Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Post High School - Now What?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:13 pm
My daughter is a senior in high school and is struggling with what to do after she graduates. Of the 45 girls in her class, about 30 are going to EY next year and some to other seminaries, and others in different directions, and she is just.... lost. She is also immature for her age and is feeling the stress of not "growing up" and being on the same schedule as her peers emotionally and educationally. I am not sure how to help her - it seems like all we do lately is yell at each other. Everything I say or do is wrong.

Are there resources out there - online, books anything I could show her that would make her feel like she is not alone? Are there any other programs that are not seminaries that she could do as a "gap year"? She has spoken to our Rebbetzin, her principal, mechanechet etc... but is still moping about. Has anyone else been in this same situation?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:19 pm
Maybe have her see a therapist who can help her dealwith her anxiety.

esuss

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:29 pm
There are professionals who could counsel her on what kind of a career will be good for her set of skills. They can also help her take that and figure out how to achieve that I.e. What courses to take etc.
her going away for a year or a few months will help her mature. That is why so many girls leave home for the year. She doesn't have to go a year to seminary there are summer programs and other options too.

Emotional

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:30 pm
Perhaps a low-key, local seminary with a half-day program? So she can leave her options open for the afternoon?
If you have such a program there?

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:49 pm
esuss wrote:
There are professionals who could counsel her on what kind of a career will be good for her set of skills. They can also help her take that and figure out how to achieve that I.e. What courses to take etc.
her going away for a year or a few months will help her mature. That is why so many girls leave home for the year. She doesn't have to go a year to seminary there are summer programs and other options too.

I agree.

Does her school have a college/career counselor?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:09 pm
What does she plan on doing after her gap year? Is this about one year, or about her future in general?

Would she look for a job? Alot of girls find themselves and their strengths when they actually work....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics