Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Forgot to shut oven before Shabbos and now it won't go on!

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 5:43 am
Anyone have experience with this? Shortly after candlelighting, I discovered that my oven (Bosch) was still on. I turned it off right after Shabbos. I'm trying to use it now for the first time since then and it won't heat up. Did I kill it? Is this something reparable? Sad

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 5:51 am
You probably didn't wreck it. And if you did then wow wow wow the schar you could earn from accepting this as part of your amazing observance of shabbas! Lots of people would have tried to turn it off with their elbow or something. But not you. my guess is you blew a fuse or something.

simba

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:29 am
I would call Bosch tech support and ask for advice. It has an auto-shut off after 12 hours so leaving it on should have not affected the unit. The question is why isn’t it hearing now. Maybe you need to restart it.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:37 am
People leave ovens running for 2 day yomtov all the time without issues, so I can’t imagine why leaving it on Shabbos should break it. So strange. Definitely call Bosch and see if they can help before calling repairman. Might be an easy fix.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:44 am
I leave ovens on all the time. One oven shuts off automatically the other stays on but I have never killed an oven like that.

Try turning it off at the main switch/plug and turning on again.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:53 am
Thanks to you all. I tried turning it off from the main switch, but it's still not working. I can hear the fan blowing, but the heating mechanism is cold. I'm going to try calling Bosch.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:25 am
It could be that the igniter went. Not necessarily because it was on for so long but that this is just the time it wore out. I recently had a repairman tell me that the lifespan of an igniter for a frumie family's oven is shorter than typical because we use it more and it gets left on for yomtov (which means it keeps cycling on and off more). Hatzlocha! I hope it's a simple solution.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:48 am
Seems to me that you need a new ignitor. How old is the oven? Maybe it just went and has nothing to do with the oven staying on.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:37 pm
We've had it for about 5 years. How long does an igniter usually last? We've never done any repairs on this oven.

Bosch's customer service said they would have to send over a technician to diagnose the problem. We're going to have a local person look at it instead for a lot cheaper.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:38 pm
Same thing happened to me once. It needed a new ignition. Likely coincidental to your leaving it on all Shabbos.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:01 pm
Agree with others that this sounds like the ignitor (aka glow plug). We recently replaced the one in our 10-year-old fleishik range for the second time.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:53 pm
Did you read your manual? It's available on the internet if you didn't keep.

I just installed a Bosch wall oven and it states that maximum time before turning off is 12 hours unless it is in Shabbos mode in which case it is 74 hours. But you have to deliberately put it into Shabbos mode.

So my question would be whether your oven should have turned off automatically at some point?

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:06 pm
My repairman said that in a frum family the igniter usually lasts 3-5 years. My oven is 8 years old and I just replaced it for the second time

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:18 pm
DH called the local repairman. He didn't have time to tell me much about the conversation, but all he said was that the man had a hearty laugh when he suggested it might be the igniter. He had to run out the door so I'm left in suspense as to why that is so funny.

Quote:
Did you read your manual? It's available on the internet if you didn't keep.

I just installed a Bosch wall oven and it states that maximum time before turning off is 12 hours unless it is in Shabbos mode in which case it is 74 hours. But you have to deliberately put it into Shabbos mode.

So my question would be whether your oven should have turned off automatically at some point?

I didn't read the manual. I should go dig it up. I don't have Shabbos mode on my oven.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:54 pm
Is your oven gas or electric? Electric ovens don't have igniitors AFAIK.
ETA- sounds like it's the heating element since you say the fan is working.....

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:53 am
It's electric. And the technician laughed for precisely that reason. He said only the stove top would have an igniter and that the oven only has a heating element.

In any case, he'll be here tomorrow to take a look.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen