Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is this not right?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:25 am
Bought shoes in a frum store, checked online when I came home and found same exact pair for $45 less!! (To be fair was because of special promo, not that frum store was so overpriced.)

They did spend time helping me in the store and would’ve never found this pair and known how they feel/look on me without store. I’m still within store return policy, is it not right to return and buy them online?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:27 am
Personally I don't think it's right, being that you used their time, help and tried on the shoe there.

Kol hakavod to you for wanting to do the right thing.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:29 am
When I see a shoe in the frum stores that I like, I check if I can get it cheaper online before I buy the shoe.
But I don't usually ask the salesman for help.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:31 am
Maybe call the store, explain exactly what you did here. Tell them you appreciate their service but $45 is a lot and your feel really bad. Can they split the difference with you? If they pride themselves on good customer service, they may be willing to work with you.

And I agree, kol hakavod on not just running back to return and trying to do the right thing!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
When I see a shoe in the frum stores that I like, I check if I can get it cheaper online before I buy the shoe.
But I don't usually ask the salesman for help.

I only asked for help because I had full intention of buying it. When I came home dh said why not check it up online, and tah dah, there it was for much cheaper..

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I only asked for help because I had full intention of buying it. When I came home dh said why not check it up online, and tah dah, there it was for much cheaper..

I understand what happened.
I don't think it's right to return them. Ask a rabbi if you'd like halachic direction.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:39 am
I wouldn't return it. My conscience wouldn't let me.
(Full disclosure: I get my shoes at Payless for approx. $20)

blessedjmom

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:41 am
Recently had the same story with a dress.
I was disappointed. But then again- the saleswoman helped me. I got to try n find the right size. Etc.
I kept the dress from the store- but honestly learnt a lesson... will check online first from now on...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:49 am
I personally wouldn’t return it. Part of the fee you paid for was service.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:50 am
Maybe my dh will ask a shaila but guess I feel too guilty returning especially since they took the time to help me. It’s probably such a struggle for them to compete with online, though $45 is money for me.
I can try asking them to come down on price but doubt they will do much for me especially since I’m a terrible negotiator..

iyar

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:54 am
amother wrote:
Maybe my dh will ask a shaila but guess I feel too guilty returning especially since they took the time to help me. It’s probably such a struggle for them to compete with online, though $45 is money for me.
I can try asking them to come down on price but doubt they will do much for me especially since I’m a terrible negotiator..

You don't need to be a good negotiator. Be straight, tell them exactly what happened, see what they say, end of story.
But from my side, I'm so glad you shared this. Like everyone else said, kol hakavod to you!

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:59 am
To specifically go into a store & use saleslady time for help, only to order online is against halacha & not morally ethical.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:01 pm
If you're going to try to return it, I'd suggest switching your perspective from one of ''negotiating'' to one of ''honestly communicating'', without being attached to an outcome. Something like, ''I'll be very honest with you, when I came home I was curious how much this costs online and I found that with my coupon I can get it for $45 less. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to meet me halfway.'' I'd go in with an open heart. He has no obligation to take it back (was it final sale?)

And you'll feel better knowing you didn't bulldoze your way to a refund.
I find that pushing to get my way leaves me feeling horrid in the end, so I prefer to speak authentically and with humility and with an open heart so the person feels I'm not attached to an outcome.

If I bulldozed my way to a refund I'd have to pay a lot more than $45 to pay for therapy to help me deal with the horrible aftertaste. But maybe that's just me.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:13 pm
dankbar wrote:
To specifically go into a store & use saleslady time for help, only to order online is against halacha & not morally ethical.

I specifically said that’s not what happened, please reread my post.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
If you're going to try to return it, I'd suggest switching your perspective from one of ''negotiating'' to one of ''honestly communicating'', without being attached to an outcome. Something like, ''I'll be very honest with you, when I came home I was curious how much this costs online and I found that with my coupon I can get it for $45 less. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to meet me halfway.'' I'd go in with an open heart. He has no obligation to take it back (was it final sale?)

And you'll feel better knowing you didn't bulldoze your way to a refund.
I find that pushing to get my way leaves me feeling horrid in the end, so I prefer to speak authentically and with humility and with an open heart so the person feels I'm not attached to an outcome.

If I bulldozed my way to a refund I'd have to pay a lot more than $45 to pay for therapy to help me deal with the horrible taste in my mouth.

Thanks for the tips! The issue is not forcing a refund as I’m still within the store return policy. It’s more of a moral issue as I used their store and time to figure out that I want to get these shoes.

chatz

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:20 pm
I don't think it's right.

Most products can be brought from multiple sources. As a consumer, I shop around before purchasing. If I find it cheaper elsewhere after the fact, that was my lack. I'll know for the future.

Additionally, you said the cheaper price is due to a promo. It's possible that it was a black Friday/cyber Monday sale and finished already.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:18 pm
I don't think m you can return it.

Try to think of it as giving the highest form.of tzeddakah ie giving another yid a job

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:24 pm
OP, if you got the shoes from the stores you can obviously afford the extra $45, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it. You have to shop around for pricing before purchasing. Its not fair to take up someone's time only to return it because you saw it for cheaper. And I think its tacky to ask the store to give it for cheaper just because you saw it for cheaper online.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think m you can return it.

Try to think of it as giving the highest form.of tzeddakah ie giving another yid a job

I like, A lot. Thumbs Up

CHAYA R

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:48 pm
If you used the stores services to fit the shoe etc I wouldnt return. I would check before I ask for help if it is cheaper online. If I wasted their time wouldnt b right.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics