Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is this not right?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:56 pm
I bought a top at a frum store for around $100. The next time I needed a top, I looked online for the same company and size.

I ended up ordering 4 different items for about $40-$50 each because I didn't like the color of the first one, something I couldn't tell on-line. I'll end up keeping 2 (if I manage to return one and maybe find someone who wants the unreturnable one).

I shop online more because I don't have koach to go to physical stores and stand on my feet a lot. You do gain a certain amount from seeing things in person and trying on.

I recently ordered a recliner online. I lke it very much but it's not all that comfortable for DH, too small, and he needs a couple pillows to lean back & relax. So this is also something that it probably makes sense to go in and try out physically.

I feel like we do need physical stores and if we all shop online the stores will disappear.

But in the case where they helped you etc I don't think it's ethical to return. To ask them for some money off might be fair, but only in a very courteous way, and if they say no, be prepared to swallow it. I like that idea of considering it as the highest form of tzedakah!

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
Bought shoes in a frum store, checked online when I came home and found same exact pair for $45 less!! (To be fair was because of special promo, not that frum store was so overpriced.)

They did spend time helping me in the store and would’ve never found this pair and known how they feel/look on me without store. I’m still within store return policy, is it not right to return and buy them online?

My rabbi told me there’s no obligation to give your money to a frum store owner if you can find the item cheaper elsewhere. What you can do is go back to the store, show them the online listing, ask them if they’ll match the cheaper price (which I’m sure will still give them a nice profit), if they refuse, return them.

Last edited by Cheiny on Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:01 pm
dankbar wrote:
To specifically go into a store & use saleslady time for help, only to order online is against halacha & not morally ethical.

Neither is overpricing.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:27 pm
If they allow returns... then they allow this

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:47 pm
Cheiny wrote:
My rabbi told me there’s no obligation to give your money to a frum store owner if you can find the item cheaper elsewhere. What you can do is go back to the store, show them the online listing, ask them if they’ll match the cheaper price (which I’m sure will still give them a nice profit), if they refuse, return them.

How are you so sure about that?

Retailers often move merchandise at cost or below to cost, to make place for more merchandise, or to avoid bigger losses.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:49 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Neither is overpricing.

Who says the item in question was overpriced. Every retailer has different overhead to consider, and just because one retailer is moving items at a very low price, doesn't mean everyone else is overpriced.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:53 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Did your Rabbi also tell you that it's ok to use a store's services, and to take up their time, with the very likelihood that you'll be importing that knowledge to use elsewhere, and not compensating them in any way?

Basically using someone for your own gain, with zero compensation for their efforts?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:57 pm
If a shoe store allows returns they don’t have a policy that states “no returns if we spent time servicing you “.
Op, it’s possible that the shoe you saw online isn’t available in your size or maybe charges a bit for shipping.. check first

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:58 pm
Cheiny wrote:

That's different than going to the store, using their services to help fit you, and then going online for the same pair.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
If a shoe store allows returns they don’t have a policy that states “no returns if we spent time servicing you “.
Op, it’s possible that the shoe you saw online isn’t available in your size or maybe charges a bit for shipping.. check first

Common sense suggests that the reason for this policy is related to being unhappy with your purchase, not to go shop around elsewhere for a lower price and then return it.

There's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. I think being a good Jew and a good person has strong connections to both, not only one.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 4:42 pm
Op here, thanks for everyone’s opinions. I ended up just keeping the store shoes and swallowed the $45 difference, just felt it was the right thing to do. (And yes obviously it was available online in my size and price included shipping.)
Since the discounted online price was due to a promo, I felt a little petty using it as bargaining leverage to the store.
As someone here said I can think of it as a form of tzedaka to make me feel better. But main reason was I just felt too guilty using their inventory and services and then go buy somewhere else.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:26 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Neither is overpricing.
she said it was not overpriced, rather the online one was a special deal. Maybe she hit a cyber week doorbuster or something. Both websites and stores will sometimes sell certain items for minimal profit or even loss if it will help them win customers. You'll be more likely to visit and hence buy things from that store or website later on.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
Op here, thanks for everyone’s opinions. I ended up just keeping the store shoes and swallowed the $45 difference, just felt it was the right thing to do. (And yes obviously it was available online in my size and price included shipping.)
Since the discounted online price was due to a promo, I felt a little petty using it as bargaining leverage to the store.
As someone here said I can think of it as a form of tzedaka to make me feel better. But main reason was I just felt too guilty using their inventory and services and then go buy somewhere else.

Applause Applause Applause Applause

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:41 pm
Yay! OP you went against your temptations & stuck up for your moral values to create a kiddish Hashem!

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:44 pm
Double post

Last edited by dankbar on Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:

I'm a saleslady in a retail store. The other week a man with an Attitude wanted to buy something. After 1.5 hours of talking to him, explaining him differences from one to the other, physically trying all pcs, he makes his selection. He sits down on a chair, takes out his phone and starts browsing the web. He comes over to me and shows me he can get this piece for 100 less than I quoted him. Mind you it was over a $2,000 purchase. I told him I cant match this price because our policy is we dont compete with online pricing. While still sitting in the store he went ahead and purchased it online. Mad

Now I really dont care what your rabbi says. You want MY expertise, time, help, opinion, see the physical pieces, try it out/on and then say you have no obligation to buy from said store? Where does frumness come into the picture at all?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:57 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a saleslady in a retail store. The other week a man with an Attitude wanted to buy something. After 1.5 hours of talking to him, explaining him differences from one to the other, physically trying all pcs, he makes his selection. He sits down on a chair, takes out his phone and starts browsing the web. He comes over to me and shows me he can get this piece for 100 less than I quoted him. Mind you it was over a $2,000 purchase. I told him I cant match this price because our policy is we dont compete with online pricing. While still sitting in the store he went ahead and purchased it online. Mad

Now I really dont care what your rabbi says. You want MY expertise, time, help, opinion, see the physical pieces, try it out/on and then say you have no obligation to buy from said store? Where does frumness come into the picture at all?

My guess is the Rabbi was asked if you are required to support the local shop, if their prices are higher than online. He was probably not presented with a set of facts that included going into the store and giving someone the impression that you were going to purchase something - and then not. That is a halchik no.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:58 pm
amother wrote:

Oy. You couldn't offer him a first time customer discount? I hope you didn't loose a commission. That's awful.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:

He had the chutzpah to do that in front of you after harassing you for over an hour?? I don’t know about Halacha, but that’s taking bad middos and rudeness to a whole new level..

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:21 pm
Snap a photo and then Call the store and ask them for a discount.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics