Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is this not right?
Previous  1  2  3

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
Oy. You couldn't offer him a first time customer discount? I hope you didn't loose a commission. That's awful.

For $100 less on a $2,000+ purchase, the store should have given the discoint. It's only 5%. I'm sorry for the amother who posted that; however, she should be given a right to deal with such situations up to say 10% or something... stores have to compete with online pricing or they'll look like Toys T Us

chatz

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm a saleslady in a retail store. The other week a man with an Attitude wanted to buy something. After 1.5 hours of talking to him, explaining him differences from one to the other, physically trying all pcs, he makes his selection. He sits down on a chair, takes out his phone and starts browsing the web. He comes over to me and shows me he can get this piece for 100 less than I quoted him. Mind you it was over a $2,000 purchase. I told him I cant match this price because our policy is we dont compete with online pricing. While still sitting in the store he went ahead and purchased it online. Mad

Now I really dont care what your rabbi says. You want MY expertise, time, help, opinion, see the physical pieces, try it out/on and then say you have no obligation to buy from said store? Where does frumness come into the picture at all?

That's horrible.

I've learnt that going into a store and using their time/services with no intention of buying is stealing.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
My guess is the Rabbi was asked if you are required to support the local shop, if their prices are higher than online. He was probably not presented with a set of facts that included going into the store and giving someone the impression that you were going to purchase something - and then not. That is a halchik no.

There is also a threshold of how big the difference has to be in order to justify buying elsewhere. I forget the exact ratio but I am quite sure that $100/2000 wouldn't qualify.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:41 pm
chatz wrote:
That's horrible.

I've learnt that going into a store and using their time/services with no intention of buying is stealing.

I often go into stores just to browse when I have no intention of buying. Like ikea, or the container store, homemakers haven, or other stores I enjoy.
Oftentimes I end up spending much more than I should have. Lol. Sometimes I walk out with nothing.
But I've learned that it's ok to go into a store to enjoy the browsing. I have family working in stores. They say they don't mind as long as the person is respectful, quiet and doesn't bother them. And if I'm offered help, I say, "I'd like to just browse around a little is that ok?"

Asking for helpor walking into stores with the idea that I'm just coming to look then buy online is just not right.

I once walked into a store that had a huge sign "all shoes 50%off. So I walked in, took a pair, paid for it.
I was in a rush so I didn't check my receipt. Got home and then I saw I was charged full price. I would NEVER have bought that shoe for full price. I called up the store and told them they made a mistake. The lady told me "oh no, that sale was only for 7 days two weeks ago" I told them then they need to take the sign down! It practically covered their whole window wall and was visible from the other end of the mall.
I was really upset. It would cost me close to $50 and half a day of traveling just to get back to that store. It wasn't worth returning it of course.
But I've never stepped foot into one of their stores after that.
The shoe was very comfy and my husband found that same shoe on sale for $30. So I made for that shoe 4x the price.... he ordered two more in different colors. So I had it for next year too.

It goes both ways. We have to be respectful and truthful and I also expect the same from the store staff when I visit.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:24 pm
As I mentioned above, some items, such as furniture, are better seen and tried out in a brick and mortar store. If you go to such a store, you need to realize that it costs the owner money to keep inventory, to pay rent and utilities, etc. So while you may find the item cheaper online, if you use the convenience of seeing the actual piece, sitting on it etc, it's simply not ethical to do that and then order online.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:30 pm
I’m not saying this makes it right, but this practice (of visiting a physical store to check out things you want to buy online), is so common, that there’s an official word for it. It’s called “showrooming”

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:20 pm
Some credit cards will give you the difference if you paid for the item with your card and find a lower price within a certain amount of time. That could be a good option in this type of situation. I love this benefit on my Citibank card.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:01 pm
amother wrote:
Some credit cards will give you the difference if you paid for the item with your card and find a lower price within a certain amount of time. That could be a good option in this type of situation. I love this benefit on my Citibank card.

Chase Sapphire Reserve used to do this, but they stopped. Which Citibank card do you have?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:18 pm
amother wrote:

That’s so interesting .. never heard of this
I guess it helps limit back charges

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Chase Sapphire Reserve used to do this, but they stopped. Which Citibank card do you have?

Discover also recently ended their program. I think all Citibank cards are eligible for Citi Price Rewind but I have a MasterCard. So far it's been pretty straightforward to make a claim.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 1:48 am
I'd say this whole thing is a very grey area.
The fact that a rabbi said it's okay to go buy something online instead of in jewish stores I'm sure was in regard to someone who didn't go and use the services of a store, only to buy it online after.
After all, do we know what is right?
can we make our own decisions?
a rabbi must always be asked.
I am pretty sure that a Rabbi would say something to this effect, "If you were a yerei shamayim and want to do the very best you should keep it and swallow the loss, but technically if you need to, you can return the item".
After all, Jewish law doesn't require us to swallow such losses, and we are not required to shop in jewish stores rather than online...
it's a matter of what kind of person you hold yourself to be, a lechatchilah person, or a bedieved person.
side note: I can imagine what the difference of the olam haboh would be for the two...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics