Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If you meet a social media celebrity face-to-face

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:11 pm
If you meet a social media celebrity face-to-face for the first time do you embraced them in a hug?
I see it is so common for women in around to give a huge hug to a person they’ve finally met and always wanted to meet.

I shy away from touching people I don’t know.
But then I feel like I come across weird and the crowd where everybody is hugging !

What do you do?

sequoia

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:13 pm
You mean like Flatbush Girl?

I’d just say hi. I’m a hugger, but not everyone is.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:

But then I feel like I come across weird and the crowd where everybody is hugging !

What do you do?

I like to be me, no matter what others around me are doing. Easier said than done.
Personally, I wouldn't hug someone I've just met for the first time, (except for a newborn baby)

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:25 pm
Thanks for the replies .
I’m just scared not to come across small beer something. People are hugging and I’m just like, hey back off Very Happy

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:33 pm
sequoia wrote:
You mean like Flatbush Girl?

I’d just say hi. I’m a hugger, but not everyone is.

I’m NOT a hugger, so I would wait for them to make the first move.
I’ve met a few, and I have to say I was much more impressed with the interpersonal skills of some, while I was really turned off by others.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:

I’m just scared not to come across small beer something. People are hugging and I’m just like, hey back off Very Happy

Yeah, and your backing off is a living model to those who are overriding their gut instincts.

InnerMe

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:49 pm
Why would I hug someone just because they are a celebrity? I hug someone I'm close to. I just say hi, and if I enjoy their stuff I tell them so but I wouldn't hug.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:01 pm
I'm a hugger but I don't think it's appropriate to try to hug someone you've literally just met. Are social media celebrities different to other celebrities? Because I can't imagine a normal celebrity being okay with any fan randomly approaching them and just hugging them.

Anyway, if you're in a hugging setting and don't want to hug, just hang back a bit with your arms loosely crossed or stick out your hand for a shake. People generally take such social cues.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:20 pm
My DH is well known on social media, not exactly a celebrity but in his niche he has quite a following. People do come up to him pretty often. He's a guy so I think a hug would be weird, but usually they'll talk about a recent post of his as if they are older friends. It's sort of weird because they feel like they know you but you have no idea who they are. Once a photographer at a wedding we attended as guest recognized DH from FB and took some extra shots of us at the table and sent them on FB that was nice.
My MIL doesn't realize that DH has thousnds of FB (he's very active on Twitter as well) friends and occasionally she'll refer to strangers and say oh you know so and so, she's your friendon FB. To her, if your friends on FB you must really know each other.

ETA a large portion of the "fans" who come up to DH or reach out to him in real life are weirdos or come off as socially awkward. You don't want that. I'm referring to the people who are sure they are best friends with DH because they follow him on social media. The normal ones are those who say, hey I follow you and appreciate your posts.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:18 pm
I wouldn't hug someone I didn't know from real life, and I would also prefer if someone who only knew me online (I'm anonymous here but in other forums I use my name) also didn't hug me. Let's start by talking, OK?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:36 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Why would I hug someone just because they are a celebrity? I hug someone I'm close to. I just say hi, and if I enjoy their stuff I tell them so but I wouldn't hug.

This. I met quiet a few lately. I did just this.

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:06 pm
Wouldn’t enter my mind to hug . I would give a nice hello.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:09 pm
I wouldn’t know a social media celebrity—or any other celeb— if I tripped over her, but if I did—why would I even think to hug her? Why would I want to and why would I imagine I have the right to? I may feel as if I “know” her from her online presence, but in reality she is a complete stranger and initiating physical contact would be inexcusable.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 12:23 pm
No I wouldn't hug, and I'm definitely the type who hugs but not stranger
I once asked a politician for a selfie with him and he put his arm around my waist. I was so taken aback I didn't move. It's not right. (this isn't the pic some might have seen a couple years ago)

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
If you meet a social media celebrity face-to-face for the first time do you embraced them in a hug?
I see it is so common for women in around to give a huge hug to a person they’ve finally met and always wanted to meet.

What do you do?

I don’t consider people who publicize their lives on social media “celebrities.” Actually I have no respect for them.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:12 pm
I just keep walking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette