Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Social gathering etiquette

SmartWife

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:07 pm
Social butterflies this is for you. Please advise me. I’m often unsure of the following at social gatherings
1. I see two people talking, I know only one, is it ok to say tap my friend and say hi? What about talking about something that would leave the other person out of the conversation?
2. When I’m talking to someone and a friend I don’t know comes to say hi and they are yapping away, do I stand there and listen, wait nearby so I can continue my conversation, or walk away. If walk away do I say something before I leave?
3. I want to be friendly and meet new people. I see a lady I would like to introduce myself to. How do I start the conversation. What can I talk about?
That’s it for now Smile

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 5:31 pm
SmartWife wrote:
Social butterflies this is for you. Please advise me. I’m often unsure of the following at social gatherings
1. I see two people talking, I know only one, is it ok to say tap my friend and say hi? What about talking about something that would leave the other person out of the conversation?
2. When I’m talking to someone and a friend I don’t know comes to say hi and they are yapping away, do I stand there and listen, wait nearby so I can continue my conversation, or walk away. If walk away do I say something before I leave?
3. I want to be friendly and meet new people. I see a lady I would like to introduce myself to. How do I start the conversation. What can I talk about?
That’s it for now Smile

1. Approach, wait for friend to catch your eye, wave hello and keep going. Not ok to intrude on a convo unless invited.

2. Second friend is intruding on your convo. No need for you to move away. You can listen in since she barged in on you. If this convo excluding you (rude, rude, rude!) goes on for a long time, feel free to leave. Take the high road and wave buh-bye first.

3. Hello, my name is Smart Wife, and you are...? Aliza? Nice to meet you, Aliza. Then you remark on the event, compliment her on something (Excuse my making a personal remark but I love your dress, it’s so elegant, or, I’ve seen you a few times and wanted to introduce myself because you always look so cheerful or fun or friendly or stylish) or ask her if she lives here and if so how long has she lived here, how did she hear about the event, how she knows the chosson or kallah if it’s a wedding, where is she from originally, (which will naturally segue into Jewish Geography), what does she think of the speaker...

Hopefully she will give you more than monosyllabic answers and keep the ball rolling. You, in turn, must tell her about yourself in between, otherwise you’ll sound like a job interviewer.

L K

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 3:58 pm
2 always happens to me Sad

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 5:02 pm
zaq wrote:
Approach, wait for friend to catch your eye, wave hello and keep going. Not ok to intrude on a convo unless invited.

Would be awfully nice if this fact were noted, understood, and practiced. I just came home from a Chanukah party in which I didn't get to finish a single conversation with anyone because of the constant interruptions. Why do I bother...

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 11:19 am
I started a very similar thread last year. You might be interested in reading the replies. I was definitely interested to read what was posted here as it's something I'm still working on to some extent!

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....22030
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette