Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Holding in poop

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:54 pm
I started toliet training my almost 3 yr old over Shabbos. I think I traumatized him in the process. he was holding in and wouldn't go to the bathroom so I sat him on the potty and he was petrified bit ended up going. He ended up going but now when he goes to morah he will not go. Also he hasn't pooped since Shabbos what can I do to make him poop I'm scared he's going to get constipated

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:43 pm
I had the same problem with my son. He didn’t go in playgroup for a few days. What I did was every time I picked him up I took him to the bathroom.... after a week he got comfortable going there.
As far as the poop, my son got really constipated... I tried laxative suppositories, which didn’t really help. I started putting prune juice into his bottle so he would need to go.
And I used miralax if he hadn’t pooped in 2 days. Even in his diaper.

Don’t traumatize him about it. Be very calm and cool about the process. Make it exciting, sit with him and read him books. What helped was to tickle him, and try to get him to laugh.
I also made him blow air through his mouth, and blow bubbles through a straw in milk... got these ideas through google... it’s supposed to help them release....
Good luck!!! The poop took me a good two weeks to get under control. The whole process took about 4 weeks....

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:54 pm
When my kid went through a poop-holding phase as a toddler, I brought out mega bribes. We had zero nosh in the house other than that, but every time she pooped she got a big nosh. Because frankly it's usually a temporary phase and the important thing is to get them out of it any way you can, as quickly as possible. The longer it goes on, the more traumatic experiences pile up and the harder it gets.

I know that doesn't work so simply for some people, but it's definitely something to try.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 12:54 am
Omg my kid did that.
Best advice I ever got-
to put a teaspoon olive oil into his bottle once a day until he gets used to pooping.
It kept his stools loose and forced him to go,

salt

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:44 am
Ask him if he prefers a diaper for pooping.
Until he's ready. Not so bad if he holds it in while he's in daycare, and then you put a diaper on for him at home.
Have a prize waiting for him (that he knows about) that he'll get when he decides he's ready to go without diapers. In the meantime, just put a diaper on him each time he needs to poop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training