Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Working with teens at risk- book discussions

amother

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 9:51 am
Do you work with teens at risk? In what way? Meaning, do you have one? Are you mentoring one? Are you working with an organization/school? Or all of the above? Are you the therapist of one?

Knowing the girls you work with, what would you think of reading a book with the girl/girls and discussing it with them? The book being about a teen at risk and the issues she deals with, and then how she overcomes them. The book touches on lots of issues that are never really brought up, and the book can be a good way to bring it up indirectly. Meaning, not asking the girls "were you ever raped" or "has anyone offered you drugs?" but rather, discuss "Why do you think Sarala in the book turned down the drugs?" Or "How do you think Sarala felt when she was raped?"

Knowing the teens that you work with, do you think a book like that could be a way to open them up and help them?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 10:12 am
I'm a PARENT of them.

If I can get the books, sure I'd read them and discuss them.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 10:28 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I'm a PARENT of them.

If I can get the books, sure I'd read them and discuss them.

would your daughter be willing to read a book like this?
And would you have a problem if its not completely G rated, but rather has topics that a regular jewish publisher would never print?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 11:56 am
I have no idea if my kids would read the books, they'd skim them, for sure, if I left them out. ds might read it.

I just requested Real Jews from the library.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
"How do you think Sarala felt when she was raped?"

Um, what are the choices? I mean ... come on!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 2:36 pm
I was raped and I brought it up when I felt like it it my own time. When I felt ready, If she had brought it up beforehand Iprobably wouldve felt that I HAD to bring it up now that it was being discussed.

I also work with at risk kids and I'm not sure it would be such a good idea. I let them do the talking, I just let them know that someone is there if they want to talk.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 10 2007, 7:30 pm
I got Real Jews but it's written by Reconsyructionists, you know. DH isn't so excited about leaving it out for the kids to thumb through.

Sorry about that.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 7:43 am
I work with at risk and have had one. I don't recommend books or counseling. lack of direct interaction as opposed to flipping them off on someone else is a major part of the problem to begin with.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:05 am
Motek wrote:
amother wrote:
"How do you think Sarala felt when she was raped?"

Um, what are the choices? I mean ... come on!

it is NOT a question of the choices ... but rather how can one bring out the ability to talk about it ... sometimes they can relate to talking about others instead of themself ...

I don't think my girls would read it ... they would laugh it off ... true rebels ...

I also think the direct approach letting them know they can talk to you about them is important like imaonwheels said ... they matter they count - it's about them ... cause all to often they feel nobody even cares ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics