Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Becoming an uber driver in nyc

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:08 pm
Anyone a driver for uber? Anyone's DH? My husband is trying to think of ways to make extra money.

How much money do you actually come home with?

Do you get paid on a 1099?

Do you need to get commercial insurance?

My husband is open to other types of driving jobs that can be done at odd hours. Any suggestions smart ladies of imamother?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:44 pm
According to the research I've done so far, it makes more sense to drive for Lyft.

https://www.ridesharingdriver......idea/

I recently spoke with an MTA bus operator - he said her earned 60k the first year and now he's earning over 120k (don't remember how many years he's been at this). Great benefits, great pension. I'd look into that.

There's a fellow who used to be a checkout clerk at Super13 in B.P. He went on to become a bus driver for the MTA, he told me it pays a whole lot more.

If dh has a car, I think he has nothing to lose by signing up for Lyft/uber/via, etc. Lyft pays really well during surge in Manhattan.

I'm in the process of applying myself. One step at a time. He'll need to have completed a defensive driving course in the past year (or is it three years?)

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:49 pm
info re 1099

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:53 pm
Very unlikely you can get a job with the mta. Its a cartel and only friends of friends get those cushy jobs.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:00 pm
Oops , just realized op's dh wants to earn extra money....MTA isn't for ''extra money''. I think it's a full time job.

Look at the Lyft/Uber website, see what other drivers are saying.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
According to the research I've done so far, it makes more sense to drive for Lyft.

https://www.ridesharingdriver......idea/

I recently spoke with an MTA bus operator - he said her earned 60k the first year and now he's earning over 120k (don't remember how many years he's been at this). Great benefits, great pension. I'd look into that.

There's a fellow who used to be a checkout clerk at Super13 in B.P. He went on to become a bus driver for the MTA, he told me it pays a whole lot more.

If dh has a car, I think he has nothing to lose by signing up for Lyft/uber/via, etc. Lyft pays really well during surge in Manhattan.

I'm in the process of applying myself. One step at a time. He'll need to have completed a defensive driving course in the past year (or is it three years?)

Dont most people call uber? I have never used lyft before.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:12 pm
I check the prices on both and go with whichever one is cheaper (which is actually typically lyft)

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I check the prices on both and go with whichever one is cheaper (which is actually typically lyft)

I've spoken with many uber drivers who told me their take-home pay is lower than their take-home pay from Lyft rides.
Drivers often drive for both Lyft and Uber (and/or Via and/or Juno)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
I've spoken with many uber drivers who told me their take-home pay is lower than their take-home pay from Lyft rides.
Drivers often drive for both Lyft and Uber (and/or Via and/or Juno)

Thank you!

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:21 pm
Do you need commercial car insurance?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
Do you need commercial car insurance?

I'm not familiar. Try a google search?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:52 pm
I just googled. If anyone else is interested it seems uber and lyft provide extra insurance for the driver when they are on the job.

Thanks everyone for your help. Seems like this is a viable way to make some much needed extra income.

NewYorkgal31

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:21 pm
I think you need to own your car and have tlc plates which can be pricey... make sure to look into that.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:23 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
I think you need to own your car and have tlc plates which can be pricey... make sure to look into that.

Or you can rent from a place that rents out cars specifically to Lyft/uber drivers.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:06 am
NewYorkgal31 wrote:

Thank you

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:11 am
1099 independent contractor

4everhappy

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:53 am
amother wrote:

There's an app called bellhop which gives you the price from lyft and uber so dont need to check them out separate.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 1:23 pm
My friend drives for lyft and says he averages $45 an hour. He likes to drive very late at night or very early morning.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 1:32 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
My friend drives for lyft and says he averages $45 an hour. He likes to drive very late at night or very early morning.

This is encouraging. Which area?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics