Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Middle school boys and behavior

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:45 pm
I work in a boys yeshiva and the behavior is not great. There is little respect for the teachers. It's making me really hate my job. I spend hours and hours creating curriculum (because there is none!!!) and grading papers, etc. and they just treat me so poorly sometimes. It's so upsetting because I never had this in any other school that I've been at. Do any of you work in a yeshiva setting? How are your boys?

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:27 pm
I teach at a public school where behavior is definitely an issue. It's so disheartening! You put so many hours into planning, you try to make it engaging and meaningful, and you have nothing but their best interests at heart. Then they're rude and disrespectful. I totally get it. I really put my foot down this year when it comes to behavior because I was so sick of it. I address it every single time ("excuse me, we do not speak like that in this class"). I call home and tell their parents what happened. I get very strict about grades, walking around with a clipboard and constantly standing near the troublemakers and "jotting things down." On the flip side, building relationships goes a long way! You can start by praising them when they do well. They're often surprised and don't expect it. Sometimes as I'm walking around I'll stop at one of their desks and initiate a little chit chat to build rapport.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:51 pm
Thanks for replying. The funny thing is, this is my first time in a yeshiva. I was always in the public school system and even when I had a rough population, they understood respect. These kids are so entitled! The chutzpah. Where are the middos?

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:53 pm
That's really disappointing to hear. I always fantasized that in the future I'd switch over to day school. I assumed it would really mitigate the behavioral issues.... guess kids are kids anywhere Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics