Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
6 year ds comes home wet every day

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:56 pm
My 6 yr old ds has been coming home wet or jumping that he has to go to the bathroom. I have spoken to his teacher to remind him to go. This week he was wet everyday and if im not home he will sit in it until he gets into pajamas. this is a fairly new thing. Is there anything I can do for it any advice will be appreciative

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:58 pm
Tell him to go to the bathroom right before leaving school. Ask the teacher to remind him.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:07 pm
op here I spoke to her at the beginning of the week. ds said she reminded him but still came home wet

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:28 pm
Find out why he doesn't want to use the bathroom in school. This is fairly common: boys peeking, bathroom is dirty and gross. You probably need to talk it over and help him troubleshoot so he's more comfortable using the bathroom in school.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:47 pm
We have a similar issue with my son, and we think it is stemming from anxiety.
In any case, we put him on a set toileting schedule. There is a clock in the classroom and he goes at his set times each day. We also gave him a checklist, so he can check off that he actually went.

dankbar

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:48 pm
Could be he was touched in schools bathroom?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:55 pm
My son had 2 #2 accidents. He's in aftercare and that extra hour + really affected him because he refused to make #2 in the potty. I started a system. I went to amazing savings with my son and bought this huge bin of animals that he wanted. I gave them to the teacher and now, every time he makes #2, he gets an animal. He hasn't had an accident since! It's amazing how easy it was to solve such a huge issue.

octopus

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:02 pm
6 years old is first grade. The teachers can remind students to go, but they are not going to deal with major bathroom issues.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 1:50 am
When I started school I refused to go to the bathroom there. Came home with wet clothes many times... Even though I was embarrassed. I don't remember why exactly I didn't want to use the bathroom.. it smelled /wasn't as clean as at home, I was scared of older kids and I didn't like the transition from Kindergarten to school. In kindergarten we had small toilets and loads of them, I think 15 kids could go at once. They were pretty and it was "fun" to go. In school they were white, dirty, smelly .. and there were only 5 toilets.
And also it bothered me that there were many people waiting outside and I was pressured. It was a big issue. My mom asked one of my sisters to take me to the bathroom during the breaks and then it got better. I think by the time I went to second grade I went by myself.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 2:05 am
My son is 6. Before school began I spoke with him about using the bathroom in school. He told me that he WONT go in school. I told him he HAS to go... holding it in is not an option..,
This is the first year the boys are in a big school with public style bathrooms... we are lucky because even though we spoke about it a lot, my son was still afraid... his Rebbi makes an official bathroom time every day... once n the beginning of the year he came home plotzing... he didn’t go that day ... I told him I will tell his teacher to make sure he goes from now on... he didn’t want that and goes by himself every day.
I think you need to work with the teacher to establish an official bathroom time. You might even have to go to school and bring him to the bathroom until he gets used to it and sees that it’s okay to use thie school bathroom.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:21 am
Are these toilets louder than the kindergarten toilets? I know a lot of kids are terrified of all the flushing sounds. It is literally painful to their sensitive ears.

Ask your son what he doesn't like about the bathrooms. If he says "I dunno", give him a list to get him started. "Is a boy picking on you? Is the seat too high? Is it stinky in there?" etc.

Of course, it could just be that he gets so involved in what he is doing, that he's not aware until it's too late. That is by far the most common reason. Get him a watch with an alarm, and let the teacher know that he needs to go when the alarm goes off.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:03 am
dankbar wrote:
Could be he was touched in schools bathroom?

Um? This comment seems like a pretty extreme overexaggeration. Why would you even put this into OP's head?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:22 am
op here he does not like when the toilet is flushed we are working on that. he is that type of kid that gets distracted and will also forget until its too late I will speak to the teacher again but by now it is such a habit that im not sure how to break it

amother
Green

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:23 am
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this. We had this with my daughter at the same age. I think it was the transition to longer hours, gross school bathroom, noisy, etc. all the things ppl mentioned as well as so many sensory stimuli that she had a hard time listening to her body and forgot to go or forgot to plan in time. We had a lot of other things to deal with academically for her and couldn't overwhelm her, and so I chose to just verbally encourage her and kind of overlooked it. When she came home from the bus I just told her to change her panties if they were wet and tried not to let my frustration and anxiety show. Eventually she learned to regulate herself, it took about a year and b'h its a thing of the past. Hope that gives you some encouragement Smile

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:41 pm
red flag for abuse. take him out of school for two weeks, do an evaluation, lots of love. not a for sure, but keep your eyes and ears WIDE open.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
red flag for abuse. take him out of school for two weeks, do an evaluation, lots of love. not a for sure, but keep your eyes and ears WIDE open.

I don’t think that’s true. A lot of little kids have bathroom issues
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training