Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Weird names for items in your house
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 7:37 am
Do you have a weird name for things in your house? For example, growing up we had a table at the bottom of the stairs that we didn't know what to call it and it ended up being called, George. My sister after she got married has a table in her foyer and she also calls it George Smile . We have the wooden plank curtain type things for the windows. I think in Israel they're called trisim. I never remember what they call it here, so I call it the thingy majiggy. I'm not sure if that really counts because almost everything that I can't think of the name, I call thingy majiggy. Confused

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 7:49 am
A tv remote was called a “nee-er” after the sound of an old TV set shutting off.

I think an entire generation calls immersion blenders “zhuzhers” after the sound they make.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 7:56 am
bigsis144 wrote:

I think an entire generation calls immersion blenders “zhuzhers” after the sound they make.

My mom always calls it a "zhuzher" ... I just thought she was getting older... Didn't realize it was a thing Very Happy

little neshamala

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:26 am
Yup, we call them zhuzhers too

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:27 am
Shpritz for spray
My son started calling the thing to unblock toilets a faubourg. We followed suit

Teomima

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:28 am
I like this thread Smile
I buy those super cheap Ikea pillows to use as stuffing material for sewing projects. To store the unused stuffing I bought an Ikea throw pillow cover. It's ended up being used as just another couch pillow and we call it the "sadly empty pillow."

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:40 am
[quote="yo'ma”]. We have the wooden plank curtain type things for the windows. I think in Israel they're called trisim. . Confused[/quote]

Venetian blinds or just blinds. Unless you mean shutters.
Thingamajig is a standard term for “something for which I don’t know the correct name”. Also thingummy, doohickey, whatsacallit, whatchamacallit, whatsit.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:41 am
singleagain wrote:
My mom always calls it a "zhuzher" ... I just thought she was getting older... Didn't realize it was a thing Very Happy
Sure is. Easier to say than “immersion blender”. Even a word nerd like me uses it. But not in formal writing.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:45 am
We probably do but we’re so used to them we don’t think of them a family-coined terms any more.

My mother used to call ice cream “ di zisseh di kalteh” when she didn’t want children to understand.

Metukah

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:23 am
bigsis144 wrote:
A tv remote was called a “nee-er” after the sound of an old TV set shutting off.

We sometimes call the action of blending 'buzhing'. As in 'I buzhed the soup' 'Are you buzhing the soup?'.

We call the contraption just a belnder, when we want to be more specific we use hand blender. Occasionally I will used just the word 'stick' . Only where it make sense. 'Did you buzh the tomato dip with the stick or food processor'? 'I want to buzh my cream of chicken soup, can I borrow your meaty stick?'

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:35 am
Metukah wrote:
We sometimes call the action of blending 'buzhing'. As in 'I buzhed the soup' 'Are you buzhing the soup?'.

We call the contraption just a belnder, when we want to be more specific we use hand blender. Occasionally I will used just the word 'stick' . Only where it make sense. 'Did you buzh the tomato dip with the stick or food processor'? 'I want to buzh my cream of chicken soup, can I borrow your meaty stick?'

Is there an imamother thread for “I’m sorry, I gave a dirty mind and found this purple prose delightful/hysterically funny”?

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:40 am
Last shabbat my Italian catholic friend and I were just discussing how to spell jzuzzer it zhjuzzer or whatever.

The other family called their urn a moaner.

A friend of mine told her two year old that a silo was a tuna fish when she couldn’t think of the word and it stuck.

We called a whole turkey ‘murphy’ when I was growing up .

Metukah

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:42 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Is there an imamother thread for “I’m sorry, I gave a dirty mind and found this purple prose delightful/hysterically funny”?

you are filthy

TMI TMI LOL LOL

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:43 am
zaq wrote:

Thingamajig is a standard term for “something for which I don’t know the correct name”. Also thingummy, doohickey, whatsacallit, whatchamacallit, whatsit.

DH says thingybob

clowny

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:08 am
When I was growing up, my married sister bought these extra large storage bags aka challah bags, by the case. Since it’s a very large box the only place she found where to keep it was behind the door in her seforim room. Therefore she called it a seforim room bag. Fast forward 25 years, I too call it a seforim room bag. Although I’ve never kept it in the seforim room.

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:13 am
singleagain wrote:

How do you pronounce the "zh" sound?
Is it a combined "sh" and "j" sound?

InnerMe

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:15 am
SuperWify wrote:
DH says thingybob

BIL says eezay, I have no clue where that comes from.
Dh just used a weird sounding yiddish word recently for this.. I can't remember it.
I say watchmacallit or shmigeggy. Lol. These words sounds so weird when you write them.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:18 am
InnerMe wrote:

Yeah I think so

trixx

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:25 am
InnerMe wrote:

Like the x in luxury

icebreaker

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:28 am
We call hair scrunchies bobos and I have no clue how or why. I remember asking my coworker for a scrunchie but called it bobo and she was like "a what?" LOL She told me in her family, they use bobo for pacifier and she thought I was asking her for a pacifier lol.
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics