Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Berachya
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:26 am
This is DS's name and we keep hearing feedback that it is overly feminine. What do you think (His English name is Barney, which is a cartoon character, but we are Chassidish so English names are strictly for doctors and eventually work.)

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:29 am
did you name him after the character? If he will use that for work, it might not seem so "professional"
is berachya a yiddish name? I've never heard it before.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
did you name him after the character? If he will use that for work, it might not seem so "professional"
is berachya a yiddish name? I've never heard it before.

No, I named him after his great grandfather who was Berachya and Barney in English.

I actually work with a high profile executive who is named Barney, but it is a nn for Barnaby. Berachya is Hebrew and is the name of a figure in the Gemara. Barney is certainly more professional in work than Blake or Blaze, although I assume that will change with time. I just noted the character because if I would be secular I'm not sure I'd name my kid Barney because it would be odd to go through childhood like that, but people grow us as adults and don't associate it with the purple dino.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:32 am
If the question pertains to a baby which has already been born and named, then I am not sure what you would do with the responses you would get here.

Are you looking for a nickname?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:33 am
DrMom wrote:
If the question pertains to a baby which has already been born and named, then I am not sure what you would do with the responses you would get here.

Are you looking for a nickname?

Yes, nicknames are welcome. Someone told DH we should call him Baruch, since it's probably related to Berachya, but I don't think I'd want to call DS by an entirely different name. I'm also curious how feminine it sounds to people here.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:37 am
You might call him Beri.

hodeez

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:08 am
Berachya doesn't sound at all feminine to me, I actually really like that name for a boy

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:11 am
Berachya doesn't sound feminine to me. I think it's fine.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:34 am
I love it!!!!! DH works with a Berachya, and he's one of the nicest, most chilled out people we know. May your dear Berachya grow up to be a true tzaddik, as his name suggests!

And it doesn't sound feminine to me, so no worries there.
-----

On a completely different note

Who on earth would criticise a baby's name? It's his name, for Heaven's sake!

oliveoil

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:45 am
It sounds like the feminine version of Baruch someone would give if they didn't know about the name bracha. But people get used to these things. I don't think you need to worry. (I would worry more about the Barney!)

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:50 am
It doesn't sound feminine at all. If someone would want to feminize a name like Berach, for example, (which, by the way could be a nickname - maybe it is just short for Berachya?) they would add a hey, not a yud and a hey.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:57 am
https://he.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/רבי_ברכיה

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it's an insult to the critic if they don't know who Rabbi Berachya is - his name shows up everywhere in midrashim. Their ignorance brays like a donkey in a lion's skin.

OP, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your little man.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:09 am
This might be specific to your community. I’ve never heard of the name but I’m not chassidish.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
This is DS's name and we keep hearing feedback that it is overly feminine. What do you think (His English name is Barney, which is a cartoon character, but we are Chassidish so English names are strictly for doctors and eventually work.)

Brachy is the Hebrew version of Bruchy. BRACHY IS NOT BERACHYA. But Dont explain yourself to anyone.

Especially, since people in Israel have thrown away names like Ruchy, Bruchy, Devory, Malka, Leah. They prefer trendy names. In any given class born within the past six years their are probably 10 Tamars 6 Avigayils, six Shiras etc.

Chasidim, to their credit have kept the baby naming as mesorah to honor the past generation.
Be proud of such a chashuve name and your son will catch onto the pride!

mommyhood

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:09 am
I don't think Berachya is feminine, but I'm cringing that you put Barney on the birth certificate it's just so unusual.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:36 am
I'd never heard of the name, but when I heard it I thought it was a boy's name. Doesn't sound feminine at all to me. Why? Just because it ends with the letter "a"? So do Yehuda, Ezra, Yona, Micah, Akiva...

WastingTime

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 11:37 am
My son had a Beirach in his class, short for Berachya

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:01 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I don't think Berachya is feminine, but I'm cringing that you put Barney on the birth certificate it's just so unusual.

Lol it's less unusual than Berachya in English ;-). Interestingly enough, Barney does not seem unusual to me. One of my other sons is Herman, which I think is more unusual today.

etky

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:13 pm
We have a Brachy in our community (a man in his fifties). It's short for Brechyahu, the father of Assaf, as in Mizmor Le'Assaf, according to Divrei Hayamim.
Never occured to me that is sounded feminine.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
Lol it's less unusual than Berachya in English ;-). Interestingly enough, Barney does not seem unusual to me. One of my other sons is Herman, which I think is more unusual today.

Wow... the English names you chose are really not used anymore. They were popular 75 years ago if not more. You will really only find old timers with those English names.

I think if you are chassidish Beirach would go over better than beirachya
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names