Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Payless Social Experiment
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 1:07 pm
keym wrote:
I buy for myself almost exclusive Payless. Because I like having lots of different shoes but I don't really have the budget. So before sukkos, I spent $100 on 5 pairs instead of just 1.
But there is no way not to know. They feel junky, many are not waterproof, they smell different.
I really have a hard time believing that all these "fashion influencers" couldn't tell the difference. It just feels unbelievable to me.

Yeah, I think they brought in different shoes.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 30 2018, 3:09 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I don't think that payless shoes are good quality. I think the people were fooled, and this just shows you that many people don't know how to recognize quality merchandise. They rely on the label, which is often misleading - label does not necessarily mean quality.

I remember a couple of years ago, we had a Bar Mitzva in the family and I bought all 3 of my daughters (at the time they were 11, 8, and 1) pretty silvery sparkly skirts from The Children's Place, matched with pretty pink sweaters from the sales rack of a much more expensive store. They looked adorable on my girls, and I got tons of compliments. Some of my more designer-savvy relatives could not believe that the skirts were from TCP.

But quality they were not. The sparkly washed out of the skirts pretty quickly. However, they did the job for the Simcha and I got my money's worth.

TCP had 4 items I but there,
knit tops - they last forever. One kid used two tops from them for 2 years now my other kid is a year in. Still looks great. Can be passed on still after she outgrows it.
Tights and leggings when they go on sale for under $2 (or leggings under $4). For that price.....
On the rare occasion that they have cotton valour things for babies.
And cotton summer pj.
I dress my kids for peanuts and they always look nice and neat and up to date.

I'm good with the sewing machine, so I make sure their stuff fits right for them. A salsa dress for $11 from jcrew that didn't sell cuz the style was too wide, I'll just take it in in 3 minutes....

Every store has their specialties. You just have to figure it out.

There is a store in Brooklyn that once bought a huge stock of stretchies. They paid literally cents per piece and they kept one box of it in their store just opened with a paper saying "sale" and procedures it at just a few dollars. They barely sold it. Ppl asked what's wrong with this and why is it so cheap. And they didn't believe it when they were told nothing is wrong their just passing on the sale.
Took it off the shelf and a week later brought it back out, wrote "sale" and oriced it jist under the going price for stretchies. In no time it was gone!
I was a kid then and I remember the lady saying how sad it is that ppl in this community are so dumb.

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 11:48 pm
These remind me of the story I heard about someone trying to give away 4 tires. He put them out with a sign "free tires good condition". No takers. After a while, he changed the sign to "tires-good condition. all 4 for $100". They were stolen in no time.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 12:06 am
Reminds me of my relative who owns a high end shoe store. Even when he gets an amazing deal on certain shoes he can’t sell below a certain price because people will say why are they so cheap, what’s wrong with it etc. I think it ispretty crazy!!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 12:07 am
I also wear almost exclusively Payless.I like the fit and great up on them. I always get compliments on my shoes. I am a hard worker and wear out my shoes. I don't expect them to last me many seasons although o still wear my Payless snow boots from when I was in 7th grade and I have many pairs for a bunch of years. Some ppl just so well there. My mother is a big size and fits well I to their shoes. Nobody ever believes her when he says she got her shoes in Payless.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:07 am
There's something wrong with my feet, I just can't wear payless. I've tried many times, and each time, they really, really hurt my feet. I wish I could - I hate spending premium prices.

My feet know quality Smile, even if my eyes can't tell the difference...

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:16 am
There was an study report in Consumer Reports a few yeas ago that compared construction and materials of designer vs cheap shoes.

https://www.consumerreports.or.....oney/
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics