Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How to make it special

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:03 pm
It’s just dh and I, no children yet. I bought him a gift. Now what? We have 2 parties the whole thing, one which is women only. How do I make it special for us? Any ideas?

pause

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:10 pm
I've always made a party just for my immediate family, even when it was just the two of us.

I buy Chanuka themed paper goods. Prepare a more elaborate supper. Add in latkes or donuts. We'd sing/dance/play a game.

My kids look forward to "our" party every year! And we BH have other, more well attended, noisier parties too.

ETA: I don't if this is your thing, but you can invite another couple to make it more party-like.

cm

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 9:13 pm
Light the menorah(s) together. Perhaps use one with special significance to the family. Make it a bit of a ceremony, not just a quick chore.

Sing lots of Chanukah songs together.

No housework while the candles are lit, so perhaps use the time to listen to a holiday album together, share a dvar Torah or play a game.

Plan special Chanukah meals - could be just one little thing at each dinner, not a huge amount of extra work.

Decorate the house, if that's something you enjoy.

Enjoy the week!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:39 am
Go somewhere, do something together, restaurant or Chanuka event

DVOM

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 3:53 am
Your present one night could be tickets to a show or a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Before my husband and I had kids, and when we only had one kid, we went to Manhattan to window shop and see the Macy's windows and the decorations at Rockefeller center one night of Chanukah. That was always one of my favorite nights; we would get really bundled up and splurge on fancy coffee and come home frozen and exhausted from walking for hours.

If the timing is right, you can plan for a special night in bed Wink

You can plan one really special candlelit dinner or an indoor picknick, to be eaten on the living room floor. My family still loves indoor picknicks.

We also often chose some insane and outlandishly complicated recipe to tackle as a family one night of Chanukah. Good memories of those...one year my husband and I poured over cookbooks and chose a roasted tomato and cheese soup that called for super expensive blue cheese. We went to a few grocery stores the night before, gathering rare ingrediants, and the next night began cooking after lighting the candles. The soup was a disaster (it smelled like unwashed feet) but the process was really fun.

A few of my friends did many-piece puzzles with their husbands before they had kids. This seemed too finicky and headache-inducing to me, but maybe you guys would like it. Same goes for board games. This was never our thing, but you might have fun with it. Someone was recently telling me about a gaming cafe: they have hundreds of board games that you play on the premises and you can also order drinks. I've been meaning to give this a try!

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 5:29 am
The first year of our marriage I bought different gifts (some small and some big) and gave DH one every night.

I took of from work a day and we slept in a hotel in Manhattan.

One night we had our own party. I made a special dinner with latkes.

Simple1

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 5:29 am
Is two parties considered very few? We don't have any this year.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 5:34 am
I made special supper each nice, used Chanukah napkins all week. We're lubavitch so we go give out menorahs and that's fun and meaningful. This year is our first year with a baby so I'm not sure how things will play out but definitely planning on yummy food Wink

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:09 pm
In the same boat here. Just me and dh. The past two years I was a nidda all chanuka so I couldn't even sing with him, but bh this year it worked out lol so we'll do lots of singing tonight.
We went out today and bought all kinds of chanuka decor, the gel decorations for the windows, and papergoods. We also bought each other a few small gifts which we wrapped and will surprise each other with each night.
Bought donuts and will make latkes. I'm keeping chanuka music playing all day.
I'm really starting to get in the chanuka mood!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:23 pm
I honestly can't remember my first Chanukas married but I do remember one thing. I remember visiting my inlaws just to say Happy Chanuka and my FIL asked us to join in a game of dreidel. I as the only woman amongst the guys and I won that dreidel game and left $20 richer. That's all I remember , but it was fun!😀

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 7:49 pm
Thanks for the ideas! I think we’ll do board games and I was thinking of doing a dreidel game. We are healthy eaters so no donuts or latkes for us. I would love ideas of some small gifts to give him one for each night. Right now I have one and I’m saving if for sometime in middle of the week

keym

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:23 am
DVOM wrote:
Your present one night could be tickets to a show or a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Before my husband and I had kids, and when we only had one kid, we went to Manhattan to window shop and see the Macy's windows and the decorations at Rockefeller center one night of Chanukah. That was always one of my favorite nights; we would get really bundled up and splurge on fancy coffee and come home frozen and exhausted from walking for hours.

If the timing is right, you can plan for a special night in bed Wink

You can plan one really special candlelit dinner or an indoor picknick, to be eaten on the living room floor. My family still loves indoor picknicks.

We also often chose some insane and outlandishly complicated recipe to tackle as a family one night of Chanukah. Good memories of those...one year my husband and I poured over cookbooks and chose a roasted tomato and cheese soup that called for super expensive blue cheese. We went to a few grocery stores the night before, gathering rare ingrediants, and the next night began cooking after lighting the candles. The soup was a disaster (it smelled like unwashed feet) but the process was really fun.

A few of my friends did many-piece puzzles with their husbands before they had kids. This seemed too finicky and headache-inducing to me, but maybe you guys would like it. Same goes for board games. This was never our thing, but you might have fun with it. Someone was recently telling me about a gaming cafe: they have hundreds of board games that you play on the premises and you can also order drinks. I've been meaning to give this a try!

I would love Info on this gaming cafe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics