Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Low carb, I don’t eat Latkas or sufganiot...what can I eat?
1  2  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:03 am
Planning on side of salmon with feta cheese and spices, thinking about chicken wings fried in olive oil, definitely fried eggplant, may do some fried but not coated boneless skinless thighs... found a heavy cream ice cream recipe without sweetener I think I can make work- any more ideas for olive oil or dairy?

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:08 am
Why not make latkes? Google keto latke recipes. I'm sure there are some low carb veggies that make good stand-ins for the potatoes. Cauliflower might be great.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:16 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Why not make latkes? Google keto latke recipes. I'm sure there are some low carb veggies that make good stand-ins for the potatoes. Cauliflower might be great.

Very difficult without grains. Tried last year. Not into it this year. Wasted a lot of ingredients.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:22 am
People make from zucchini.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:28 am
I once made broccoli cheese bites. Broccolli, farmer cheese, eggs, spices formed into balls , placed into muffin tins & baked. Yum. Havta find exact recipe.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:33 am
I also do veg quiche without a crust. Sautee onions, green beans, mushrooms & peppers. Add shredded mozzarela cheese to melt. Add in spices & stir in an egg. Let set & then bake in a pan. If you want exact recipe let me know.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:36 am
I do broccoli zucchini soup with melted cheese without flour

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:38 am
You can do any sauteed veg with melted cheese, stirfry. Spinach. Cauliflower. Mushrooms. Letcho.zucchini.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:45 am
French onion soup with cheese. Low carb cheesecakes without flour. Any type of fish not breaded. Tuna patties fried in oil without flour. Dairy cream of mushroom soup made with heavy cream. Any dairy pasta dish you can try making with zoodles or spaghetti squash. Eggplant parmesian without breading the eggplants. Ceasar salad with grated parmesan cheese. Greek salad with feta cheese. Lettuce salad with two toned shredded cheddar cheese. There are cheese croutons in diff flavors that you can use to top salads.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 4:27 am
Latkas and sufganiot are not halacha!

I suggest that among the foods that agree with you, pick your favorites. Enjoy eating a healthy, delicious meal that won't hurt your body, and be grateful that you have access to yummy fruits and vegetables.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 4:29 am
chicken or beef latkes. (add any grated low carb veggies and eggs)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 6:09 am
pumplin/zuccini -zoodles with egg.

spread latkes on baking sheet and bake (add onion/garlic/salt/pepper to taste.

if you spray with oil it is more delicious.
taste great and has few ww points, low in carb and calories.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 7:27 am
Do you eat butternut squash? I've made delicious latkes.

mamaG

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 7:30 am
I have made cauliflower latkes that are delicious

myself

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 7:49 am
What about rutabaga? I know it has carbs, but is it low enough that you'd eat it?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 8:04 am
What about yuca? I make it all the time. Just peel it and put in food processor and blens until mushy. Shape into patties and bake or fry. No spices or eggs needed. Once they get hot they get stick together.

May

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 8:10 am
There is a recipe on kosher.com right now for cauliflower rice latkes. Says you can use almond flour.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 8:11 am
I made chicken zucchini patties last week which were a huge hit with my kids. Definitely revisiting for Chanukah.

12 oz ground chicken
2 cups grated zucchini (leave peel on) [I used my food processor for this]
1 cup green onions, sliced
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
1 clove garlic, minced [I used frozen cube]
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix everything in a large bowl.
Heat frying pan with cooking spray over medium heat.
Form patties.
Fry on each side until golden brown.

The recipe says this makes 2 servings. I made it with 2 kilo of ground chicken and increased everything else accordingly.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 9:15 am
I made butternut squash latkes last year. Butternut squash, eggs, oil, salt. I baked them in oil bec they wouldn’t stick together well for frying, but they were delicious!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 9:32 am
You guys are awesome. I’m so lazy about food, I’ll probably just stick to my regular way of eating which is actually so low in carbs that most vegetable content is a few bites, but I loved the ideas. And hopefully there’s insoirationhere for this on various food plans ( thanks for piping in) and no one will have to eat off their plan.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics