Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is anyone here into the zero waste movement?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:55 pm
Read this : https://www.nytimes.com/1996/0......html

nyc123

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:56 pm
Geulanow wrote:
If you make most of your food and other items yourself, you are doing the opposite of zero waste. When you buy prepared food, you are helping the store that sells it, the middle business that sold it, the place that manufactured (and/or labeled it), etc. So you are stimulating the economy, maybe helping a fellow Jew in business, and contributing to food that is already manufactured not ending up in a dumpster.

This argument makes no sense. You could say the same exact thing for the raw chicken at the kosher grocery store or butcher. If it doesn’t sell it could also end up in the trash.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 10:34 pm
Yellow amother wrote:
we are in the End Of Days.
Moshiach/the apocalypse is coming very soon to a theater near you.
I have limited energy, I use it to try to be a good person. I can't worry about landfills.
Hashem has got it covered.

Were you given a maximum number of years until then? By whom?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
Read this : https://www.nytimes.com/1996/0......html

Yup, this is a classic. I don't think anyone actively wants to be wasteful, but it's hard to know whether the environmentally righteous cause of the day really makes sense for the planet. Those cloth diapers reduce plastic use, but require fuel consumption for delivery trucks and lots of energy to heat up the water to wash them. How to evaluate which is better in the long run?

So, I'm all in favor of reusing, and being aware of our responsibility for keeping the earth clean. We have a system that recycles shower water for the lawn sprinklers. But let's not be judgmental. Maybe my neighbor who uses thousands of plastic cups is doing more for the environment than I am by heating up water to wash the dishes.

Our current methods of cutting waste have not, as far as I know, passed any rigorous testing to demonstrate their value. That doesn't make them wrong, but let's not be too sure of our virtue.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 4:15 am
Baal taschis I hate, but there is avoda zara to prefering the planet to your children (to be). And bashing those who leave a big print of carbin with their horrible hellions, heh.
I donate, a lot - from clothes to books to what remains of my mikve kit.
I would get an animal to eat leftovers if it was realistic.
We're also those who waste water least in our building even though kah the largest family by far. And we heat much less than others (granted, we are only allowed to because people overheat so it's warm anyway). But nothing?? That's not possible. I'm not losing my sanity over this altar.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:03 am
newbie wrote:
I see what you mean. The problem is that today, as someone above already pointed out, the whole economy is build on the idea that we buy more things more often- and that products are created in such a way that they won’t last long and can’t be repaired. So even if everyone would use common sense it wouldn’t solve that problem- I see that in my daily life all the time: it’s harder to find recycled toilet paper than normal one, more expensive to buy reusable things that cheap tat etc etc. But you’re right, we need to change our way of thinking as well.

Rabbi Frand has a line about the disposable generation. Used to be you'd bring a clock radio, etc. to someone to repair. Now you'll hear the repairman say, "Don't pay to fix it."

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 3:40 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Rabbi Frand has a line about the disposable generation. Used to be you'd bring a clock radio, etc. to someone to repair. Now you'll hear the repairman say, "Don't pay to fix it."

It's not the generation, it's the way things are made. There are replacable parts in a mechanical clock. In a digital watch there's nothing anyone can replace aside from the batteries and the wristband. Once upon a time there used to be discrete components in a rado that could be fixed although even then it may have cost more in labor to fix an inexpensive electronic appliance than it did to buy a new one. A time before that, there were vacuum tubes (valves in British) that anyone could look at, see which one wasn't glowing red, take it down to the hardware store or drugstore, buy a replacement, and plug it in themselves. If all or none of the tubes were glowing they'd take them all to the store where there would be a machine that tested tubes.)

And things are still fixed today. I know several camera repair stores in Jerusalem, my current camera has only been in once, it wasn't a cheap repair but it's not a cheap camera, although the owner said that some problems involve so much of a camera that he sometimes recommends selling a customer a restored camera in better shape than the best they can do with the one that the customer has just brought in. I know technicians who will replace a single piece of a computer or cellphone that's gone bad although sometimes it doesn't pay, or the device hasn't been manufactured for a number of years and it's not possible to get spare parts anymore (that wasn't an issue in the days of tubes and transistors, replacement tubes and transistors and other discrete components were generally available)

The people could demand products that could be fixed, but the manufactures might say, sure, you want to pay $400 for a radio, no problem, we'll make them for you.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:52 am
Time is worth money too...
You must have so much time on your hands to believe living like this is possible...
Like with everything in life... moderation. Choose to be careful... but to make it take over your life is not healthy at all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics