Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
“U”

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:43 am
When posting, how hard is it to spell out the word “you” instead of “U”? I’m just curious because I see it a lot on the boards.... Cool

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:49 am
It’s netspeak, which is its own dialect, just like tia, lol, kwim? Typing on a tiny phone screen is stressful and any shortcut is appreciated. What’s not appreciated is ordinary misspelling that is not part of the dialect. Believe it or not, netspeak has its own rules.

cm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:58 am
It's annoying. I skip those posts.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:03 am
I assume the majority of "u"s come from phones. It used to be especially common when texting, before smart phones gave us easy to use keyboards.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:10 am
I always skip those comments. And it’s not just “u” as someone else said it’s a whole language. I find it super annoying. I usually assume it’s a post from someone in her early 20’s, writing here the way she would text.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:55 am
I hate it. Seems beyond lazy. But maybe it's age related. I'm in my 40's. Perhaps younger people are more used to it and not annoyed.

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:05 am
The person presents as a not intelligent person.

Notice the rest of the post when the person writes "u". It usually sounds like someone who has limited reasoning ability. The sentences are run on and immature. Sometimes there is no paragraphing.

They are also the most entitled posters.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:06 am
If you are used to typing like that in text, it becomes a habit where it already types on own. In order, to undo the habit, it would take a lot of concentration, not to fall into the trap of ever using U again. On a keyboard, I understand it would be easier to type full words as you are using both hands. On a touch phone, every letter gets pressed individually. By text some phones are limited with space to send out or receive. If text it's too long it gets broken up & then people get annoyed. If you got used to shorten your words it's hard to change.

I was on chat groups by text, people got annoyed from long texts. People don't have so much time for "lange drushos". Here people don't seem to mind.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:12 am
I am also in my 40s and I can't stand it. Especially when a post is so full of textspeak that it's literally unreadable. I skip over those.

How hard is it to type with instead of wit?
or what instead of wat?

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:56 am
Many times I typo u for I bc the letters are right next to each other. I get it can be annoying to read if the post of full of it.. otherwise, give ppl a break

esuss

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:05 pm
I type on my phone all the time. I try to avoid it at all times. With smart typing it is so easy to spell out words completely.
What really bugs me is when people fill out paper forms using "netspeak". That makes them really look uneducated and lazy.

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:07 pm
Also I noticed a 'u' I. A thread title... Thread titles have a character limit... So maybe they just have a longer title to insert

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:03 pm
I don’t mind “u” alone. I do mind an entire post in text speak. Hard to read and makes poster sound like a brainless teen.

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:52 pm
Kinda off topic, but people who type “come” instead of “come”... Banging head

ETA: lol the website filtered out the infuriating spelling. But you get the picture.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:15 am
If ur txting, k. If you're posting here, spell out the words unless what you're tryng to post is "my fingers are all bandaged together, how do I get speech recognitioned to work on this device?"

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:57 am
Netspeak is the Ebonics of entitled millennials.

I literally hurts my brain to read, and I skip those posts. I try very hard not to judge the poster too harshly, but it's not easy.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:28 am
Worse than “u” is “wen”. Its too much trouble to type an h?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics