Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chanukah vacation vent
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:12 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I love it when my kids are off for Chanuka.

In France schools close for chanukah? This would only be when it coincides with x-mas right?

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
Only anon because I talk about this in real life....

Its all to make the teachers happy. Seriously. I keep hearing how the teachers work so hard so... They need tips/ gifts (unethical in most helping professions), they need the Rosh Chodesh treats/catered lunches/donuts/muffins etc, they need those random days off, they need several days before chag and Issru chag....

My job is just as hard or even harder. No benefits like Chagim off, never Issru chag or erev chag, no special breakfast/lunches. Never any gifts or tips. But I am constantly asked to sponsor this or that for the teachers. Sorry but no. Tuition is high enough plus I have to pay for babysitters for those "mandatory days off".
My husband also has to work crazy hours. All to pay basic bills and no extras like pizza Thursdays, vacations, or coordinating clothes for my kids. Just to pay rent, tuition, food, utilities and other real needs. Somehow the teachers can do all that and they still *need* so much. Banging head

We obviously live in very different communities. Our teachers work hard, get paid little, have professional development on many days that there is no school (isru chag specifically) and the only treats they get are when PTA arranges something.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
We obviously live in very different communities. Our teachers work hard, get paid little, have professional development on many days that there is no school (isru chag specifically) and the only treats they get are when PTA arranges something.

PTA does it out of your tuition dollars or they ask for sponsorships. So to pay for these treats they end up raising your tuition...
I was asked for gifts for the teachers for Chanukah, at the end of the year etc. Isru chag they are off too... They often do teacher development days on random Mondays throughout the year. Once they did it on a legal holiday which was nice as my husband was off then. But often it is a random day.
They work hard, I work hard... Its called WORK for a reason! Who has an "easy" job that isnt physically or mentally tough? That pays well??

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:46 pm
I am a teacher and I believe that things need to change. More mothers are working today and at jobs that do not align with school vacations.
However you should know that it is very hard to teach on these days. The kids attitude is “why do we have to learn it’s chanuka?” And many are tired beyond exhaustion due staying up late. Perhaps just Friday should be a day off simply because shabbos is very early and chanuka lecht even earlier. And sunday for the boys.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
PTA does it out of your tuition dollars or they ask for sponsorships. So to pay for these treats they end up raising your tuition...
I was asked for gifts for the teachers for Chanukah, at the end of the year etc. Isru chag they are off too... They often do teacher development days on random Mondays throughout the year. Once they did it on a legal holiday which was nice as my husband was off then. But often it is a random day.
They work hard, I work hard... Its called WORK for a reason! Who has an "easy" job that isnt physically or mentally tough? That pays well??

PTA asks for sponsorships. Just like I'd give my babysitter or kid's therapist a small gift, I can contribute a little to saying thank you to their teachers.
I'm not saying your experience isn't legitimate, just remember that it's YOUR experience and not everyone else is experiencing that. My kids have a very reasonable amount of vacation as do the teachers and it's not always convenient for my work schedule but I understand why they have off when they do

groisamomma

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:03 pm
I don’t care when they have Chanukah vacation because they’re old enough to wake up late and take care of themselves. Chanukah is one long party here so I think they enjoy sleeping late while I’m working. Either way, they are treated when I’m off for Xmas vacation so they know Chanukah and mid-winter vacations are for relaxing not running around. If I had little kids that would be a whole ‘nother story...

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:08 pm
Secular schools also have inconvenient holidays. They give random staff development days off and lots of holidays. Schools are in session 180 days a year, and work is 249 days a year more or less. I included 11 days off.

What do secular parents do with their kids on black friday or Eid Al-Fitr or Martin Luther Luther Day? This isn't just a Jewish problem.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
I am a teacher and I believe that things need to change. More mothers are working today and at jobs that do not align with school vacations.
However you should know that it is very hard to teach on these days. The kids attitude is “why do we have to learn it’s chanuka?” And many are tired beyond exhaustion due staying up late. Perhaps just Friday should be a day off simply because shabbos is very early and chanuka lecht even earlier. And sunday for the boys.

Not enough to just like this!
In general I think its a chutzpah that there is so much vacation. And stopping to learn torah davka on chanuka is kind of ironic.

But...
The kids are simply impossible to teach. They go to parties until late at night amd come to school tired, irritable or hyper. They also have expectations of "fun" classes and camp style school.
So it does seem quite pointless.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
In general I think its a chutzpah that there is so much vacation. And stopping to learn torah davka on chanuka is kind of ironic.

But...
The kids are simply impossible to teach. They go to parties until late at night amd come to school tired, irritable or hyper. They also have expectations of "fun" classes and camp style school.

Oh, please. Any teacher worth her salt can use resources that are engaging and fun but the kids still learn. I feel like some of my kids’ English teachers think Chanukah is an 8-days long pause in learning.

teachkids

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:12 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Oh, please. Any teacher worth her salt can use resources that are engaging and fun but the kids still learn. I feel like some of my kids’ English teachers think Chanukah is an 8-days long pause in learning.

Yes, we can do it for an hour, maybe an hour and a half if we're really good, but keeping overtired, over sugared, kids entertained for 4-5 hours per teacher for 6 school days straight without it being our normal routine is really hard. I'll happily trade places with you if you think it's so easy.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:45 pm
Not sure about the others, but my kids aren't coming in so overtired and over-sugared. Maybe once per Chanukah, but we've scheduled that for the weekend this year. But now that you mention it maybe that's why they don't have school on shushan purim! Always wondered about that Wink

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:52 pm
Squishy wrote:
Secular schools also have inconvenient holidays. They give random staff development days off and lots of holidays. Schools are in session 180 days a year, and work is 249 days a year more or less. I included 11 days off.

What do secular parents do with their kids on black friday or Eid Al-Fitr or Martin Luther Luther Day? This isn't just a Jewish problem.

Or Presidents Week.

All. Week. Long.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:53 pm
I agree though, it's a problem.

Private school tuitions are expensive and parents need to work and it's really hard for working parents to find backup for all the days off from school.

It's not just a Jewish problem though.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:03 pm
...and to the public school parents (at least in NY) Pesach Spring break is quite a hassle.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:

But...

So honor those expectations and make those days to be fun classes. The kids get their fun time, their hyperactivity won't be much of an issue, and the parents can work and earn their weekly wage.

It's a win-win for two out of the three groups involved (the kids and parents). I fully admire the teachers for what they do, but a job is a job. They shouldn't be abandoning the job just because these days are tougher than others.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:21 pm
groisamomma wrote:

Spoken like someone who does not stand in front of a class of over 30 pre- teens day in and day out. Come let me see you try.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:26 pm
Would you like to see how many notes and phone calls we get asking for early dismissal because of Chanuka lecht bentching. Or the late notes? Or the absences for the long weekend?
So how about this? No vacation but rather later start and earlier finish. And Friday no school.
What do you think?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Spoken like someone who does not stand in front of a class of over 30 pre- teens day in and day out. Come let me see you try.

Groisamomma is a very seasoned teacher. Maybe she does have ideas for you.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Would you like to see how many notes and phone calls we get asking for early dismissal because of Chanuka lecht bentching. Or the late notes? Or the absences for the long weekend?
So how about this? No vacation but rather later start and earlier finish. And Friday no school.
What do you think?

Give Friday off for everyone. It's the earliest Shabbos of the year, plus menorah, plus why not give the teachers a "long holiday weekend." Friday and Sunday are a lot easier to fargin than Thursday+Friday+Monday.
No need to dismiss early, halacha says lighting can wait until you get home, assuming it is still within normal waking hours. High schools that usually have later ending times can dismiss early, the kids are old enough to find their way home anyway. Anyone who is young enough that they would need to be transferred from school to another form of childcare should have a full day.
The late notes can be dealt with the same as any other day of the year.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:40 pm
amother wrote:
Groisamomma is a very seasoned teacher. Maybe she does have ideas for you.

I stand corrected. Is she still teaching today?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics