Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bar mitzvah self catering suggestions

aimhabanim

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:14 am
I am beH catering our upcoming bar mitzvah. I'm looking for suggestions for something nice and easy to do with chicken cutlets. Schnitzel for 75 people is too much of a pain from me. I would also love suggestions for side dishes other than potatoes and vegetables. Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:15 am
Grilled chicken.
I've made schnitzel - I prep it fully, then bake it. But for our last simcha I realized I didn't have the time to do it Thursday (because I wouldn't want to do it all day erev Shabbos) so I made roasts, and some chicken for people who avoid red meat.

Mazel tov!!!

myself

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:45 am
Vegetable rice and cabbage with bow tie pasta are both tasty and presentable.

mom!

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:58 am
How about a bake breaded cutlet with a sauce?

happy12

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:04 pm
stuffed capons with kishka- freeze raw and stick into oven the day of the simcha.

Nechami

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:05 pm
How about a corn flake schnitzel in the oven - I find its so much less time consuming because you don't need to stand over a frying pan, prep in advance and bake on the day.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:12 pm
If you do a buffet you can make a few types of roasts, some chicken ect.

Also make sure to hire waiters so you can and enjoy your own simcha!

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:20 pm
A nice fresh green salad is always nice.
Or a broccoli salad, Asian slaw, etc.

aimhabanim

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:39 pm
Wow! Thanks everyone! Keep them coming!! May we only share simchos!

DrMom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:44 pm
Mixed roasted root vegetables are easy.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:56 pm
orzo either with vegetables or made with pastrami. waiters can be very helpful-set up, serve, clean up. pickles and coleslaw in "boats" on the tables. some people will self cater but order the chicken because it's the hardest thing to do yourself.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:49 am
Marinated salads.
Or fresh that you assemble at the meal (there are very cool ways to do it) but that you can prep Thursday night, with dressing even earlier in the week.

imasinger

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:59 am
See if you can buy or borrow a good sous vide setup. That magic little machine that looks like a stick blender can cook all those chicken cutlets at once, set it and forget it, and have it come out delicious.

We have this
Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker | Bluetooth | 800W | Anova App Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U.....BY0W6

And this:
EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid Compatible with Anova Culinary Precision Cooker and 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071.....DCG7A

Put this inside to cook a lot at once and keep it organized:
EVERIE Weight-Added Sous Vide Rack Divider for Sous Vide Even Heating, 5 Count Plastic Dividers and 2 Stainless Steel Sous Vide Weights, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D.....K221R

And, since it's slightly better than ziplocks, this:

Vacuum Sealer/Food Sealer Machine,Automatic Vacuum Air Sealing System for Food Preservation, Sous Vide,Clothes and Mason Jar | 3 sealing options | 4 Food Modes | Led Indicator Lights | 10 Sealer Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F.....3N219

The whole shebang is under $200, and well worth the investment.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:03 am
I would recommend meat roast which can be made a day or even two before, chilled, sliced, up and reheated very easily. Depending on the cut it may not be more expensive then chicken. Chicken is really only good freshly cooked, imho. If you really want chicken maybe a breaded stuffed chicken breast that can be assembled ahead of time and popped in the oven shortly before. If doing roast, make a turkey roast for those who don't eat red meat.

Sides - Rice, orzo (jewel toned orzo from one of suzie fishbeins books is nice)

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:16 am
for a starter, make a pareve quiche or salmon. Both can be served cold with a salad or 2. Serve with rolls (maybe do fun rolls like garlic knots or foccacia in addition to regular challah) and one or two dips. You don't need soup.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:35 am
Cut all the chicken in one inch cubes (more or less). Cook in a sweet and sour sauce, or a mild curry sauce. Serve with white rice. IMHO, it tastes even better the next day, because the flavors get to mingle and develop.

You can find many sweet and sour recipes online. It's not hard to make. Add mixed colors of bell pepper chunks, and chunks of canned pineapple.

For the curry, you can use canned tomatoes, coconut cream (not milk), and veggies like peas, baby corn, cauliflower, green beans, in any combination. Add mild curry powder to the sauce, and heat with the chicken pieces. If you want to get fancy, you can put a bottle of Sriracha sauce and a bowl of cilantro next to the curry. (I happen to love both, but some people hate it.)

If you want to thicken the curry, use corn starch. Traditionally it's done with finely ground cashews, but you want to avoid the possibility of a nut allergy.

Another option is to do marinated skewers. Do them a day or two in advance, and just pop them in the oven. Search the internet for marinade and dipping sauce recipes. Serve with wedges of lime.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:38 pm
We just made shabbos Sheva brochos for my sister. Bh we have self catered many many events.

We did shnitzel. Grilled chicken cutlets. Grilled dark chicken. Roasted lamb. Hot pastrami. Cholent. kugel. String beans. Roasted veggies during the day for the main.
Turkey. Brisket. Chicken on the bone. Grilled chickwn cutlets. Roasted potatoes. Rice. Roasted sweet potatoes. Asparagus. Roasted Mini zucchini. For Friday night main.
We served buffet.
We had about 100 ppl.

Shuly

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:02 pm
A soup bar is a really fun thing to do for a winter bar mitzvah.
Make a few types of soup (butternut squash, mushroom barley, zucchini, onion) and set it up with bowls of croutons (yellow and bread croutons), shelled sunflower seeds and anything else that goes in soup. Set it up on a table with stacks of bowls and spoons.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics