Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Crockpot always burning the cholent!!
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 4:58 pm
has this ever happened to u? Its not an issue of lacking water. It becomes crusty at the bottom regardless.

Do you know what causes it? Spices? Barley? Soaking the pot a week before until someone washes it? Or maybe the metal warming thing fell on the floor and got haywired? Crying Crying

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:12 pm
Following. Have the same issue and I’ve tried a few different crock pots!!

simcha2

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:13 pm
Put balls of foil between the crock and the heating element to lift the insert up.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:16 pm
thegiver wrote:
has this ever happened to u? Its not an issue of lacking water. It becomes crusty at the bottom regardless.

Do you know what causes it? Spices? Barley? Soaking the pot a week before until someone washes it? Or maybe the metal warming thing fell on the floor and got haywired? Crying Crying

How long do you have the crockpot going for? On what setting? Do you put the cholent in raw or cooked?

I layer the raw ingredients, set to low, plug in and let it go for 20 hours (not more that 24).

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:19 pm
This is normal and happens in all cholent pots, stovetop or crock. You have a lot of starchy items sinking to the bottom and cooking for a very long time. The only way to keep a starchy suspension, from sticking is to stir constantly, which you can't do.

Do you mean burnt-burnt, or do you mean you have a layer of hardened sludge stuck to the bottom. If mamash burnt, as in charcoalized, your setting is too high. Put it on "low".

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:28 pm
Happens every week and I tried afew crock pots.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I layer the raw ingredients, set to low, plug in and let it go for 20 hours (not more that 24).

I do the same, and I always get little crusts around the edges. Mine is still soaking TMI

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:40 pm
I cook my Cholent Friday morning for about four to five hours on high. Then I switch it to LOW and add some more water and keep it on low until Shabbos morning.
I have also left it on keep warm and that worked too , without adding any water. Each crockpot's settings are different. I use Crockpot brand and my Cholent doesn't burn.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:42 pm
OP, you could try using crock pot liners!

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 5:46 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I have also left it on keep warm and that worked too , without adding any water. Each crockpot's settings are different. I use Crockpot brand and my Cholent doesn't burn.

It depends on the brand! I tried that with a chili once, and by the next morning it had completely spoiled Sad

simcha2

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:23 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:
It depends on the brand! I tried that with a chili once, and by the next morning it had completely spoiled Sad

OT, but cool user name.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:32 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:
I do the same, and I always get little crusts around the edges. Mine is still soaking TMI

Wow. Is it an insert crock or a metal rectangular pot on a heating base?
And do you line the bottom of your crock with parchment paper to help with cleanup?

I use 5.5 cups water with 1 cup beans and 1/2 cup barley.

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:36 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Put balls of foil between the crock and the heating element to lift the insert up.

We do something similar. We put two knives (from our tableware set) between the pot and the heat. Works perfect for us.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:56 pm
Surprised so many people have this problem. I've only had it when I put way too little water in. But I put mine up raw right before candle lighting so maybe that helps. It's not cooking nearly as long as other people's.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:59 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:

I second this! I put up my cholent on Thursday night. It used to consistently burn, but once I started using these liners, it almost never happens. Plus they make for such an easy cleanup.

csfm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:38 pm
I had this problem big-time before I tried liners atop 1 cup of water in the crock. Then I found less (but still some) burning and the burnt parts left melted plastic, which caused holes. So I tried using two liners above 1 cup of water. That helped a lot but after months of trying to get everything just right, I was sick of the patchke. Finally, I gave up and started trying to make chulent in the oven, like my mamele always did. Now I'm happier with the taste but I'm back to soaking pots! Arrgghh! I am reading everyone's advice carefully because it would be nice to try a crock pot, again. I have learned through experience that (my) smaller crock pots don't get nearly as hot as my large ones, and that my large Hamilton Beach crock pot gets much hotter than my Crockpot brand pot. Hope that helps.

nicole81

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:51 pm
I switched to making cholent in the oven and it's perfect.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:07 pm
I love my instant pot slow cooking mode. its perfect not to kill stuff thats on for 20 hours. full disclosure, I don't make cholent in it and never have because I got it after I went low carb but it doesn't ruin chicken soup or lamb soup either.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:56 pm
Due to food safety issues, manufacturers now make their slow cookers run at higher temperatures than the older models. Of course there is still variance between models and brands but this is the case in general.
I have a stainless steel wire roasting insert that fit into an old oval Corningware 9x13 roaster. It fits perfectly into our crockpot and that is what I use to elevate the pot off the element. It makes a huge difference when the pot is a tiny bit elevated. Just be sure though that it's not too elevated as to prevent a safe temperature from being maintained. You should still be able to see bubbles now and then on the surface.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:28 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:

Something about plastic heated together with food for many long hours makes me feel a bit queasy, wondering how many plastic particles will be consumed together with your beans and barley.

Don't get me wrong: I do use plastic way too often, but this just sounds.... questionable.

I make my cholent in a stainless steel pot, and though there is usually a bit of layer of gunk, I have found that putting a layer of oil on the bottom helps it slip out a bit better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics