Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Suitable book series
1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:01 am
Hi!
My 6th grade son devours books. I am looking for recommendations of a suitable book series for him.
He has read all the a-z mysteries, Charlie and the choc factory series and all the Ramona series and all the roald Dahl series .
I m having a head time finding something appropriate.
I’m looking for a clean series. For a Yeshiva boy. Even better if it’s a historical series- he lives history!!!
All recommendations greatly appreciated!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:08 am
James Patterson has written a few series' for that age. I'm not super familiar with them, because he's also written for elementary age and that's what I'm familiar with, so you should skim them yourself just to be sure, but I've heard good things about his middle school books.

jewishmommy1

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:10 am
There's a fantastic series called "I Survived" about kids who survive historical events (San Francisco earthquake, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, shark attacks, etc). Occasional references to smiling at girls in some (not all) of the books, but almost perfectly clean. Really well written and historically accurate.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:15 am
jewishmommy1 wrote:
There's a fantastic series called "I Survived" about kids who survive historical events (San Francisco earthquake, Pearl Harbor, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, shark attacks, etc). Occasional references to smiling at girls in some (not all) of the books, but almost perfectly clean. Really well written and historically accurate.

My kids love those books!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:18 am
Harry Potter is good
39 clues, although I think he may be aging out of that if he’s reading on grade level (not sure exactly the reading level)
Keeper of the lost city (I think that’s what it’s called)

Have you asked the teacher to provide you with reading-level-appropriate suggestions? I find teachers are really great at this.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:00 pm
jewishmommy1 wrote:

Thank you- forgot to mention, we have those too!
Any others?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:02 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Harry Potter is good
39 clues, although I think he may be aging out of that if he’s reading on grade level (not sure exactly the reading level)
Keeper of the lost city (I think that’s what it’s called)

Have you asked the teacher to provide you with reading-level-appropriate suggestions? I find teachers are really great at this.

I’d like to keep away from Harry Potter for various reasons for the time being.
His English teachers are rebbeim and not the type. The funny thing is that I myself am a language arts teacher (hs)so I am super selective with what my kids read, and I want them reading quality material.
He’s reading on an eighth grade level. I heard about the 39 clues, and I was just wondering if they were really appropriate? Are they violent? Thanks

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
His English teachers are rebbeim and not the type. The funny thing is that I myself am a language arts teacher (hs)so I am super selective with what my kids read, and I want them reading quality material.
He’s reading on an eighth grade level. I heard about the 39 clues, and I was just wondering if they were really appropriate? Are they violent? Thanks

I guess I am less discerning than you, I have no issue with Harry Potter.
I’m a little sad that his English teacher can not provide you with a list of appropriate books :-(
I don’t remember having an issue with 39 clues, but that doesn’t mean you won’t.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:24 pm
Chinuch.org has a list of screened books and series that are appropriate for kids at each reading level. Also there is an ad just on this page for Menucha Classroom Solutions that offers appropriate books for classroom reading. Maybe you can get some ideas from their selection.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:32 pm
Redwall series?

Moonlight

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:32 pm
Series of unfortunate events?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:46 pm
I’m going to guess if you don’t want Harry Potter, you don’t want The Chronicles of Narnia either?

perquacky

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:48 pm
amother wrote:
John Patterson has written a few series' for that age. I'm not super familiar with them, because he's also written for elementary age and that's what I'm familiar with, so you should skim them yourself just to be sure, but I've heard good things about his middle school books.
\

Do you mean James Patterson?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:11 pm
perquacky wrote:
\

Do you mean James Patterson?

Yeah, James Patterson. Edited.

Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:

I read most of 39 clues. There is definitely violence as well as a romance sub-plot. Main teenage character vacillates between 2 guys she loves and doesn't know what to do until one of them is killed, solving that problem.

I like some historical fiction books by Avi (not Jewish). Some have a little boy/girl flirting but I liked these and don't recall any such problem: City of Orphans, Murder at Midnight - 2 books in series with one having slightly different name - don't remember offhand, True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. There is a great trilogy called Crispin, but the entire premise of the book is that a young boy born into poverty and serfdom in medieval times is actually the child of the Prince, and is referred to as his bastard child. Otherwise they are wonderful.

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:43 pm
Guardians of gahoole
Secrets of droon
Both slightly magical, I can't remember

Encyclopedia brown mysteries
Hardy boys - the old ones

rgr

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:59 pm
Orphan train by Joan Lowery Nixon
They are historical fiction and incredibly moving books.
There's a series for younger readers and also young adults. Both iirc are clean, ther one for younger readers for sure is.

Younger readers:
Lucy's Wish (Orphan Train Children Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G.....KFYHY

Older:
A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures Book 1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G.....QBGN8

chestnut

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:49 pm
Series of unfortunate events

chestnut

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:53 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Chinuch.org has a list of screened books and series that are appropriate for kids at each reading level.

Such a cool site, thanks!

esuss

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:54 pm
Avner gold books would be perfect for him. Jewish Historical fiction.

My boys loved reading all the little Medrash says at this age.

(BTW I do let them read secular books also but they preferred these)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children