Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Suitable book series
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:13 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
Harry Potter is good
39 clues, although I think he may be aging out of that if he’s reading on grade level (not sure exactly the reading level)
Keeper of the lost city (I think that’s what it’s called)

Have you asked the teacher to provide you with reading-level-appropriate suggestions? I find teachers are really great at this.

YMMV with The 39 Clues. One has religious overtones, some others have boy-girl tension.

ETA: I see Orchid got there before me.
You really have to be careful. There might be authors you think are great. Don't think that anything by said author is ok. I'm thinking of Andrew Clements, among others.

srbmom

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:18 pm
I just learned about this website- an amazing resource!
https://menuchaclassrooms.com

mommy9

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:53 pm
My sixth grade son is reading the Gordon Korman books. My husband reads them first to make sure they're appropriate, and so far they all are.
There's an amazing historical novel called Across five April's that's very clean. The author wrote other historical books but I'm not familiar with them.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:55 pm
If he loves history, then Steven Sheinkin's books can't be beat. These are not novels, but history books written so well that the historical characters are the protagonists (and antagonists). King George: What was his Problem and Two Miserable Presidents deal with the Revolutionary War and the Civil War respectively. I love Which Way to the Wild West about the settling of the frontier. The Bomb is amazing, but due to its scientific content, is at a higher reading comprehension level I think.

librarygirl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 7:14 pm
Escape from mr. Lemoncello's library series by grabenstein,
Septimus heap by angie sage
City of ember minus book 3
Not series but good:
One handed catch by auch
Breaking stalin's nose by yelchin
Mostly true adventures of homer p. Figg by philbrick
Hortens miraculous mechanism by lissa evans
Refugee by graff
Nowhere boy by katherine marsh
Any book by Michael morpurgo

bling3

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 7:32 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you- forgot to mention, we have those too!
Any others?

Interactive History Adventure Books - Historical books that are interactive where reader decides on how the story should go. Titles include, Civil War, WWI, WWII, colonial American.

Time travel adventure series - George Washington socks, George Washington's spy

Other good books: frindle, snow treasure, Jacob's rescue, chocolate fever, Shiloh.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 7:54 pm
I'm a 6th grade reading teacher. Very Happy

I teach in a more modern school, although, I'm a big believer in censorship.
I'll post some books that are on my book recommendation list. There were some good recommendations so far though like all of the Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library books, any Gordon Korman books, The Hardy Boys, etc.

Some of the books listed are not part of a series.

We're currently reading Restart by Gordon Korman and my students absolutely love it. I read it, it's about a boy that used to be a bully and he falls off a roof and gets amnesia. He didn't know he's a bully since he lost his memory and he has to 'rediscover' himself. It won't take your son long to read if he's on a higher reading level.

Counting by 7's is fantastic. Very heartwarming story about an adopted girl, who's a genius, that loses her adoptive parents in a car accident. Her journey is a great read.

The Great Fall of Gianna Z is another book my student loves. It's about a girl that has trouble with deadlines in school and she's on her track team. She is supposed to go to sectionals for her track team since she's the best on the team but she has to pass science class in order to go. She especially has to do well on a science project..... Her family also goes through a learning curve with their old, funny Italian grandmother is having the onset of alzhimers. It's very relateable to students in middle school. Also a clean book.

The One and Only Ivan Such a good book about a gorilla that's kept in a shopping mall to be on display.

The Westing Game

Tangerine - pretty quirky books, some students really love it, some don't like it - hit or miss

Three Times Lucky - series

The [I]Stranded
series -the boys in my class love this series

The Hatchet series - another series the boys love

Book Scavenger - this is one of my favorite middle school books - 2 middle school students are into solving a book clue game online made by an author, they stumble upon a new game that isn't out for the public yet, bad guys want the new game....it's a mystery and adventure

If he's in to dystopian books - The Giver or Wringer

The Flashback Four series is also popular among the boys

If your son is into sports, Mike Lupica wrote a ton of sports books. I haven't read them so I can't speak to if they're clean or not.

Wonder is a really excellent book. Below a 6th grade level but I haven't met a student that didn't like that book.

The Inkheart series, the Pendragon series or the Artemis Fowl series - I read these many years ago so I can't remember if there were any specific non-clean parts.

I'll keep thinking if there's anything my students like that's appropriate for a yeshiva boy.

teachkids

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:17 pm
Check out The Mysterious Benedict Society. Another vote for Gordon Korman.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:

I'll post some books that are on my book recommendation list. There were some good recommendations so far though like all of the Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library books, any Gordon Korman books, The Hardy Boys, etc.

We're currently reading Restart by Gordon Korman and my students absolutely love it. I read it, it's about a boy that used to be a bully and he falls off a roof and gets amnesia. He didn't know he's a bully since he lost his memory and he has to 'rediscover' himself. It won't take your son long to read if he's on a higher reading level.

Counting by 7's is fantastic. Very heartwarming story about an adopted girl, who's a genius, that loses her adoptive parents in a car accident. Her journey is a great read.

The Great Fall of Gianna Z is another book my student loves. It's about a girl that has trouble with deadlines in school and she's on her track team. She is supposed to go to sectionals for her track team since she's the best on the team but she has to pass science class in order to go. She especially has to do well on a science project..... Her family also goes through a learning curve with their old, funny Italian grandmother is having the onset of alzhimers. It's very relateable to students in middle school. Also a clean book.

The One and Only Ivan Such a good book about a gorilla that's kept in a shopping mall to be on display.

The Westing Game

Tangerine - pretty quirky books, some students really love it, some don't like it - hit or miss

Three Times Lucky - series

The [I]Stranded
series -the boys in my class love this series

The Hatchet series - another series the boys love

Book Scavenger - this is one of my favorite middle school books - 2 middle school students are into solving a book clue game online made by an author, they stumble upon a new game that isn't out for the public yet, bad guys want the new game....it's a mystery and adventure

If he's in to dystopian books - The Giver or Wringer

The Flashback Four series is also popular among the boys

If your son is into sports, Mike Lupica wrote a ton of sports books. I haven't read them so I can't speak to if they're clean or not.

Wonder is a really excellent book. Below a 6th grade level but I haven't met a student that didn't like that book.

The Inkheart series, the Pendragon series or the Artemis Fowl series - I read these many years ago so I can't remember if there were any specific non-clean parts.

I'll keep thinking if there's anything my students like that's appropriate for a yeshiva boy.

Not op, but thank you for these suggestions. I'm always on the lookout for quality reading material for my precocious 10 year old. I just added most of these to my amazon cart. I couldn't find the Stranded series? Do you perhaps have a link? Also, are these generally clean or do I need to pre-read them in order to censor them?
Thanks!

Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 9:00 pm
esuss wrote:
Avner gold books would be perfect for him. Jewish Historical fiction.

My boys loved reading all the little Medrash says at this age.

(BTW I do let them read secular books also but they preferred these)

YES. Avner Gold's original series is fantastic. I understand they reprinted them with a totally revised plot. Can't understand how they can do that to my favorite books!

librarygirl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:05 pm
teachkids wrote:
Check out The Mysterious Benedict Society. Another vote for Gordon Korman.

Yes, came back to recommend mysterious Benedict society. 4 book series by stewart, also he has another good book, the timekeeper.

And yes. Book scavenger is another good one and has 2 sequels.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:13 pm
Op here,
Wow!! Thank you everyone- so many good suggestions to look into ! Awesome!
Special thanks to the 6th grade teacher!!

I’ve heard of the Gordon Korman books but I understand that some are good and some not as much- any way to know which are and which aren’t? Thx!

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:04 am
Dear America/My Name is America.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:57 am
How about Mark Twain books and other classics?
Enid Blyton books

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:04 am
mommy9 wrote:
My sixth grade son is reading the Gordon Korman books. My husband reads them first to make sure they're appropriate, and so far they all are.
There's an amazing historical novel called Across five April's that's very clean. The author wrote other historical books but I'm not familiar with them.

I love Gordon Korman.
But he is exactly the type of author you have to be careful about.
I read Radio Fifth Grade the same time as I reread The 18th Emergency by Betsy Byars. (I don't know how I didn't discover GK in real time, we're about the same age.) Both are about bullies. GK is much better.
But as time went on, he moved with the times. Case in point: A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag is not for a young boy but I was ok with it for a h.s. girl, even at the younger end. It's about h.s. girls with mild boy girl tension.
Fast forward to No More Dead Dogs about middle school kids, who are now behaving like high schoolers.
And forget about his books in the YA section. (Son of the Mob.)

The adventure trilogies are fine.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:11 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I love Gordon Korman.
But he is exactly the type of author you have to be careful about.
I read Radio Fifth Grade the same time as I reread The 18th Emergency by Betsy Byars. (I don't know how I didn't discover GK in real time, we're about the same age.) Both are about bullies. GK is much better.
But as time went on, he moved with the times. Case in point: A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag is not for a young boy but I was ok with it for a h.s. girl, even at the younger end. It's about h.s. girls with mild boy girl tension.
Fast forward to No More Dead Dogs about middle school kids, who are now behaving like high schoolers.
And forget about his books in the YA section. (Son of the Mob.)

The adventure trilogies are fine.

I LOVE the Gordon Korman books I grew up with! Radio Fifth Grade, A Semester in the Life of A Garbage Bag... And how about "I Want To Go Home" featuring the hilarious Rudy Miller and his bow legged camp director? That one is probably my favorite. And "No Coins Please" is so hilarious! Some of the MacDonald Hall books featuring Bruno and Boots are great also (some books in that series are more kosher than others though overall its a clean series). Who can forget Elmer Drimsdale and his ant farm?

I don't like Korman's newer stuff so much though. Disappointing. Not that funny. Not that clean. Oh well. Dunno what happened to him because his older stuff is awesome.

I would stick to what he published in the 80s and 90s. Good stuff.

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:13 am
amother wrote:

We're currently reading Restart by Gordon Korman and my students absolutely love it. I read it, it's about a boy that used to be a bully and he falls off a roof and gets amnesia. He didn't know he's a bully since he lost his memory and he has to 'rediscover' himself. It won't take your son long to read if he's on a higher reading level. .

Restart was pretty good. But would you recommend Son of the Mob etc. to 6th graders?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:18 am
gold21 wrote:
I LOVE the Gordon Korman books I grew up with! Radio Fifth Grade, A Semester in the Life of A Garbage Bag... And how about I Want To Go Home featuring the hilarious Rudy Miller and his bow legged camp director? That one is probably my favorite. Some of the Bruno and Boots stuff is good also (some books in that series are more kosher than others). Who can forget Elmer Drimsdale and his ant farm?

I don't like Korman's newer stuff so much though. Disappointing. Not that funny. Not that clean. Oh well. Dunno what happened to him because his older stuff is awesome.

I am not familiar with his books. Can anyone give me a list of the older titles, series that were good? I heard those are funny and kosher: the new ones not so much...

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I am not familiar with his books. Can anyone give me a list of the older titles, series that were good? I heard those are funny and kosher: the new ones not so much...

I Want To Go Home
Radio Fifth Grade
No Coins Please

These are certified kosher (by me, lol Smile )
And they're hilarious.

You may need to get them on eBay though.
Why would such great timeless books go out or circulation, though? So weird. They're classics. My kids love them. I got them on eBay.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:24 am
Oh actually, in I Want To Go Home there's an inter-camp Dance offsite and girls dance with boys (allowing Rudy Miller to escape the camp premises....)

So depends if you're comfortable with that
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children