Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pads / periods in school
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:49 pm
Groisamamma you should not be dropping tampons into toilets. she should take along small ziplock plastic bags and place the pad/tampon in the bag after wrapping it in paper, bag into her tights, and then throw it into the garbage can discreetly. She is presumably bringing a new one into the toilet with her.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:04 pm
I only ever dealt with periods in high school, and I definitely remember garbage cans in each stall. I think for me the challenge was more getting my pad with me to the bathroom without anyone noticing. I used to tuck an extra pad or two into my tights, and go to school that way.

I think if there are no garbage cans in the stalls, you should speak to the school administration. Not fair to the girls!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:54 pm
Tampons don't go in the toilet. There should be trashcan somewhere in the bathroom, or at least accessible - not going around with old pads. That said, as a student and teacher, I don't relate to a trashcan in each stall. Nope.

levlongnprosper

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:59 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Why doesn't she wear tampons just to school? Then drop them straight into the toilet and problem solved.

That clogs toilets

dee's mommy

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:00 pm
This is designed for reusable cloth pads (which I recommend) but it is an elegant pouch with a place for dry pads, and a place for used pads. Maybe something like this?

https://www.okocreations.ca/ec.....group

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:08 pm
Can I ask a side question?
My daughter has not gotten her period yet. I made sure she has a pad in her backpack just in case it happens at school. She is really nervous that it will happen for the first time at school. I reassured her that it won't leak through everything before she can get to the bathroom, and that it doesn't come like a tidal wave. But I've heard some horror stories that for some girls it really comes on strong and with no warning. She wants to start wearing a pad everyday just in case it comes. I told he that that's too crazy, and it will be fine and it probably won't even happen at school. But what if I'm wrong and it's traumatic for her? Any tips??

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:35 pm
Divacup. For grownups too. Takes getting used to. So worth it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:36 pm
When I was in around sixth grade, my school suddenly added garbage cans in certain st alls, and said that they were "Jr.Hi bathrooms". (Or maybe they already were jr hi bathrooms... The point was that they add trash cans.)

This was because the mother (a"h) of one of the girls called the school and asked them too take care of it.

You can do that, too. The school needs to add trash cans!

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
Divacup. For grownups too. Takes getting used to. So worth it.

I second the idea of a menstrual cup.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 6:27 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Why doesn't she wear tampons just to school? Then drop them straight into the toilet and problem solved.

Tampons don't recycle, you can't just flush them. They have to go in the garbage.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:14 pm
Virtually everyone flushes tampons.

Anyway, I went to school with no garbage cans in the stalls, just one in the outer area (for paper towel from washing hands) and I remember finding it super awkward to walk out of the stall with my wrapped used pad (at that point I did not know how to use tampons) and dispose of it. It's rough.

tzimip

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:21 pm
This is what I told my daughter to do (and I do it too). Put toilet paper or tissues on top of pad. That way the pad stays clean and you just change the tissue. This way you don't have to bring anything in or out of the bathroom.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:59 pm
Tzimip, how does blood not seep through tissues???

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Can I ask a side question?
My daughter has not gotten her period yet. I made sure she has a pad in her backpack just in case it happens at school. She is really nervous that it will happen for the first time at school. I reassured her that it won't leak through everything before she can get to the bathroom, and that it doesn't come like a tidal wave. But I've heard some horror stories that for some girls it really comes on strong and with no warning. She wants to start wearing a pad everyday just in case it comes. I told he that that's too crazy, and it will be fine and it probably won't even happen at school. But what if I'm wrong and it's traumatic for her? Any tips??

Give her some tips on what it will feel like when she gets her period. As long as she pays attention to what her body is telling her, she should be fine and will be able to get to the bathroom in time. Educate her until she feels confident in her ability to be in tune with her own body.
If she's still worried, panty liners are a normal item to wear. Make sure they're breathable like Kotex and not plastic lined like Always. But wearing pads every day should be discouraged.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:46 am
If there is no trash can or receptical in the stall and they won't put one in, flush bemezid.

tzimip

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:12 am
It just doesn't. I put in 3 tissues and I get a pretty heavy period.

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:29 am
If it’s any help, my high schoolers say it’s not a big deal - everyone gets their period and they all deal with the same issue.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
Virtually everyone flushes tampons.

Anyway, I went to school with no garbage cans in the stalls, just one in the outer area (for paper towel from washing hands) and I remember finding it super awkward to walk out of the stall with my wrapped used pad (at that point I did not know how to use tampons) and dispose of it. It's rough.

Honestly, people should not be flushing tampons, pads, condoms, wipes (even flushable ones), certain brands of toilet paper etc. Maybe people you know ("virtually everyone") are simply ignorant or outright selfish and do not care about a building's plumbing or another's financial loss. I personally do not know anyone who flushes those items and I cannot fathom them continuing after dealing with plumbers, but could imagine people may not care at a hotel, school building, etc. Still, I would never do that because since childhood I've been taught to only flush toilet paper down the toilet and doing so it irresponsible.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 8:20 am
tzimip wrote:
This is what I told my daughter to do (and I do it too). Put toilet paper or tissues on top of pad. That way the pad stays clean and you just change the tissue. This way you don't have to bring anything in or out of the bathroom.

This is a problem because, depending on your flow and the brand of toilet paper, the tissues may disintegrate, leaving you with quite mess and small, micro pieces of toilet paper. (This is the reason why toilet paper is safe to flush, while tampons and wipes are not - they disintegrate.) In addition, even if they do not dissolve (yet), they may become soaked (think what it would look like if you held toilet paper under a faucet) and not be practical to remove. If this works for you and your daughter, great, but it will not work for everyone (speaking from personal experience in no other option period situations).

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 8:49 am
tzimip wrote:
It just doesn't. I put in 3 tissues and I get a pretty heavy period.

I've tried this with Kleenex tissues. I need about 5-6 tissues and it can last about an hour tops on a heavy day.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children