Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O making beds - bed makers happier than non- bed makers
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:14 pm
Don't make my bed, never saw the point. Once a week housekeeper does it. Am happier then bc the whole house looks clean, it's not a din in the bed specifically.
I own my own home, am ok with my job, am usually happy, which proves what??

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:21 pm
Even among the 68,000 people there are happy non-bed makers. Who cares if one person doesn't make their bed and is still happy? It does not negate the study.

In general non-bed makers are not as happy as successful af bed makers.

simcha2

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:22 pm
Rachel Shira wrote:
No judgment at all just really curious why making your bed grosses you out!

No judgement taken.

When you (the genetic "you") sleep, you sweat. That dampness gets absorbed into the sheets and mattress. When you make your bed you are preventing your sheets from airing out and encouraging bacteria growth. It's incredibly unhealthy, and gross.

Then people climb into that same bed, with the same sheets, the next night. Nasty.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....8w8s_

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
Even among the 68,000 people there are happy non-bed makers. Who cares if one person doesn't make their bed and is still happy? It does not negate the study.

You have to finish the sentence though.

In general non-bed makers are not as happy and successful as bed makers but its not because of their bed making style rather other external or internal factors For example disorganization, depression, low income society, overworked mom with 2 jobs etc...

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:30 pm
There was a period in my life when my housekeeper was making all the beds daily. She no longer works for us, and the beds are not always made. I'm happier now than I was then. I guess I'm an outlier, but at least I know that for me, there does not seem to be any correlation or causation in the direction that you're indicating.

mum22

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:31 pm
Reality I do apologise.
My intention wasn’t to be rude or put anyone down. I will be more careful to write in a kinder tone. I didn’t realise how it could come across.

I was generalising- as this whole topic is a generalisation.
That’s what the MAYBE was for. Not everyone but maybe some ppl have areas they can improve.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:36 pm
simcha2 wrote:
No judgement taken.

When you (the genetic "you") sleep, you sweat. That dampness gets absorbed into the sheets and mattress. When you make your bed you are preventing your sheets from airing out and encouraging bacteria growth. It's incredibly unhealthy, and gross.

Then people climb into that same bed, with the same sheets, the next night. Nasty.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....8w8s_

Got it! I did know that but I guess I never thought to be grossed out by it. Very Happy If there’s an excuse to not make my bed I’ll take it though.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:

So what does that tell us?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:39 pm
mum22 wrote:
Reality I do apologise.
My intention wasn’t to be rude or put anyone down. I will be more careful to write in a kinder tone. I didn’t realise how it could come across.

That’s what the MAYBE was for. Not everyone but maybe some ppl have areas they can improve.

Thank you. .

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:50 pm
I am much happier when my house is neat, beds made...
But I’m am not happy if my house is neat and there is no peace in my home.
In order to walk around happy there has to be peace of mind, love and acceptance in life.

DREAMING

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I must suffer from multiple personality disorder based on this study. Some beds I make = I'm happy and some I leave unmade = unhappy. My happiness must fluctuate as I walk from room to room within a three minute span.

LOL

DREAMING

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:54 pm
I do feel better if the master bedroom is neat. I appreciate but don't care as much if the kids rooms are neat

Reality

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:56 pm
mum22 wrote:
Reality I do apologise.

Thank you! That was very nice of you to apologise!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
In a survey of 68,000 people by Hunch.com, 59 percent of people don't make their beds. 27 percent do, while 12 percent pay a housekeeper to make it for them. Here's what disturbed me: 71 percent of bed makers consider themselves happy; while 62 percent of non-bed-makers admit to being unhappy.
Make Your Bed, Change Your Life? | Psychology Today

Non bed makers are obviously more honest than the bed makers who more easily delude themselves that they are happy. 😉

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:05 pm
I’m not going to lie. I do feel better seeing my bed made.

But I’m still not going to start making it. Part laziness/ part just not being very good at it and getting frustrated.

My housekeeper does it 3 days a week. I’ll have to find something else to lift my spirits the other four days, lol!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
Non bed makers are obviously more honest than the bed makers who more easily delude themselves that they are happy. 😉

That's it. Do they delude themselves that they own their own homes rather than rent? Are they deluding themselves that they exercise regularly?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:19 pm
amother wrote:
So what does that tell us?

It tells us that those who make their beds have a better life than those that don't.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:35 pm
Curious if we're all meaning the same thing.

What exactly constitutes making the bed? When I use the phrase, I mean throwing the comforter over it, and pulling so there are no wrinkles. Takes exactly 2.7 seconds. Okay, I'm exaggerating. It takes 6 seconds. Maybe 5.

But reading this thread is making me wonder if others are doing something more labor intensive ??

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
It really doesn't matter which one it is. I think it is correlation, but making the bed is a start to having a winning day. When you care about your environment, you care about other things.

"Bed makers are also more likely to like their jobs, own a home, exercise regularly, and feel well rested, whereas non-bed-makers hate their jobs, rent apartments, avoid the gym, and wake up tired."

I rather be on the side that is winning and happier.

Oh please. Maybe they don’t make their beds or exercise because they get up at 4 am to go to work and their partners are still snoozing when they leave. Maybe that’s why they also don’t feel well rested. I fail to see how making their bed (in the dark, trying not to disturb a sleeping partner) is going to change that.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:23 pm
An awful lot of amothers here are making housekeeping out to be a mark of moral superiority. Get over yourselves. It’s the proverbial “good thing” but morally superior you.are.not.

FTR I happen to stand on the neater side of the equation, and occasionally suspect myself of having mild OCD traits. I’m the one straightening out the towels on the towel bar, multiple times a day, fir example, but unlike a lot of posters here, I don’t feel that that makes me a better person or a better parent or entitled to tell other people how to bring up their children.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry