Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How much to tip full time cleaning help/babysitter?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:12 pm
"A 2012 holiday tipping survey by Consumer Reports found 64% of Americans who use house cleaners tipped them for the holidays with a median of a $50 holiday tip."

A week's pay is ridiculous. $50.00 is enough.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:
"A 2012 holiday tipping survey by Consumer Reports found 64% of Americans who use house cleaners tipped them for the holidays with a median of a $50 holiday tip."

This study doesn’t differentiate between full time help in OP case vs once a week help

Last edited by pesek zman on Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

amother wrote:

Doesn't record how much they are paying the house cleaner.

Most Americans don't have full time help.

I have $60 a week. That is 3 hours a week.

For the holidays - I provide regular pay, and a separate pay of the same amount.

amother
Blue

amother wrote:

Doesn't record how much they are paying the house cleaner.

Most Americans don't have full time help.

I have $60 a week. That is 3 hours a week.

For the holidays - I provide regular pay, and a separate pay of the same amount.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:25 pm
nchr wrote:
Huh? I never called anyone cheap. I was pointing out that in America, it is standard to tip your cleaning help, mailman, garbageman, etc. Those amounts probably vary by location, so I shared what I think is normal.

Sorry another poster mentioned that it made a person look cheap.
And yes its nice to show appreciation but everyone should give whatever they can afford. As for sanitation and govt employees, they are not allowed to accept cash so, that is where a gift comes in. (I live in brooklyn. Don’t know about other areas)
I don’t remember my parents giving tips in Eretz Yisroel. Or family members in Europe doing so.
I could be wrong.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:44 pm
Cleaning ladies where I live(NY/NJ) all make more than the minimum wage. So stop feeling bad for them. They get free lunch and paid transportation both ways. They also don’t have to pay taxes so they get all free stuff from the government. Mcdonalds, Walmarts, restaurant waitresses all make less than them an hour. Do they all get a week bonus from their boss? Also once you pay off the books then the one week tipping flies out the window.

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:48 pm
amother wrote:

Absolutely agree. A 50$ bonus to someone who gets 10-15/hr is huge.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:48 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:06 pm
nchr wrote:
My cleaning lady is paid on the books and I give her legal overtime when she works over 40 hours (she works about 70-80 hours per week so...). Anyways, my cleaning lady is paid less per hour though than others but it ends up being more because I pay her time and a half for overtime and we also provide her with health insurance. Many cleaning ladies make between $11-$14, which is comparable to McDonalds and Walmart employees (as I stated minimum wage in NYS is $10/hr and $15/hr for big box corporations).

You are wrong about minimum wage.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
You are wrong about minimum wage.

Please review. I have employees, so....

https://www.ny.gov/new-york-st.....-wage

As of 12/31/18:
NYC - Big Employers (of 11 or more) $15
NYC - Small Employers (10 or less) $13.50
Long Island & Westchester $12.00
Remainder of New York State Workers $11.10

Waitresses and other tipped food workers are paid less per hour and rely on tips.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:31 pm
nchr wrote:
Please review. I have employees, so....

https://www.ny.gov/new-york-st.....-wage

As of 12/31/18:
NYC - Big Employers (of 11 or more) $15
NYC - Small Employers (10 or less) $13.50
Long Island & Westchester $12.00
Remainder of New York State Workers $11.10

Waitresses and other tipped food workers are paid less per hour and rely on tips.

First off, we are governed by the rate as of 12/31/17 not 18.

Secondly, you incorrectly said twice, " (as I stated minimum wage in NYS is $10/hr and $15/hr for big box corporations)."

Minimum wage right now is as I stated it.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
First off, we are governed by the rate as of 12/31/17 not 18.

Secondly, you incorrectly said twice, " (as I stated minimum wage in NYS is $10/hr and $15/hr for big box corporations)."

Minimum wage right now is as I stated it.

I apologize for the .40 difference, which I did write as approximately in a previous post and used the $15 because I was referring to our future change.

nchr wrote:
What do you pay your cleaning lady. Minimum wage is about $10 in NYS and $15 for larger corporations.

BTW where did you mention what minimum wage is in NYS?

As of 12/31/17:

NYC - Big Employers (of 11 or more) $13
NYC - Small Employers (10 or less) $12
Long Island & Westchester $11
Remainder of New York State Workers $10.40

Of course it is changing this month to the other numbers I quoted above.

My cleaning lady is currently paid $11/hr, but I will have to increase her rate in January.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:57 pm
nchr wrote:
BTW where did you mention what minimum wage is in NYS?

As of 12/31/17:

NYC - Big Employers (of 11 or more) $13
NYC - Small Employers (10 or less) $12
Long Island & Westchester $11
Remainder of New York State Workers $10.40

Of course it is changing this month to the other numbers I quoted above.

My cleaning lady is currently paid $11/hr, but I will have to increase her rate in January.

Where I quoted you, you didn't say approximately. You said "is" which is incorrect.

It is becoming comical how you can't admit you made an error. Move on.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 5:00 pm
amother wrote:
Where I quoted you, you didn't say approximately. You said "is" which is incorrect.

It is becoming comical how you can't admit you made an error. Move on.

I did apologize already (for saying $10 instead of $10.40) and I did mean to write approximately like I did before. Again, I'm still not understanding where you're saying I'm off. Most cleaning ladies are paid comparable salaries to ppl with minimum wage. And why are you amother?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 5:08 pm
What's comical here is that minimum wage is $10. $10.40 rounded down is $10. What are you two disagreeing about?

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 5:23 pm
I think another also means the $15 which was off. Still, cleaning ladies do not make more than people making minimum wage and do not necessarily have the same benefits (I.e. insurance, vacations, growth, ssi, etc.). Since they are easily replaceable, they, in part, have to be happy and not complain, but they are a huge part of our lives. Mine is on the books, but the majority are not. This means their employers cannot claim credits, which also costs employers money, but they are saving on overtime and insurance. As are my neighbors who pay under minimum wage.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:10 pm
One weeks wages sounds good for the richies. When both parents are working in hi paying jobs & they have a pro nanny full time taking care of kids, house & laundry, American, & knowing Am norms, then it makes sense. Are you all rich?

Otoh if you have sahm + dad making minimal salary, help is immigrant, not knowing Am norms.....then I think paying a weeks pay as bonus is not reasonable. They then go back to their country of origin & build mansions, with the money they earned in US, as USD are much stronger then the currency of their country. Every dollar they earn has double, triple or even more value in their country.

Before pesach....after heavier workload....I gave mine $100, which she was floored but thrilled, (even after making kinzen)
Yom tov time I give her extra $20 if she comes on yom tov to do the dishes....
On Chanukah I gave worth of 2 hrs pay as a bonus. She was happy for extra. Maybe I'll give her again this week. Also gave some gifts for her kids.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
One weeks wages sounds good for the richies. When both parents are working in hi paying jobs & they have a pro nanny full time taking care of kids, house & laundry, American, & knowing Am norms, then it makes sense. Are you all rich?

Otoh if you have sahm + dad making minimal salary, help is immigrant, not knowing Am norms.....then I think paying a weeks pay as bonus is not reasonable. They then go back to their country of origin & build mansions, with the money they earned in US, as USD are much stronger then the currency of their country. Every dollar they earn has double, triple or even more value in their country.

Before pesach....after heavier workload....I gave mine $100, which she was floored but thrilled, (even after making kinzen)
Yom tov time I give her extra $20 if she comes on yom tov to do the dishes....
On Chanukah I gave worth of 2 hrs pay as a bonus. She was happy for extra. Maybe I'll give her again this week. Also gave some gifts for her kids.

WOW. You win.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics