Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Who is behind the shomrim cards?
1  2  3  4  Next

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:25 pm
My son recently came from school with shomrim cards and told me that kids were exchanging it in school. I asked one of the moms where did his kid got them from and she told me he often finds them outside or in shul.

Some of them are pretty offensive and I was surprised to see them circulating around.

Does anyone know who is behind these cards?

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:27 pm
I don't know. We have them in Israel too. It's like Ben Garrison level cartoons - offensive and stupid

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:27 pm
AFAIK the guy just passed away. Let's not discuss it please.

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
AFAIK the guy just passed away. Let's not discuss it please.

I'm sorry to hear that.

simba

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:32 pm
I have no idea where they come from. My children know that they are not nice and I don’t let them have them.
They are offensive and sad.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:33 pm
What are shomrim cards? Are they like baseball cards? What is on these cards?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:35 pm
Some chassidish fanatics started this whole shomrim movement. They teach kids to be chuzpadig and disrespectful to people with smartphones. How sad. I'd rather my child have a smartphone and be respectful and kind with good middos.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:38 pm
The man that started the shomrim cards passed away suddenly last week at his child's sheva brochos.

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:41 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The man that started the shomrim cards passed away suddenly last week at his child's sheva brochos.

Oy vey. That's terrible. May his family have a nechama.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:43 pm
Not sudden at all. He had cancer and his name was out for tehillim for a while already.
I'm not sure where you heard that, thunderstorm.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:00 pm
simba wrote:
I have no idea where they come from. My children know that they are not nice and I don’t let them have them.
They are offensive and sad.

Same here.

clowny

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:12 pm
I’ve been hearing about these shomrim cards for a while but only got to see some for the first time last week. I read one of them and I almost vomited ( why can’t I found that emoji???)
They’re disgusting and extremely disrespectful.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:17 pm
They are banned from my house.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:37 pm
These are baseball-style cards that encourage kids to be chutzpadnik to adults with smartphones?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:47 pm
My son came home with them last year when he was in first grade. I was furious. Why in the world would someone think it's a normal thing for a little kid? I actually called his (yeshivish) principal and they took them away.

They are disgusting cards. I tried calling the place who makes them many times. Never had the decency to even answer the phone....

fbcmom

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:50 pm
When I first saw them I was furious. I asked my father who is a very frum chasidish man about it, if and why rabbanim let this... horrible campaign.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:07 pm
sequoia wrote:
These are baseball-style cards that encourage kids to be chutzpadnik to adults with smartphones?

They are baseball style cards that show pictures of people with smartphones where horrible things happening to them or horrible things about them. I don't remember the particulars but I think there was one with a picture of a guy with a smartphone who died and went straight to h-ll, and I think another one comparing someone with a smartphone to a cow. Similar ideas. Being given to children in some chassidish schools. It's horrific.

sequoia

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:09 pm
amother wrote:
They are baseball style cards that show pictures of people with smartphones where horrible things happening to them or horrible things about them. I don't remember the particulars but I think there was one with a picture of a guy with a smartphone who died and went straight to h-ll, and I think another one comparing someone with a smartphone to a cow. Similar ideas. Being given to children in some chassidish schools. It's horrific.

The teachers give them to the kids?

keym

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:19 pm
sequoia wrote:
The teachers give them to the kids?

I don't allow my kids to collect them. Some schools, shuls, learning programs give them out as incentives. The kids play, trade, and gamble with them. And the people who give them out will arrange "free giveaways".
They are horribly disrespectful.
Any shomrim cards that make it into my house are given to my toddler and preschooler to practice their " scissors skills" on.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:25 pm
If what is written in this thread is true, I think it proves that Smartphones are good, and anyone who opposes them are at BEST, misguided.

Why on earth was the op of this thread reported?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics