Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Is the government spying on you through your phone?
Previous  1  2

yersp

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 6:52 am
I totally agree to the spying thing.
I read a story of a high school girl whose father figured out she was pregnant because all of a sudden she started getting baby coupons and free stuff. She was googling due dates and pregnancy related questions.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:10 am
If you really want to be horrified, Google "MyDol App". It's the scariest thing I've come across in ages, and I am not a paranoid person by any means.

DD heard about it from her friends, and downloaded it to see if it was true. She got so scared that she deleted the app, but it keeps coming back. For now she's shut off her phone completely, and keeps it in the hall closet until we can get it completely reset by the company.

If you don't want to Google, basically it is a sophisticated virus/hack that hears everything you say in the room, sees everything the camera sees, and reads everything you've ever posted. Then the app can "talk to you" like an AI. But the creepy thing is, it's not an AI like Siri. It's actually people sitting in a call center in Korea, and they see what your child is doing, build trust, and then mess with them. One girl has already committed suicide so far.

I know it sounds like an urban legend, but it's happening RIGHT NOW.

ally

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:15 am
I would take government over google/Facebook any day.

At least government has some oversight if not perfect. Silicon Valley is the Wild West.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:36 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
That being said, I know most people disagree with me on this but I don’t get the whole Edward Snowden thing. Like so what? I am not doing anything wrong so why would I care if the government listens into my calls? If letting them listen helps catch murderers and prevent terror and mass shootings I am all for it. Yes, I talk about private things over the phone, things I wouldn’t want anyone to know, but nothing the government would care about so...let them listen.

I used to feel exactly the same way until I watched Snowden. I get that it's an extremely biased film but it did a great job of getting me to consider an alternative point of view. The potential for misuse is very real and the possible fallout is enormous.

ggdm

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 5:14 am
We should be skeptical about giving others too much information about ourselves.

In case of the gouvernement, what looks innocent for a good system may become dangerous for a totalitarian one. Remember the innocent field "religion" in Dutch state registers - which became a tool of murder in the hands of the Nazis later. So you might not care that the gouvernement knows now that you have flower pots in your room. But when it becomes illegal to do so because plants rule over us, you will curse the day Siri gave you away.

It is also dangerous to give data to private companies. As in the example above with baby stuff when nobody knows yet that you are pregnant, it may "out" you when you are not ready. Dynamic pricing and targeted advertising make lead to you pay more than necessary because the companies know what you really want. You may be denied services, e.g. a health insurance does not take you because you don't floss. Bad people may gain access to data once it exists, e.g. the robber waiting for you to go on vacation.

The best way to ensure that no bad things happen with our data is to avoid collection of the data. Because once it exists, nobody can make sure it will not be misused.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics