Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Affordable Lubavitch communities across the US?
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:51 pm
We want to buy a house—prefer to spend less than 250k. Ideas what could be a good fit? We are happy to spend a bit more on a 2 unit townhouse in order to rent one out.

Prefer non materialistic, spiritusl comunity. Pls tell me what ur community is like and in which areas of town I should be looking. If you can recommend a local realtor as well pls pm me.

Thanks!!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:53 pm
following

pesek zman

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:00 pm
Cleveland. Diverse community including a large Lubavitcher shul and community

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 6:57 pm
Pittsburgh. You can find cheap housing in the Greenfield neighborhood where many frum families are moving.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:19 pm
Not to hijack but what are the economics of affordable communities - I.e. are living costs low enough to offset what I assume are lower salaries? Some of the areas that are often mentioned seem to have (or had) difficult job markets.

Are the communities less insular than what many might be used to who are used to Brooklyn? What I mean is that it would seem that one would probably be employed in environments which are very mixed and therefore it would seem to be almost impossible for those without adequate English language skills to earn a living - I.e. one might be able to marginally exist without English reading and comprehension in Brooklyn but that would seem to be impossible in Pittsburgh.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:37 pm
Kingston PA is an upcoming new community. Housing is cheap It’s a two hour drive from Monsey. There is a cheder there as well

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Not to hijack but what are the economics of affordable communities - I.e. are living costs low enough to offset what I assume are lower salaries? Some of the areas that are often mentioned seem to have (or had) difficult job markets.

Are the communities less insular than what many might be used to who are used to Brooklyn? What I mean is that it would seem that one would probably be employed in environments which are very mixed and therefore it would seem to be almost impossible for those without adequate English language skills to earn a living - I.e. one might be able to marginally exist without English reading and comprehension in Brooklyn but that would seem to be impossible in Pittsburgh.

I can't speak for everywhere but in Pittsburgh, yes, you'd need English writing and basic math skills to get a job outside of the frum community. Most community members do work in not Jewish environments which is something to bear in mind as well.

Definitely do not move to Pittsburgh until you have a job as the job market really isn't that great.

flmommy

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:43 pm
Coral Springs, FL

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:54 pm
Maybe Baltimore? I believe they have a lubavitch elementary school and Shuls

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:35 pm
Following

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 3:02 pm
I'm lubavitch and live in Monsey.
it isnt all that affordable so I imagine it's not on your radar. I'm also not happy with the chinuch here.

what about Philedelphia or Baltimore?

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 3:24 pm
There are growing chabad communities in Philadelphia (overbrook/wynnewood area) and Kingston, pa. Housing is cheaper in Kingston, but the job market is more open in Philadelphia. Both have a cheder.

mha3484

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 3:40 pm
Chicago has a large community and it’s medium in affordilbilty. Decent job market also.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 3:49 pm
When naming a community,, it may be helpful to list:

1) Average rent and purchase of apartments, townhomes and single family homes.

2) Types of schools available and tuition and if any scholarships are usually available

3) Size of community and breakup of type of people, community events etc.

4) Kosher amenities available

5) Special needs services available

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 4:12 pm
I'll start, I live in Coral Springs , FL

When naming a community, it may be helpful to list:

Rents: range $1200 for apt to $3000 for him with pool
Purchase: $100,000 Apt to $400,000 for 4 bedroom home with pool

2) Types of schools available and tuition and if any scholarships are usually available

We have great schools through High school (boys and girls) tuition discounts trough a Florida private school scholarship program. Tuition is high and families should expect to be about $7-8000 before applying for a school scholarship, which are available as needed.

We have about 80 Frum Lubavitch families and probably about 20 non Frum, numbers may be off though. We have an active Nshei, weekly shiurim for mens and women, kids program, Avon ubanim, images ubanos plus many special programs throughout the year.
we have a universally accepted Eiruv, many women come to shul, there is a Kiddush every week that many stay by and socialize.

We. have one small local pizza shop and small grocery with fleshing takeout, our local Walmart carries chicken, meat, milk, milchigs plus a fair amount of kosher company groceries. We're 20 minutes from a choice of kosher groceries and many eateries. Kosher food is a bit more expensive but we have Walmart, Sams Club, BJ's to offset that.

Does not compare to NY at all, but there are some options depending on what's needed.

Great achdus in the community.
Weather is hot and humid a lot of the year, but everything is air conditioned.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 6:59 pm
For Coral Springs amother...
We,re Lubavitch empty nesters. I'm 63, dh71. How many older people are in the community? We plan to visit in a few months.

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:21 pm
Kingston, PA

You can get a small 3-4 bedroom for under $100,000. A very nice 3,000+ square foot house for under $300,000.

There aren't really apartment buildings here but you can rent a 3 bedroom half-double (half a duplex) for about $800-900 per month.

There is a cheder k-8, tuition officially is $7000 per child but discounts are available. There is an alternative yeshiva currently in the process of relocating to the poconos, and they have their own cheder as well. There is another chabad yeshiva in Canadensis, PA, with the possibility of that community growing as well in a couple years.

Mostly young Lubavitch families, it's growing pretty rapidly so I would say about 50 families by now. A handful of frum non-Lubavitch families. Most non-Lubavitch Jews here are elderly.

There are regular shiurrim and farbrengena for men. For women theres a weekly shiur and once a month a rush chodesh gathering with lighter activities. Avos ubonim. Yeshivas erev. Mesibas shabbos when shabbos is later.

There is a kosher pizza shop open 2-3 days a week. Plans for a flaishig restauarant, I'm not sure if it's open yet. There is a small selection of kosher products available at the local Price Chopper. There is a kosher co-op in Scranton (about a half hour away) that delivers to Kingston.

Early intervention services are pretty good. Elementary school age, you're on your own.

6) Job opportunities: Many people who are not employed by the cheder/yeshiva have home-based businesses, either internet-based or freelancers. A few work in healthcare. You need to have a plan for parnassa lined up before moving here. Housing is cheap but everything else cost money.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
For Coral Springs amother...
We,re Lubavitch empty nesters. I'm 63, dh71. How many older people are in the community? We plan to visit in a few months.

Most empty nesters I know have lived here for years and have married kids living here. There are a few in your age range.
There are a large amount of kids, BH.
Many in your age group look into gated retirement villages, like Century Village, unless you'd like to be part of a younger community.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 10:23 pm
"Many in your age group look into gated retirement villages, like Century Village, unless you'd like to be part of a younger community."
There are Lubavitch gated communities in Century Village?? Where?
Dh doesn't want to be with only elderly and I tend to agree. As long as we,re not the only older couple and there are others our age, we'd be fine. Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:35 am
Century Village in WestPalm beach, Boca and Deerfield Beach each have a fair amount of Frum with Shiurim and a social life.
I know Deerfield has a separate Chabad minyan, not sure about the others.
The advantage of these places are that the village takes care of maintenance, but there are only 1 and 2 bedrooms with rules and regulations about visitors.
Shared coin operated washer/dryers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating