Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moved OOT, now I want to move BACK

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 10:53 am
I moved OOT a few years ago mainly bc of housing. Now for a variety of reasons, chinuch being top, I want to move back.

Good news is that salaries for my profession have gone up in the NY area and I can easily make double what I make now. Unfortunately even at double the salary I cant easily afford NY rent, and a down payment is out of the question.

If my budget is $3500 a month, what can I expect to find? I'm originally from CH but open to considering other parts of Brooklyn. (Not Monsey or LI though.)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:07 am
How many kids do you have? How many bedrooms do you need?

Is the $3500 just for housing or your total budget?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:10 am
amother wrote:
How many kids do you have? How many bedrooms do you need?

Is the $3500 just for housing or your total budget?

I'd like a 4 bedroom. 2 bathrooms is a must.

$3500 just for housing .

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:12 am
Bigger OOT place?

kerem

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:14 am
Not sure about everywhere in Brooklyn, but $3,500 per month can get you a luxurious 4 bedroom apartment in Boro Park.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:15 am
Live in boro park in a small 4 bedroom 1.5 bath for $3000

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:36 am
kerem wrote:
Not sure about everywhere in Brooklyn, but $3,500 per month can get you a luxurious 4 bedroom apartment in Boro Park.

What do you call luxurious?

I'm used to my spacious OOT house.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:41 am
The transition from a House to apartment is going to be a big adjustment for your kids. We rented for almost a decade before we bought a house and I cant imagine my kids wanting to go back to apartment living. Giving up the backyard especially would be so sad for them. Also needing to be much quieter to not upset your neighbors etc. Are you only interested in NY or other large OOT cities?

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:47 am
You can rent a smal Flatbush house for that price.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:17 pm
mha3484 wrote:
The transition from a House to apartment is going to be a big adjustment for your kids. We rented for almost a decade before we bought a house and I cant imagine my kids wanting to go back to apartment living. Giving up the backyard especially would be so sad for them. Also needing to be much quieter to not upset your neighbors etc. Are you only interested in NY or other large OOT cities?

We live not far from NY and I have older children in yeshiva in NY. I have a daughter approaching HS age who'd have to leave home. My kids are BEGGING me to move back and say they dont care if they have to live in a basement.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:21 pm
Then that is great! I hope you have hatzlacha!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:22 pm
I've seen Homecrest Realty often has houses for rent in Flatbush I think it's doable. (917) 361-8268

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 3:41 pm
Honestly I dont see how anyone lives there with those prices. Does everyone make $200k+?

I've been doing the math and even with a $150k salary (double what I make now) and giving up one car we will not come out ahead.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:00 pm
Would you conider Staten Island? - I think it's somewhat cheaper than Brooklyn. Hatzlacha!

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:26 pm
Avrohom Appelbaum helps people find good rentals in Brooklyn.

1(347)545-2757

Hatzlacha with your search, OP!

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:57 pm
Staten island/Lakewood/jersey city/ queens/ Basewater?

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:01 am
Depending on where you are now, you may find that moving to NY also means an increase in budget for clothing and other "stuff" to keep up with the Joneses. Something to consider.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 3:43 am
amother wrote:
Honestly I dont see how anyone lives there with those prices. Does everyone make $200k+?

I've been doing the math and even with a $150k salary (double what I make now) and giving up one car we will not come out ahead.

We live in NY and have done the math the opposite way too, and we wouldn't come out ahead OOT either. The expenses are just different but we'd have to work just as hard. The only thing we'd gain is more square footage and for us we'd rather stay here.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 3:45 am
amother wrote:
We live not far from NY and I have older children in yeshiva in NY. I have a daughter approaching HS age who'd have to leave home. My kids are BEGGING me to move back and say they dont care if they have to live in a basement.

Caveat they may change their tune when it happens

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 3:50 am
This should give you an idea what you can get in Crown Heights:

https://www.collive.com//newcf.....cat=2
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating