Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist who can figure out source of emotional issues?
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
I am not hoping for a quick solution. I am hoping for a reliable diagnosis and recommendation so that I don't waste years on the wrong type of treatment.

12 years ago we used neuro psychological testing for one of my children that showed her problem was organic in nature and not from trauma or circumstances as so many therapists had us believe. She gave recommendations and told you her strengths, her gifted areas, her
her inborn talents.
She was new and took insurance. Today she is overbooked and takes money. her name is Dr. Danov and is located in Staten Island.
Her recommendations were excellent.
NYU for a nominal fee would do neuropsychological testing with many people behind mirrors doing their own unbiased assessment. Today, however all Jewish people should keep away from them. Their social service team will target orthodox families for any small scratch found on a child.
if you could refuah helpline in Monroe NY they can probably recommend you one according to your insurance. 845 782 2000.

I believe some of our ima mothers can also recommend a Dr. Davidowitz somewher in Long Island or Queens who is used by many frum people.
Remembe, the long way is the short way and the short way is the long way.

If you cannot get it on insurance it might be worth to pay $3000 for a good neuro psychologist before you see therapists for years.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:24 pm
Thank you, I am going to look into Dr. Danov and Dr. Davidowitz. Do you know a first name? There are probably a lot of Davidowitzes.

We had neuropsychological testing when we got the ADHD diagnosis but that didn't go into emotions so much. It was more about how they learn and think, and there was some psychological screening but it was mostly interview style. I don't think they would have a clue if the child is depressed unless they were threatening to kill themselves or something. That was just my impression. And that was about a year ago, the angry outbursts and other unhappy behavior are more recent and I don't think it makes sense to go through all that testing again.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:

I believe some of our ima mothers can also recommend a Dr. Davidowitz somewher in Long Island or Queens who is used by many frum people.
Remembe, the long way is the short way and the short way is the long way.

If you cannot get it on insurance it might be worth to pay $3000 for a good neuro psychologist before you see therapists for years.

Dr. Davidowitz had evaluated my son some 20 years ago. He recommended that we place him in a special-ed program, and said that we better stick to one language at home, because we would be luckey if he ever spoke one language. Our son turned out to be highly gifted, and once his speech delay was tended to (via RSA and related services while keeping him in a regular yeshiva environment), he became an honor student at the top of his class, all the way through college. Dr. Davidowitz was a pleasure to deal with -- very pleasant and professional, but he was wrong about our son.

dankbar

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:24 am
Play therapy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics