Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Playroom/art supplies managment

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:38 pm
I've had it!

My art suppliest is all over the place. I tried to use little drawers and some big drawers to seperate the art supplies- which did work for a period of time. Now the baby learned to walk and is taking out all the arts supplies (mainly markers!) at her own will and colors everywhere (they are washable markers, but even that has its limits!)!!

My older kids 7 and under can keep the basics in their drawers but they are endlessly taking paper after paper, coloring/decorating etc.. and then typically all those papers get left on the floor! PAPERS ARE EVERYWHERE! (including cut out papers from the child who is going through the "I need to cut everything" stage).

This usually takes place in the playroom- and I designated this room as the playroom so they can have fun and dh and I wont be tripping over all their stuff (which in that respect the playroom is amazing). I want my kids to enjoy their childhood and be able to color/do art at their free will... yes a ton of paper is being wasted daily but I feel like its worth the money because they enjoy it (I don't buy them many expensive or even inexpensive toys.. they have a good amount of toys but can stay very busy with their arts n crafts).

To sum it up:
1. How do you keep arts n crafts easily accessible for my older/responsible kids and out of reach of the toddler (not talking about glitter or fancy/messy stuff like that which I reserve for special times and is kept away). I don't want them to have to ask me to get down the box of markers every time they want it (am I asking to much?!)

2. How do I get them to clean up after themselves?? Not talking about throwing their underwear in the laundry-- just to throw their scraps and not being using papers in the garbage (and yes I have a trash can in the playroom for that reason!) I don't wan to be a drill sergent.. I sincerly want them enjoying themselves without mommy threatening to take away all their markers!

DESPERATE FOR HELP AND GUIDANCE!!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:41 pm
Drawers within a child proof closed cabinet.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:47 pm
My supplies are locked in the playroom closet. The big kids ask for permission to take the key and they can access the supplies themselves. However, access to the supplies does mean the room will turn into a disaster zone. The snipping papers etc is a problem here too. I just leave it until the situation gets so out of hand I designate a day to tackle the playroom. My kids won't clean up (it's really mostly one kid who is impossible when it comes to messes). If he sees me working on the playroom he will help out. He gets too overwhelmed to do it himself .
I know it's bad that he doesn't pick up his mess but at least he keeps himself busy for hours without my interference.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:20 pm
thanks for your replies!

anyone else have advice?!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:55 pm
Get a closet with doors. Get differnent bins for markers, papers, stickers.......keep the doors closed so baby doesn’t get to it. Discuss with other kids how to clean up each time before they enter the room.

My stuff is in a closet that has shelves. The coloring books and papers are all in those standing mesh bins. Markers are in one bin, crayon in another... I make sure that closet it always organized and cluttler free. It’s easy for such closets to get messy fast.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:04 pm
I keep all supplies in sterilite boxes with lids, divided by type. I dedicated most of one small closet to those boxes- my kids really enjoy using them. The closet has a child lock for the under three chevra. The older ones can take as they please. My kids go through tons of paper too, but I think it's a great creative outlet for them, and I buy paper cheap.

Regarding cleanup- pretty often a child will come ask me for an apple/ to read her a book/ to get down a game for her. I let her know that I'll be happy to do it once she finishes cleaning up what she was using. Sometimes I get resistance, and then I calmly remind them that whatever is left on the floor will be swept up and dumped in the garbage. Luckily, they care enough about their stuff that it gets them moving. I have followed through with the sweeping up in the past, so they know I'm serious. I don't consider it a threat, it's simply a natural consequence for leaving the cleanup to mommy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics