Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Leviel
1  2  Next

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:52 pm
Someone who we worked with in Israel just had a baby girl who she named Leviel and calls Lev. I thought it was so beautiful and am wondering if anyone else has ever heard of it.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:13 pm
It sounds like it was meant to be a boys name.
I would not use that name for my child, especially not for a girl.

salt

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 6:49 am
Is it spelled לויאל or לביאל?

Either way, what's it supposed to mean?
Do you mean it has a beautiful meaning or beautiful sound?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 6:52 am
salt wrote:
Is it spelled לויאל or לביאל?

Either way, what's it supposed to mean?
Do you mean it has a beautiful meaning or beautiful sound?

I have no idea how it is spelled or what it means. I just sounds beautiful and unique and am wondering how common it is?

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
It sounds like it was meant to be a boys name.
I would not use that name for my child, especially not for a girl.

Do you think names like Ariel/Arielle, Danielle, Gabrielle, Emanuelle etc. sound like they are meant for a boy? There are tons more if you don't want to go with Hebrew as an origin (Annabelle, Arabelle, Gizelle, etc.). I've never heard of this name, male or female, but don't have an issue accepting it as feminine.

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:30 am
Sounds like "G-d is my heart" or "Lion of G-d."

Either way, beautiful name!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
I have no idea how it is spelled or what it means. I just sounds beautiful and unique and am wondering how common it is?

Common? Unheard of!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:41 am
Rappel wrote:
Sounds like "G-d is my heart" or "Lion of G-d."

Either way, beautiful name!

If It's Leviel spelled לביאל then "Gd is my heart", unheard of but could be for a girl or a boy.

If it's Leviel spelled לויאל, then it seems to be "god accompanies me" a spin-off of the name Levi, so would sound masculine. Never heard of it, but this is the one I imagined when I saw the thread title.

I think "lion of God" would be Laviel. Never heard of that either, but would tend toward it being masculine.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:43 am
I don't think it's fair to give kids a weird uncommon name, no matter how nice we think it is.

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:55 am
amother wrote:
If It's Leviel spelled לביאל then "Gd is my heart", unheard of but could be for a girl or a boy.

If it's Leviel spelled לויאל, then it seems to be "god accompanies me" a spin-off of the name Levi, so would sound masculine. Never heard of it, but this is the one I imagined when I saw the thread title.

I think "lion of God" would be Laviel. Never heard of that either, but would tend toward it being masculine.

The correct form of "G-d is my heart" would be ליביאל - Libiel. Yet with the nickname Lev, I'm inclined to think that was OP's friend's intention.

Although Lavi has certainly dominated as a masculine name, some meforshim say that it actually means a lioness. In modern Hebrew לביאה has become the common way to refer to a lioness, but if the OP's friend were drawing on לביא in its feminine sense, then she definitely has tradition to back her up.

לויאל actually didn't occur to me, but it's also very beautiful. Smile

no matter what, it's a lovely and meaningful name. May she bring her mother much nachat!

Rappel

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:21 pm
PSA: this is the second thread where I've noticed women posting negative comments about a baby's name post nominatio.

Honestly: what is the point of criticizing a baby's name? Even if you don't like it - it's not your child, and it's a done deal. I think this is an area where common sense dictates: "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:36 pm
Rappel wrote:
PSA: this is the second thread where I've noticed women posting negative comments about a baby's name post nominatio.

Honestly: what is the point of criticizing a baby's name? Even if you don't like it - it's not your child, and it's a done deal. I think this is an area where common sense dictates: "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Yes, absolutely right! As the mother of (now adult) children with unusual names, I would not have appreciated critiques after the fact. And my kids never complained about their names.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:37 pm
No one is saying not nice things to anyone. Awareness is allowed to be raised.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
No one is saying not nice things to anyone. Awareness is allowed to be raised.

Consider starting a separate thread on that topic.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:41 pm
Hello... she didn’t name her child this name! We are advising her not to!

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:47 pm
Rappel wrote:

Well put; however, in certain circles uniqueness is more appreciated than others. In Chassidishe circles, where people tend to name after relatives almost entirely, there are so many of the same names, that even when a relative has an unusual name people are critical (I.e. girl's names like Pia, Peshy, Nichy, Mirel, etc. are made fun of because names like Esty, Rivky, Ruchel, Hindy are so common). In other crowds, names are made fun of for sound too frum and people would rather go with a Leviel and make fun of a Sara. I don't think any name I've heard used by a frum person (from MO to ultra Chassidish) is ugly or deserves to be made fun of (most people have a reason they chose a name).

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:14 pm
Nchr; Peshy, Nichy, and Mirel are quite common names, no one makes fun of them. Kids tend to make fun of weird names.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
Nchr; Peshy, Nichy, and Mirel are quite common names, no one makes fun of them. Kids tend to make fun of weird names.

Quite common in YOUR community. I don't even know anybody with those names.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:08 pm
Fsr, she said these names are not common in chassidish circles, which they are actually pretty common.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:34 pm
nchr wrote:
Well put; however, in certain circles uniqueness is more appreciated than others. In Chassidishe circles, where people tend to name after relatives almost entirely, there are so many of the same names, that even when a relative has an unusual name people are critical (I.e. girl's names like Pia, Peshy, Nichy, Mirel, etc. are made fun of because names like Esty, Rivky, Ruchel, Hindy are so common). In other crowds, names are made fun of for sound too frum and people would rather go with a Leviel and make fun of a Sara. I don't think any name I've heard used by a frum person (from MO to ultra Chassidish) is ugly or deserves to be made fun of (most people have a reason they chose a name).

I hear you... but it’s not the same when someone makes up a name.
In this case, some couple in Israel made up a name that sounds rather strange to us. OP, is asking if we like the name. She asked, so we are telling her the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names