Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you get your kids to take baths/showers on Erev Shabb
1  2  Next

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 11:31 am
Every Erev Shabbos is an afternoon-long argument with me and my kids to get them to take their showers! The very little ones are no problem - I run the bath and put them in, but the older ones (8 -12) procrastinate the whole afternoon, and on these short Erev shabbosim it causes me a lot of stress to be repeatedly asking them to take their showers. I've tried incentives and that doesn't work. Anyone have any good tips?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 11:36 am
in these short erev shabbos they take a shower Thursday night, and that's counted as erev shabbos.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 11:42 am
They know they have no choice- there are others waiting for the shower after them. There are always 1 or 2 that I have to remind like 10 times though...

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 11:47 am
During the winter they bathe thursday night
Along with setting the table
And major clean up

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 11:52 am
My 8 year old showers Thursday nights. Today is too short and I cant stress myself out erev shabbos. Showering every other day is the expectation and if hes really cranky about it then we problem solve. Lately its been that hes cold when he gets out so we have the towel and PJS waiting to go. Other days its that he feels it cuts into his reading time so then I may give him a few extra minutes before bed. its all about communication.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:05 pm
Another vote for baths and showers Thursday night, it's too stressful to leave for Friday.
On the short fridays, everything gets done Thursday night, no matter how late it gets. Even of im up till 2 preparing, I never regret it on Friday.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:23 pm
Also I do think some kids need a more direct approach even if it feels mean to me to say it out loud. Something along the lines of if you don't shower you will smell and you will see your friends on shabbos and that is embarassing to you can go a long way. Its not universal but it helps some to stop procrastinating.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:24 pm
Thanks so much for the replies! Wow, can't believe how many people do Thurs night showers. It's a great idea, but it grosses me out. Kids get dirty so quickly, and I don't do baths motzei Shabbos so that would mean waiting from Thurs night until Sunday night.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:25 pm
I have some of them bathe Friday morning before getting dressed for school. They wake up early anyway, so this works for us. I woke up late this morning so it didn't happen. I need to remind them.
I also have a "bribe". My kids are addicted to reading and I go to the library on Fridays to get them books for the week. My policy is no book reading until they are showered for Shabbos and completed their erev Shabbos chores. It works like a charm. Then they could be couch potatoes for the rest of the day.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies! Wow, can't believe how many people do Thurs night showers. It's a great idea, but it grosses me out. Kids get dirty so quickly, and I don't do baths motzei Shabbos so that would mean waiting from Thurs night until Sunday night.

they could always refresh themselves with a wet cloth and soap on Friday, if that helps

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:

Really? How dirty do kids get? I actually think theyre way less dirtier than teens and adults...they dont sweat like we do etc

3 days really isnt so horrifying

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Really? How dirty do kids get? I actually think theyre way less dirtier than teens and adults...they dont sweat like we do etc

3 days really isnt so horrifying

True they don't get dirty in that way. But they play outside, touch dirty things, eat messily, don't wipe as well after toilet, etc

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:41 pm
My little kids still have accidents, are messy eaters etc but my 8 year old really does not get dirty between Thurs night and Friday afternoon. I would try it one week and see how it goes. He either showers before bed motzei shab or sunday before school (it starts a little later then a regular weekday) so he has some time.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 1:10 pm
I have a couple of the younger ones shower Thursday night, others Friday morning, and really only the older ones Friday afternoon. Too much stress otherwise.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 2:27 pm
The one who pushed off the longest got a cold shower this week. Maybe next Friday will go better,

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:54 pm
I let them skip baths/showers Thursday night, which is very exciting for them, and they know they have to take on Friday.

But in general my kids don't mind bathing, so not sure I'm the best to advise.

lucky14

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 7:55 pm
Yes, it may think it's totally gross but they'll survive. It sounds like you're getting too stressed about it and it's just not worth it. This is something I strongly suggest you really think about- is it really worth it? Will your Fridays be calmer if you just let this one go?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:

The short Fridays go hand in hand with long motzei shabbosim. My 12 year old showers Friday afternoon even during the short Fridays (teen hair Smile ) but my little one takes Thursday night. There's plenty of time for a bath on motzei shabbos before bedtime.
Somehow it always works out that the little kids bathe 6x a week. In the summer the night they skip is motzei shabbos and in the winter it's Friday that gets skipped.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:05 pm
I would do a sign up sheet on Thursday night. Everyone can sign up for a slot, which is non negotiable.

DREAMING

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I have some of them bathe Friday morning before getting dressed for school. They wake up early anyway, so this works for us. I woke up late this morning so it didn't happen. I need to remind them.
I also have a "bribe". My kids are addicted to reading and I go to the library on Fridays to get them books for the week. My policy is no book reading until they are showered for Shabbos and completed their erev Shabbos chores. It works like a charm. Then they could be couch potatoes for the rest of the day.

I like this idea!! Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics