Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
American girl
Previous  1  2

Blossom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 10:42 am
Oh yes I've been to the one in Mahnattan. I stepped in while shopping at Saks, it's across the street. Some girls were walking in holding about 3-4 dolls Surprised in such a special handbag.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 10:50 am
Just read this:

http://oneofthosehorriblemoms.......html

Blossom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 10:54 am
I read that a while ago. They say that this lady has never contacted them and this could have very well been made up.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:32 pm
greentiger wrote:
I used to really like American Girls -not the dolls though, the books. They are very educational. The dolls though are really overdone IMO.
Anyone been to the American Girl store in Manhattan where you can get you doll's hair styled?

LOL I've been there, (not the salon) and it was quite funny to see the type of people that come there seriously with their dolls (not the people like me just coming to look for kicks)

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:24 pm
For a fraction of the price, the corolla doll have the most beautiful hair which comes straight from the scalp, not a wig like the American girls dolls.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:30 pm
MahPitom wrote:
For a fraction of the price, the corolla doll have the most beautiful hair which comes straight from the scalp, not a wig like the American girls dolls.

they make wigs with hair coming from a "scalp" too nowadays... 8)

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:32 pm
not that I've seen recently, on the A dolls.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:33 pm
nah, I was just refering to wigs, not dolls LOL

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:29 pm
Excuse me, Greenfire, why do you say that I can't afford it, do you know me because I don't know you?

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Excuse me, Greenfire, why do you say that I can't afford it, do you know me because I don't know you?

um excuse me you ... I never said anybody could or could not afford it ?!?!?!

I was separating the OP from the other poster - as I addressed 2 dif peoples ... but hey Rolling Eyes Confused

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:11 pm
EstiS wrote:
greentiger wrote:
I used to really like American Girls -not the dolls though, the books. They are very educational. The dolls though are really overdone IMO.
Anyone been to the American Girl store in Manhattan where you can get you doll's hair styled?

LOL I've been there, (not the salon) and it was quite funny to see the type of people that come there seriously with their dolls (not the people like me just coming to look for kicks)

Yea, why are psychiatric institutions considered crazy and the ppl who go here normal???

amother

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:27 pm
How old is your daughter? Will she appreciate the AG doll? For my 3 and 6 year old daughters, I bought cute, CHEAP dolls at Rite-Aid. (And by cheap I mean CHEAP - on sale for $4.99!!!) 8)

I got two - in two different colors. My daughters call them "the twins" and LOVE them. They're 18 inches tall, with long blond braids, removeable dresses, soft bodies... in other words, they're perfect. And did I mention cheap? Very Happy

I have not a care in the world when my daughters drag the dolls around the house by their arms or their hair. They can leave them on the floor, under the couch - I just smile.

And when those glossy catalogs with the American Girl doll centerfolds come in the mail.... I trash 'em before anyone can start drooling...

(anonymous because I have shown the dolls off to friends and told them where I got them and how much I paid!)

YALT

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 6:57 am
AG dolls is like the new Cabbage Patch dolls.
When we were growing up, they were treated like real babies.
In fact, when I was in camp in Atlanta, we went to see the Cabbage Patch Hospital. It's a pity I didn't have a camera. They had rooms with real cribs, swings, highchairs, rocking chairs,... Then they had the delivery room.
A "dr." would come in dressed in blue dr's garb. He'd wash ihis hands, put on gloves, a mask, etc... prepare all the utensils on a tray next to the delivery table. THen he'd open the window to the cabbage patch, and choose 1 head of cabbage. Close the window, and start the C/S. snip a few times to remove the outer layers of cabbage, and... voila! a baby was there! Then he'd pretend to wash her up, diaper and clothe her, and then feed her a bottle.
Then he'd open the window to the cabbage patch (all the viewers would stand around the patch to see) and make an announcement that unfortunately, this baby does not have a loving mother,.... if anyone would like to adopt the baby for a fee, it could be arranged at the adoption office at our right.
Is that not ridiculous?
And my cousin called them once saying that her doll wasn't feeling too well. So they told her to send the doll to the hospital for a checkup. Sure enough she got a doctor's bill in the mail, shortly after the doll was allowed to go back home. With real doctor's fees!

So, the AG dolls is the new faze, that became a money-maker to some, and a neccessity to some close-minded rich women.
Of course, the American Dolls do offer insight to history and what's important in life. But don't they teach how girls then, didn't necc. have money, yet were happy? But now, you must have the money for these dolls in order to be happy in this day and age.

Blossom

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 7:09 am
YALT that's a great point.
The difference though is, that American Girl has been around since the 80's (?) and just keeps on growing while the cabbage patch was a passing phase.

Yakira

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 12:39 pm
I remember going on a class trip to Cabbage Patch land and even remember seeing the babies being born there. And this was when I was all of 6 or 7, in the late 80's.

Thanks for the memories, YALT!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 12:44 pm
What is wrong with buying a special present occasionally?

My dd really wants one (she's 5). She knows about it because we get the catalogues in the mail somehow.

She's undergoing a very intensive 4 month OT program now which is very very hard on her. I told her that when she got through the whole program I would take her on a special trip to the American Girl store and get her a doll. It is a really great incentive for her to do what she needs to do without to much whining. Since she knows it is a really special present.

YALT

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 6:36 pm
Blossom,
First of all, I didn't know AG dolls are that old! I first heard about them in the late 90's. I know I wasn't the first person to hear about them, and it's not like we had any girls in between all those years, that I should've heard about them.
But I did have neighbors in '94 who cherished their Cabbage Patch dolls (and they were younger than 10. So it's not like - just bec. those were the dolls passed down.)

The cabbage patch were around for how many years before it faded out?

And now they're back in style.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 7:06 pm
american girls were around before I was married ... and that was the mid 80's

cabbatch patches come in and out - my little dd has a cute cabbatch patch baby boy dolly ...

and why compare apples to oranges ... they are different

a doll can be cherished forever ... unlike technical gadgets that change a minute after you buy them ...

she's a classic doll

Yakira

Post Mon, Dec 03 2007, 7:26 pm
When I got into the AG, there were three dolls and six books each and it was in the early 90s.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries