Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this a normal reaction from Adenoid removal?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 4:21 pm
My 5 year old granddaughter had her adenoids removed & tubes put in her ears Friday morn. She has had many bouts of strep since shes been a toddler and has seen an ENT many times before deciding to go ahead with this procedure. My own son (age 32 now) had tonsils & adenoids removed when he was 3 yrs & again adenoids removed again ( they grew back Confused) when he was about 5 years. So I know & remember what’s involved and recovery for both. For my own son, Adenoids alone was almost no recovery, very little pain & back to school in a couple of days. Tonsils, another story all together.

After shabbos my dd called me. My grand daughter was in awful pain, could not eat or drink, face and chin we’re all swollen, her tongue was hanging out (???). When she took her back to hospital doctor said she had a very bad throat infection, her throat in back was raw & red, she needed to be re hydrated & given antibiotics. my dd has to now feed her with a srynge b/c she can’t swallow. She woke her up in middle of night to feed her b/c she was so worried about her.
I don’t understand this reaction she had. Has anyone else ever witnessed this? Perhaps she should have been given prophylactic antibiotics? Or maybe a reaction to the anesthesia?

Surgery was in lakewood btw (don’t know name of facility) but dd was very very impressed with the care & raved about them!
I’m so baffled about this. Thought maybe some imas here would have some experience with this.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 4:39 pm
That does not sound good. Maybe there was some kind of bacteria that got onto her tonsils during the procedure and it caused an abscess in her tonsil.
My children had tubes and adenoids done and felt back to themselves one day after surgery.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 4:42 pm
she should call the doctor and ask

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:12 pm
Not normal AT ALL

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:31 pm
Op here
She took her back to doctor today.
Said she had infection & started anti biotics
I don’t want to scare my dd unnecessarily at this point. And she DID go back to dr first thing this morning. I myself know this is not normal but what more can she do now?
Probably nothing more than she’s doing.
It’s the craziest thing.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 5:32 pm
Please have her keep an eye on your granddaughter and take her to the hospital if she feels uneasy or unsure at any point.
Grandma, say tehillim in the meantime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics