Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Postpartum freezer meals
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:27 pm
tichellady wrote:
1 sautéed onion
Some nutritional yeast ( optional)
2 spoons of flour ( optional)
6 eggs
1 package cottage cheese
Salt and pepper, garlic powder
squeezed frozen spinach or brocolli or sautéed mushrooms or zuchinni with liquid squeezed out
Cheddar or mozzarella or mix ( I use about 1 cup)

Bake at 350 in greased pan for about 40 minutes

I make mine with a variety of veggies, and sometimes carmelized onions. The last time I made this I didn't have cottage cheese, so I put in 1/3 cup of heavy cream, and added 2 Tablespoons of flour. It came out absolutely amazing.

I get the best results "crustless", when I oil the pan, and then lightly flour it. That way the quiche doesn't stick at all.

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:36 pm
I make a gluten-free crustless quiche. Sautee one chopped onion in a little olive oil, add a chopped bunch of swiss chard, leaves and stems, or a large bunch of fresh spinach, cook till softened but still bright green. Drain if necessary. Add five eggs and 3 cups of shredded cheese, preferably a mixture of mild and salty cheeses (in Israel I use a combination of kashkaval, emek, and parmesan). Add pepper, salt if you want but probably not necessary if you've used salty cheeses, a dash of garlic if you like. Pour into lightly greased pan and bake about 30 minutes, till done.

chelsealew

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:01 pm
Teomima wrote:
I'm surprised to hear you've had trouble with lasagna. That (I fully cook as normal then freeze) and crustless quiche are my go-to freezer meals.

One thing I've made for myself for postpartum that I really appreciated having was single serving meals for myself, not just large amounts for feeding the family. Breakfast burritos and blintzes, individually wrapped and frozen and easy to take out and microwave, were my favorite things I made before having my last baby.

The past times that I've frozen lasagna or baked ziti the noodles tasted weird and mushy. I put veggies in my lasagna, so that might have also contributed to it's failure.
How do you make your breakfast burritos?

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:06 pm
chelsealew wrote:
The past times that I've frozen lasagna or baked ziti the noodles tasted weird and mushy. I put veggies in my lasagna, so that might have also contributed to it's failure.
How do you make your breakfast burritos?

Scrambled eggs, black beans, chopped tomatoes, corn, shredded cheddar, hot sauce...if I'm making it fresh I'll add avocado and/or shredded lettuce, but if I'm freezing it I might add chopped cooked broccoli, just to get something green in there. Sometimes I add home fries (the potatoes freeze fine if I cube them up pretty small before pan frying them) and/or sour cream. I like briefly microwaving the tortilla with the cheese so the bread softens and the cheese melts, then add a bit of everything else, fold and wrap in aluminum. Can be kept in the fridge for several days or toss in the freezer. I make a bunch at a time. Great to have around even when not postpartum so you can always have a quick yet balanced and healthy meal on the go.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics