Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Undescended testicles

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 9:09 pm
My 8 yo son has just been diagnosed with undescended testicles. (Until now the dr had been able to find it but took awhile, now he had more trouble) he sent me to a pediatric urologist, who said he needs a small surgery. After reading up on it, im terrified for his future. It seems that the older a kid is to have this, the more chance of him having fertility problems. The surgery is usually done in a baby.
Does anyone have any experience in this? I have a few questions, but mostly my questions are long term: fertility. Thanks!

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 12:09 am
Is it possible it just turned into a hernia, moved out of place & was in place till now so it wasn't a prob?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:27 am
amother wrote:
My 8 yo son has just been diagnosed with undescended testicles. (Until now the dr had been able to find it but took awhile, now he had more trouble) he sent me to a pediatric urologist, who said he needs a small surgery. After reading up on it, im terrified for his future. It seems that the older a kid is to have this, the more chance of him having fertility problems. The surgery is usually done in a baby.
Does anyone have any experience in this? I have a few questions, but mostly my questions are long term: fertility. Thanks!

DS had a damaged testicle removed and the other one overcompensated. Ask your urologist, don't assume things on your own.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:29 am
dankbar wrote:
Is it possible it just turned into a hernia, moved out of place & was in place till now so it wasn't a prob?

By his 6 yo well visit, the dr had trouble finding it but then did, so he said it sometimes hides at that age. So for the past 2 years it was definitely a little ascending or retracted or whatever. The urologist said it's probably an empty hernial sac over there (whatever that means)

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:30 am
amother wrote:
DS had a damaged testicle removed and the other one overcompensated. Ask your urologist, don't assume things on your own.

I did ask the urologist, and his answer made me nervous. He just said we hope it could turn to normal regular testicles after the surgery. Which is why I googled (sigh:I know you're never supposed to)

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:46 am
Is it both or one?

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:53 am
If it it's a normal testicle just undescended, once it's in place it shouldn't be a prob. If its only one then you still have the normal other one so not doomed but a little harder as you have only one functioning instead of two but not total infertility.

When the problem is at birth it's usually done as a baby. If it was normal till now & just now ascended they dont want it to turn into a hernia, so its a good thing it's taken care of.
A hernia long term that's not tended to can cause infertility. Hopefully if hes being taken care of now, it should avoid problems later.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:55 am
Why was my post deleted? I was trying to help OP with the info

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:58 am
If it it's a normal testicle just undescended, once it's in place it shouldn't be a prob. If its only one then you still have the normal other one so not doomed but a little harder as you have only one functioning instead of two but not total infertility.

When the problem is at birth it's usually done as a baby. If it was normal till now & just now ascended they dont want it to turn into a hernia, so its a good thing it's taken care of.
A hernia long term that's not tended to can cause infertility. Hopefully if hes being taken care of now, it should avoid problems later.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 5:59 am
Tysm dankbar!!! I really appreciate your time and post! Dr said one is undescended amd one seems retracted

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 6:00 am
He should be fine then. Pm me

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 6:20 am
I sent private mess to yael she should fwd to you so you don't have to uncloak your anonymity

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 6:32 am
My son had the surgery when he was 8-9 years old & 2 weeks ago he had a baby girl bh. It is very minor surgery everything will be ok

mom!

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 6:46 am
Hugs OP sounds like a stressful situation! When my son had hernia surgery the surgeon told me one testicle is smaller than the other. My pediatrician was VERY firm that a boy only needs one testicle to be reproductive and as long as one as good I have nothing to worry about.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:14 am
Op here. Tysm everyone!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
Op here. Tysm everyone!

my son had surgery at 9 as well. doing fine bh. we go back for yearly exams at urologist.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 10:36 am
I just took my 3 year old to the urologist after the entire world scared the heck out of me saying that if it's still undescended there are high risk factors etc etc. I was very nervous. The urologist said that he still thinks it might come down by itself and that I should come back in a half a year. And if it's still not down, he would want me to come back again in a half a year. Basically, my little guy won't be a baby anymore and all the you-must-do-the-surgery-when-he's-a-baby hype clearly is not as simple as people make it sound.
IyH your son should grow old and strong and always be healthy!

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 10:46 am
I know someone who had surgery at age 5. No fertility issues

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:40 pm
I have 2 family members they had the surgery when they were babies but bh had nice size families

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 12:22 am
They say there is an increased risk for testicular cancer if it is left a long time.
My baby (hes almost 2) has the same thing as well as an inguinal hernia on the other side. Expert dr says to operate.
Consensus seems to be that if it doesn't come down by around one year, it will never come down on its own. not sure why one poster said their dr still thinks it might come down at age 3-4?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics