Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Croup
1  2  Next

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:08 pm
does anyone have experience with croup? My child got croup for the 3rd time in the past year. went to the doc and they said there's nothing really to do abt it besides going in room with shower or humidifier, etc. but wondering if anyone has experience in maybe knowing how to prevent it.

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:30 pm
Is your child in a daycare? If so, the kids may be passing it around. All it takes is one parent to send in a child while ill, and the cycle will start all over again. The daycare needs to have a STRICT no sick kids rule, and they have to be willing to enforce it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:33 pm
My doctor gave me a steroid, I dont remember what it was called. It is supposed to help keep the airway open and reduce swelling. Baby took it once and got better very quickly after that.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Is your child in a daycare? If so, the kids may be passing it around. All it takes is one parent to send in a child while ill, and the cycle will start all over again. The daycare needs to have a STRICT no sick kids rule, and they have to be willing to enforce it.

yes, he gets it every time there is a change of the weather but it's so nervewracking because his breathing gets affected by it and it's just scary!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
My doctor gave me a steroid, I dont remember what it was called. It is supposed to help keep the airway open and reduce swelling. Baby took it once and got better very quickly after that.

we got that as well but it keeps coming back!

smile18

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:54 pm
Orapred. It saved me several times from going to hospital with son.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:55 pm
smile18 wrote:
Orapred. It saved me several times from going to hospital with son.

can you please explain what that is?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:37 pm
My son had croup so often. He was once on steroids 5 times in 6 months. His croup would also go from no cough to gasping for air in minutes (before the bathroom even steamed up) that we'd call hatzalah each time.
After the 5th round of steroids the doctor suggested we see a pulmonologist. It turned out his whole respiratory system was weak and any change in weather or a cold would throw him for a loop. He's been on asthma meds for a while and rarely gets croup now, and when he does it's mild.

smile18

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:41 pm
amother wrote:
can you please explain what that is?

Orapred is steroids doc prescribes when crouping.
Neither a hot shower nor vitamins helped my son when grasping for air.
I always have it home and give it to him when needed

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:51 pm
Cold air works better than steamy shower for croup. If it’s winter, just take the child outside, otherwise stand in front of open freezer for a few minutes. If child is old enough, tell him to breathe in deeply over and over.

mrsjay

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 7:33 pm
I've used a nebulizer with saline as well which helped tremendously.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:22 pm
My son had it often too, till we finally went to Pulminologist. He also used to get terrible coughs anytime he got a cold. Ended up he had child hood asthma. He’s on preventive medications for asthma and Bh that keeps it under control. Can’t hurt to go to Pulminologist.

gold21

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:27 pm
I've dealt with croup.

Prevention: Make sure the bedroom air is moist, humid, and not overheated (a bit on the chilly side is perfect- give the child a warm blanket). Try a humidifier if you like. Personally, I kept the bedroom window wide open. Every night. The fresh air is very healthy. This really does help. It helps a lot.

Mild case of croup/ caught early: I always kept orapred in the house (oral Prednisone). When an onset of croup is caught early, the correct dose of orapred will take care of the problem. (Mind you, my pediatrician initially kind of pooh poohed my request for a prescription for orapred, saying I should stick with steam showers and skip the meds. Um, no. The first time we dealt with croup, when I had no idea what I was dealing with and therefore was not prepared or knowledgeable about croup at all, my son was rushed with Hatzala to the front of the line in triage, it was that scary. Hatzala members radioed ahead so my son could recieve an injection of steroids as soon as he arrived since they didn't want to waste time placing an IV. Sorry, Doc, but you can stick with steam showers for your kids if that works for you, I'll stock up on steroids. Lol.)

Bad case of croup: Once a case of croup has advanced a bit- child's breathing sounds labored- it's time for a hospital trip. Call Hatzala and go to the hospital, where they can administer the steroids via IV or shot. At the more advanced state, don't bother with orapred. It doesn't work quickly enough and kids will often vomit it back up when the throat is so swelled up anyway. But anyway, at that point, the steroids should be administered directly into the bloodstream, not orally.

Good luck!!

tweety1

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 10:14 pm
Hatzolah told me steam shower for 2 min and immediately run out to cold air (if it's the winter) works very very well. I once bundled up a kid in the freezing winter nights and had him sleep next to open porch door. Cold air is much better for croup than steam.
Dexamethasone works within 20 min usually. It's something I always make sure to have cuz my kids are prone to croup.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 5:15 am
I take back my comment about daycare.

I didn't realize that croup was a form of asthma, and not a contagious disease.

My bad! Confused

(Why did they take away the blushing emoji?)

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:15 am
Croup is not a form of athma and is a contagious virus. However, asthmatic kids have a weaker respiratory system and tend to get croup with every little cold and then some.

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:32 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I take back my comment about daycare.

I didn't realize that croup was a form of asthma, and not a contagious disease.

My bad! Confused

(Why did they take away the blushing emoji?)

I'm actually not sure what croup is. In my experience, some kids are prone to croup and others are not. My son who had croup a number of times from ages 4 through 8 does not have athsma but does have allergies. I had never dealt with croup before him as my oldest child has never had croup.

I'm not sure what croup is, other than that some kids get it and some don't...

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:35 am
amother wrote:
Cold air works better than steamy shower for croup. If it’s winter, just take the child outside, otherwise stand in front of open freezer for a few minutes. If child is old enough, tell him to breathe in deeply over and over.

Totally agree.

Don't bother with a steam shower unless it's really very mild and you have plenty of time to work with, cuz in my experience it doesn't do much. If you're looking to provide relief quickly and effectively, try cold air, preferably cold fresh air from outdoors. This will not work on those really hot summer nights, of course.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:12 am
smile18 wrote:
Orapred is steroids doc prescribes when crouping.
Neither a hot shower nor vitamins helped my son when grasping for air.
I always have it home and give it to him when needed

doctor prescribed ut for you in case he needs it? I don't think my doctor would do that. they're very strict when it comes to steroids

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
doctor prescribed ut for you in case he needs it? I don't think my doctor would do that. they're very strict when it comes to steroids

Do you trust yourself to know when to use it and when not to use it? I do, and I always had orapred in my house. It was not over-used or abused. It was used only when necessary.

When the child needs steroids to open the airways, then the child needs steroids. That's life. Speak to your doctor....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics