Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Croup
Previous  1  2

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:23 am
gold21 wrote:
Do you trust yourself to know when to use it and when not to use it? I do, and I always had orapred in my house. It was not over-used or abused. It was used only when necessary.

When the child needs steroids to open the airways, then the child needs steroids. That's life. Speak to your doctor....

totally agree! I know I'm responsible when to give it but the doctors just don't do that. They're scared

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
totally agree! I know I'm responsible when to give it but the doctors just don't do that. They're scared

I know, my doc gave me a hard time also, saying "bla bla, stick to steam showers, open the window, croup isn't a big deal".... Argh. Made me so upset. Lol. He didn't see my son when he had his first croup attack, which was pretty bad. Hatzala saw him and they thought it was a big deal. The hospital thought it was a big deal. Once I had that terrifying experience, I wanted some measure of control over the situation, and I wanted orapred in my house. (B"H he never had that bad of an episode again. He had croup a number of times but never like that, since we knew what to look & listen for and always caught it early.)

If you do ever get a prescription for orapred, hold onto it until it expires. You would need to find out the correct dosage as the child grows but could probably get that from the pharmacy.

Good Luck!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:34 am
gold21 wrote:
I know, my doc gave me a hard time also, saying "bla bla, stick to steam showers, open the window, croup isn't a big deal".... Argh. Made me so upset. Lol. He didn't see my son when he had his first croup attack, which was pretty bad. Hatzala saw him and they thought it was a big deal. The hospital thought it was a big deal. Once I had that terrifying experience, I wanted some measure of control over the situation, and I wanted orapred in my house. (B"H he never had that bad of an episode again. He had croup a number of times but never like that, since we knew what to look & listen for and always caught it early.)

If you do ever get a prescription for orapred, hold onto it until it expires. You would need to find out the correct dosage as the child grows but could probably get that from the pharmacy.

Good Luck!

did you go to a pulmonologist? my doctor said there is no need but people on here are saying they went..

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
did you go to a pulmonologist? my doctor said there is no need but people on here are saying they went..

No, I never went. My son doesn't have athsma. At this point he has outgrown the croup also. Baruch Hashem! It usually fizzles out around age 8 or 9.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:44 am
gold21 wrote:
No, I never went. My son doesn't have athsma. At this point he has outgrown the croup also. Baruch Hashem! It usually fizzles out around age 8 or 9.

how did you know that it wasn't coming from asthma? my doc said it's not asthma but can't it stem from a mild case? how would I know?

gold21

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
how did you know that it wasn't coming from asthma? my doc said it's not asthma but can't it stem from a mild case? how would I know?

I don't know... I'm sorry I can't help more. Maybe someone else can advise.

I do know that croup is swelling of the airways and throat, not related to the lungs.

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:30 pm
Hi
I don't have ideas for treating croup but as far as prevention. My DS had repeated croup and ear infections such it turns out were BOTH caused by his acid reflux that we didn't detect. The allergist was the one that finally figured it out. Once he was on Prevacid liquid compound (from a compounding pharmacy) and Zantac/ Ranitidine he hardly had either of those issues anymore.
The Prevacid must be on an empty stomach with no food for 30 minutes after either so I give it to him first thing every morning when he is still asleep. But if for some reason the child ate still give it and don't skip any doses.
This may totally not be the case with your child but just want to put this out there.....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics