Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help with Gala Dinner

french mummy

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 4:45 am
I was asked to head a committee for a fundraising dinner. It would mean organise the food the actual appeal and mainly bring in as much as possible.
Any ideas as I am a bit lost as where to start. Scratching Head

Starhavah

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:07 am
french mummy wrote:
I was asked to head a committee for a fundraising dinner. It would mean organise the food the actual appeal and mainly bring in as much as possible.
Any ideas as I am a bit lost as where to start. Scratching Head

Start by forming a committee. What is your time line? Are you going to have a silent auction or chinese auction? A lot of dinners raise most of their money on the auction. What organization is it for? Are you going to have a theme? An honoree? Would the honoree like input into the theme? Are you trying to appeal to only your organization or do you want outsiders to attend? Often you can get outsiders to attend a gala dinner if the food choices are something they can't get elsewhere. For instance, there is no Mexican Kosher resturaunt in Chicago. When my synagogue made a dinner for our outgoing president and his wife, they specifically requested Mexican food, which we did. Many catering houses that do not normally do Mexican, can do it upon request in the US because so many of the kitchen workers are Mexicans. We attracted a lot of people who are not members of the shul since it was a food type that they normally could not get.

Good luck,

Star Havah

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 8:34 am
Just for your information, since you are in the UK, the american style of Chinese Auctions are illegal here (despite the fact that several frum organisations do it). The only way you can do it is either by a) not advertising at all before hand, or b) only charging 1 pound per ticket.

french mummy

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 12:04 pm
Thanks Yong MUmmy, looks like you are from here (UK) would love tog et in touch PM me !

Starhavah

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 2:35 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
Just for your information, since you are in the UK, the american style of Chinese Auctions are illegal here (despite the fact that several frum organisations do it). The only way you can do it is either by a) not advertising at all before hand, or b) only charging 1 pound per ticket.

Wow. I had no idea. Is that because it has elements that are lottery-ish? Can you have a silent auction or a regular auction? Do people in the UK combine gala dinners with fundraising? Do you make ad books? Live and learn.

Hanukkah Sameach everyone (my daughter is so excited she cleaned her room this morning!),

Star Havah

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 6:56 pm
Starhavah wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:

Wow. I had no idea. Is that because it has elements that are lottery-ish? Can you have a silent auction or a regular auction? Do people in the UK combine gala dinners with fundraising? Do you make ad books? Live and learn.

Star Havah

No idea why it's illegal, just know that it is Wink

I have run a couple of fundraising dinners... we raise money through ads, and we have someone make an appeal, and give out pledge cards which people fill in with how much they are giving. And you can do a regular auction - we auctioned pieces of judaica art, or a collectors item.

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 7:13 pm
The easiest is to ask people to make a bunch of mini hors-devours and side dishes and deliver them to you in a 9x13 foil bekela. Then, at the party, keep them heated in those wire things that site over a chemical-flame.

Example menu:

Potato kugel
Mini franks in blanks
Chinese rice
Sesame noodles
Rice with chicken bits & peas & onions.
Etc.

Not hot:

Pasta salada
All kinds of salads
Miniature baked goods
Sliced fruits

Starhavah

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 9:32 pm
MahPitom wrote:
The easiest is to ask people to make a bunch of mini hors-devours and side dishes and deliver them to you in a 9x13 foil bekela. Then, at the party, keep them heated in those wire things that site over a chemical-flame.

Wow. We could never have a dinner in Chicago that wasn't under hasgacha. Doesn't matter if you are the frummest community here. If one bite of food shows up that was baked in someone's house rather than the shul or a kosher resturant, the entire community would go beserk.

Star Havah

MahPitom

Post Sun, Dec 02 2007, 10:03 pm
Ok, then you have to order it from a placeā€¦ but having it like that in buffet style simplifies the prep & serving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics