Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What to expect in Monsey (from BP)
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:01 pm
How is the life in monsey compared to boro park? (Schools -mainstream chasidish-, cost of rent, cost of life, which areas are affordable etc.)

We’re considering moving to monsey in June and we basically have 6 months to research about the area.

We’re looking into monsey because it’s going to be closer to work and more spacious for the kids.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:18 pm
I cannot stress this enough - do not move until you are holding acceptance letters from schools.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:29 pm
I found that everything (clothing, stores, playgroup, babysitters..) is cheaper in Monsey except for the grocery bill. I also used much more taxi's in Monsey since I will not be miserable just to save a few dollars on a taxi. In Boro park I did not feel a need for taxi's. Even with spending a lot on taxis, it's still much much much cheaper to live in Monsey. My brain gets more relaxed when I am in Monsey and when I go back to visit in boro park, can't believe that I used to live in such a place, the noise, the traffic, the pushing....
It is Very difficult to get into schools, even schools that used to be easy to get into 5 years ago. ...
There is also much less therapy for kids available in monsey.
Good Luck!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:32 pm
That’s funny- I find besides housing, everything is more expensive in monsey!! Food is expensive here!
However the quality of life is amazing!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:33 pm
Make sure your kids are accepted into schools BEFORE you make plans.

Monsey itself is overpopulated and traffic is a mess. If you move to the developments , know that you are giving up all your privacy and that neighbors are going to think your bikes and things are Hefker for everyone to use.

The price of food is slightly higher than Brooklyn

It's hard to get from point A to point B if you don't drive. But if you have a car you need to make sure that your landlord provides ample parking space. In the winter you are not allowed to park on the roads at night because of snow plows and often the developments and rentals don't supply parking spaces for two cars.

If you are not very Chasidish or very yeshivish , you may feel out of place.

Just warning you....it's not a bed of roses

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:

Monsey itself is overpopulated and traffic is a mess. If you move to the developments , know that you are giving up all your privacy and that neighbors are going to think your bikes and things are Hefker for everyone to use.

It's hard to get from point A to point B if you don't drive. But if you have a car you need to make sure that your landlord provides ample parking space. In the winter you are not allowed to park on the roads at night because of snow plows and often the developments and rentals don't supply parking spaces for two cars.

I’ve lived in Monsey since the day I was born. This post is very accurate, sadly.

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
I found that everything (clothing, stores, playgroup, babysitters..) is cheaper in Monsey except for the grocery bill. I also used much more taxi's in Monsey since I will not be miserable just to save a few dollars on a taxi. In Boro park I did not feel a need for taxi's. Even with spending a lot on taxis, it's still much much much cheaper to live in Monsey. My brain gets more relaxed when I am in Monsey and when I go back to visit in boro park, can't believe that I used to live in such a place, the noise, the traffic, the pushing....
It is Very difficult to get into schools, even schools that used to be easy to get into 5 years ago. ...
There is also much less therapy for kids available in monsey.
Good Luck!

What are the rates for playgroups and babysitting?

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:29 pm
I absolutely love monsey. it was the best move I made in my life!

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks for the answer. What do you mean by “If you are not very Chasidish or very yeshivish , you may feel out of place.”

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:45 pm
Everything is more expensive in Monsey, except for housing. Traffic is horrendous, years ago it took me 4 minutes to get to the grocery, now it takes me at least 15 minutes. Main Monsey is very overcrowded. The only place u'll have quiet is in the surrounding neighborhoods, (where you're kids wont get school transportation.) And its murder getting accepted into schools.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:45 pm
11213 wrote:
Thanks for the answer. What do you mean by “If you are not very Chasidish or very yeshivish , you may feel out of place.”

It's very black and white. A Bais Yaakov girl married to a guy with a shtreimel feels out of place in the center of Monsey. It's either you are super Chasidish, talk Yiddish , cover sheitel, don't drive or your DH learns in kollel full time , and you are yeshivish. I didn't feel that black and white divide when I lived in BP. But times have changed everywhere and maybe BP is the same extreme black and white the way Monsey is, today. I live in Monsey close to 20 years.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:54 pm
Are you planning on moving to Main Monsey or to one of the towns in the outskirts?

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
Are you planning on moving to Main Monsey or to one of the towns in the outskirts?

We are looking into the outskirts and I would love to hear more about the few areas around monsey.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:56 pm
Amother amethyst, your statement is just not true. Monsey is a beautiful mix of all types of people, from very chassidish to very yeshivish and everything in between. On my street alone we have a great blend of all types.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:58 pm
11213 wrote:
We are looking into the outskirts and I would love to hear more about the few areas around monsey.

The outskirts have different crowds as opposed to center of Monsey.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
Amother amethyst, your statement is just not true. Monsey is a beautiful mix of all types of people, from very chassidish to very yeshivish and everything in between. On my street alone we have a great blend of all types.
In what area?

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:11 pm
We live in Spring Valley. But in all areas you'll find all types more or less. Besides for the areas where many people of one chassidus live like Viznits or Satmer area.

momsrus

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:19 pm
Expect a lot of school days off for snow. Much more than bp.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
It's very black and white. A Bais Yaakov girl married to a guy with a shtreimel feels out of place in the center of Monsey. It's either you are super Chasidish, talk Yiddish , cover sheitel, don't drive or your DH learns in kollel full time , and you are yeshivish. I didn't feel that black and white divide when I lived in BP. But times have changed everywhere and maybe BP is the same extreme black and white the way Monsey is, today. I live in Monsey close to 20 years.

I live in main Monsey. our block consists of litvish' chasidish' yekish and yeshivish. thats the beauty of Monsey.

momsrus

Post Tue, Dec 18 2018, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
We live in Spring Valley. But in all areas you'll find all types more or less. Besides for the areas where many people of one chassidus live like Viznits or Satmer area.

It used to be that Monsey was made up of the very chassidish and very modern. Today theee are so many people moving there, you can’t really say that anymore.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating