Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
NOW ITs PERTUSSIS
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:50 am
I just got the CDC report that as of yesterday there were 30 reports of Pertussis in Rockland County, 11 in Brooklyn ALL UNVACCINATED children.

ENOUGH! shame on all you anti - vaxers. Poor children. And HUGE chillul Hashem in all Department of Health and medical world.

just move to an Island if you choose to put others at risk. PLEASE.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:07 am
It was worse last year.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:07 am
I had pertussis when I was 9, and it was one of the scariest things I've ever been through. With each attempt to breathe, it felt like my lungs were collapsing, and I couldn't get them inflated again.

DD had a reaction to the pertussis vaccine, and the doctor said not to give her any more until she was older. He also insisted that she not be in any groups of children like Mommy and Me, daycare, preschool, or Head Start. She basically had to stay home until she was 5, and could get her last booster shot (and she still ran a fever.)

My DD missed all of her early childhood education, because a bunch of hippy granola parents decided not to vaccinate. Pertussis was a raging epidemic in Seattle at that time, and the non vaxxing parents treated it like "just a bad cold".

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Go find an island! I hear this one is nice. https://allthatsinteresting.com/snake-island

You probably don't believe in anti-venom too, because, Big Pharma. Just take some vitamin C and you'll be fine.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:10 am
This has been going on for a few years now in Rockland.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:16 am
This has gone on in my area too. I read an interesting article in forbes that explains it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/t.....f62f4

I am in the Chicago area and have seen outbreaks over the past decade primiarly with teens so I think this article is pretty accurate.

momsrus

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:33 am
It’s not an outbreak. This happens every year.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:41 am
Actually, pertussis has always been known to wax and wane regardless of population vaccination, you just have to hope that the vaccines protect you and your family. Measles, on the other hand, is much more dependent on herd immunity and it's easier to observe when non-vaxers spread it around places that were previously unaffected.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:31 pm
I personally know two kids who got pertussis months ago before measles was even in the news. Mom kept them home, gave them abx, they went back to school after 3 weeks or whatever per CDC guidelines. No big deal, seriously. Calm down.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
I personally know two kids who got pertussis months ago before measles was even in the news. Mom kept them home, gave them abx, they went back to school after 3 weeks or whatever per CDC guidelines. No big deal, seriously. Calm down.

How old were the kids? If they were otherwise healthy they would recover quickly, but you do have to be careful of "silent carriers".

The biggest problem is with babies, and anyone who has lung problems like COPD or asthma.

A friend of mine had newborn twins, and her DH was a silent carrier. The babies ended up in the NICU for 8 weeks, and the entire family had to go on antibiotics to make sure that the infection was really gone.

tweety1

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 1:58 pm
Pertussis was terrible a few yrs ago. One of my kids had it. It was beyond scary. I remember the nurse telling me "hey calm down this is a mild case" and I was like " a mild case??? That's what you call mild??" And her response was that I can go to the icu visit a patient of theirs who hasn't gotten the shot and then I'll see that my kid is mild.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:

How is being home for 3 weeks not a big deal?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:02 pm
All this talk about "silent carriers" one should realize is that it's due to vaccinated individuals catching pertussis but being asymptomatic or less symptomatic and therefore not being treated properly. They are the ones more likely to spread it. So when you vaccinate, it's for your own benefit, but don't make this into a herd immunity issue and blame anti-vaxers. The studies have shown this is not something we can rely on herd immunity for.
The vaccine is not effective at stopping it from spreading.

penguin

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:19 pm
If pertussis can be treated with antibiotics, why is it a big deal?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:23 pm
A private lab in Italy just tested a batch of infarix for chemical composition. Here are the results. But keep trusting your doctors, everyone. https://www.corvelva.it/specia.....BOoMY

this is the actual study https://drive.google.com/file/...../view

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
All this talk about "silent carriers" one should realize is that it's due to vaccinated individuals catching pertussis but being asymptomatic or less symptomatic and therefore not being treated properly. They are the ones more likely to spread it. So when you vaccinate, it's for your own benefit, but don't make this into a herd immunity issue and blame anti-vaxers. The studies have shown this is not something we can rely on herd immunity for.

You have it partially right. Silent carriers are vaccinated, get mild or no symptoms, and can pass the illness to others just as easily as a symptomatic person would.

But here's the thing - who is the silent carrier catching pertussis from? Either from other silent carriers, or from other unvaccinated people.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:01 pm
penguin wrote:

Because babies can die from it. They can cough so much that they literally can't breathe. Antibiotics don't work fast enough to prevent that.

thegiver

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:03 pm
My parents grew up in a place where the non jews regarded the jews as dirty. I know u think u r protecting ur child but it is doing more harm than good. I see it as a chillul Hashem to not vaccinate and it is a jewish obligation to vaccinate bec it says in the torah “you shall surely guard your life”. It is a chillul Hashem when non jews see that jewish areas breed illness God forbid. I now avoid going to non-jewish places if my child has a cold.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Huh??

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:09 pm
Are you serious, penguin? Would you ask If pneumonia can be treated with antibiotics, why is it a big deall?

Because until it’s correctly diagnosed and treatment begins, the patient suffers. And spreads infection. And the very young or very old or immunocompromised or otherwise not in good health can DIE, that’s why.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:21 pm
penguin wrote:

From interactions with you on the issue of vaccinations, I have inferred that you are not necessarily a proponent of vaccines.

I therefore ask- have you not educated your yourself on the various vaccine-preventable diseases such as pertussis?

Antibiotics does not cure pertussis the same way it cures strep and ear infections. It can help alleviate symptoms but it's not a cure.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics