Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
ISO great Nutritionist in flatbush for 12 yo DD
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 8:48 am
Can anyone recommend a great nutritionist to work with a 12 year old who would like to lose weight, Flatbush preferred?
Any recommendations appreciated..Ty!

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:01 am
Beth Warren is good

But please don't put your dd on a diet. You can encourage her to choose less processed foods and to try to move around more (maybe sign her up for a fun exercise/gymnastics class). Studies have shown that putting children on diets leads to long term eating disorders. The AAP does not recommend it. I have seen in my own life, the kids who were put on diet had life long eating issues and the ones who weren't many times managed to lose weight and keep it off as an adult.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:49 am
She asked me to find someone to help her lose weight...I did not tell her she has to lose weight, if she wants to be on a diet, why cant she??

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:00 am
Firstly, you sounds like a good, loving mom and I don't doubt you just want to help your dd. It was pretty clear the dieting idea came from her.

However, I think you should explain to her that now her body is growing and it's not good for her to restrict herself from food and diet. Many kids chunk up before hitting puberty (I have no idea if this is the case for her). You can tell her that foods that are closer to the way Hashem made them (brown rice, eggs, fresh fruits and veggies etc.) and better for your body and if she wants, she can try to eat more of those foods and less of the more processed foods. You can also sign her up for a dance/gymnastics etc class and explain to her that it's good for her body to move around and today most kids don't move around enough. Do not connect exercise with weight loss and do not encourage her to restrict her eating.

I have no idea what the junk situation is like in your house but you can try buying less of that (For the whole family) since it isn't good for anyone's bodies.

Hatzlacha to you and your dd!

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
She asked me to find someone to help her lose weight...I did not tell her she has to lose weight, if she wants to be on a diet, why cant she??

because she's 12. she should not be dieting already at this age. it will destroy her metabolism for life. have her eat more fruit and vegetables and healthier snacks. maybe sign her up for swimming or dance class.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:38 pm
amother wrote:
because she's 12. she should not be dieting already at this age. it will destroy her metabolism for life. have her eat more fruit and vegetables and healthier snacks. maybe sign her up for swimming or dance class.

We don't know how heavy OP's daughter is. I think the best advice is ask your pediatrition if he thinks this is a good idea based on your daughter's health. If he thinks it is, I am sure he could reccomend someone. Many nutritionists have started working together with pediatritions in the same office because of the childhood obesity epidemic.

I would hesitate to reccomend beth warren. She gives very little individual attention. Her plan may work for adults who are highly motivated but I can't see it being successful for a 12 year old.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:40 pm
Amother coffee I strongly disagree. A 12 yo should not be on any diet. Period.

Here's why the AAP doesn't recommend it either: https://www.aap.org/en-us/abou......aspx

Last edited by Sebastian on Wed, Dec 19 2018, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:42 pm
+1 (718) 564-0800- Laura

I’ve used her for myself however I’ve seen younger children in the waiting area. Goodluck!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 12:55 pm
amother wrote:
+1 (718) 564-0800- Laura

I’ve used her for myself however I’ve seen younger children in the waiting area. Goodluck!

Where is she located? Does she accept insurance?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 1:00 pm
OP here

Thanks all for your opinions. I came here to find a nutritionist, not to ask if you think my daughter should see one. For those that are very concerned, I am following my pediatricians suggestion. Smile I am looking for someone in the frum community who can best relate to a 12 year old. If you have any names, please post them here. Ty

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 2:13 pm
Miriam Turk is great and balanced good with teenagers
(718) 755-3140

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 2:27 pm
OP my only suggestion is to stay away from anyone who isn't an RD. It may also be good to meet her yourself for one or two sessions privately to see how you can best prepare meals, purchase snacks etc for your dd.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
Where is she located? Does she accept insurance?

If this is Laura Shammah, she's good but I'm not sure that she accepts insurance. She isn't cheap.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 3:40 pm
I posted about Laura. It’s Laura P. ( I think Italian, but works with tons of Jews. I can’t remember the exact name now. ) she’s located on avenue U and like 7/8. She also sees people on 5towns few days a week. She may take insurance, I paid out of pocket. She has a pretty good deal though. She texts as well if you want to ask her.

Edited to add: I think it’s Laura Principe- something like that

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 4:27 pm
amother wrote:
OP here

Thanks all for your opinions. I came here to find a nutritionist, not to ask if you think my daughter should see one. For those that are very concerned, I am following my pediatricians suggestion. Smile I am looking for someone in the frum community who can best relate to a 12 year old. If you have any names, please post them here. Ty

I am sorry everyone jumped on you! I know how you feel. I am in the same boat as you.

I reiterate that I don't reccomend beth warren. She had zero success with my 12 year old daughter.

If you are open to switching pcp's Dr Norowitz has a nutritionist on staff for his patients only. It is completely covered by your insurance because it is billed as a Dr's appointment.

Her name is shira and my daughter really likes her. She is really nice.

His office is located on e. 8th and ditmas.

For all the other posters who were jumping up and down about putting a 12 year old on a diet:

Going to an RD is not putting your child on a diet. They work together with you to build a balanced meal plan and encourage adding exercise in your day. That's it!

Librarian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 4:50 pm
Dr. Mark Houllif 7189347806 The BEST

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:17 pm
Librarian wrote:
Dr. Mark Houllif 7189347806 The BEST

I know someone who used him as a child and I did not hear good things.

Op, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I'm just close to someone who was put on diets from a young age and now has a very hard time keeping weight off.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:32 pm
A "diet" doesn't have to be restrictive! A great nutritionist can help clients understand the science behind food and health. Giving a 12 year old the knowledge to make healthy food choices is empowering, especially as she is requesting it. I think it's great that she's motivated to make changes, and the right nutritionist will hopefully have a positive impact on her health.

That said, I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with nutritionists in Flatbush.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
A "diet" doesn't have to be restrictive! A great nutritionist can help clients understand the science behind food and health. Giving a 12 year old the knowledge to make healthy food choices is empowering, especially as she is requesting it. I think it's great that she's motivated to make changes, and the right nutritionist will hopefully have a positive impact on her health.

That said, I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with nutritionists in Flatbush.

(Ignore me OP)

A 12 yo isn't shopping and cooking her own food. In many cases, if the parent makes changes at home that could be enough. A diet by nature is restrictive and studies have shown that dieting as child/teen can cause disordered eating when older. I've linked to the AAP's statement above.

I had a classmate as well as relatives that were put on diets as children. They lost weight originally but it came back. Now as adults, they struggle with their weight. And they mostly did "healthy" diets like weight watchers (we're talking 15-20 years ago).
OTOH, I know people that were very overweight as children but never dieted or restricted their eating and as adults they were able to lose the weight fairly easily and keep it off.

momsrus

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 5:59 pm
Sebastian wrote:
(Ignore me OP)

A 12 yo isn't shopping and cooking her own food. In many cases, if the parent makes changes at home that could be enough. A diet by nature is restrictive and studies have shown that dieting as child/teen can cause disordered eating when older. I've linked to the AAP's statement above.

I had a classmate as well as relatives that were put on diets as children. They lost weight originally but it came back. Now as adults, they struggle with their weight. And they mostly did "healthy" diets like weight watchers (we're talking 15-20 years ago).
OTOH, I know people that were very overweight as children but never dieted or restricted their eating and as adults they were able to lose the weight fairly easily and keep it off.

My friend went on weight watchers as a 12 year old. She kept the weight off for good and it’s not a huge struggle for her at this point. So I think it can go both ways.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children