Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Stove cleaning frustrations

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:07 pm
Purchased new house and previous owner did not keep kosher. Gas stove with three grates on it. I'm trying to clean everything and there is grease that is refusing to come up. On the stove top itself and on the grates. I'm going to be putting the grates in the self-clean oven- do the need to be perfectly 100% clean before I do that (for kashrus purposes)?

How do I get ALL of the grease off of the stove top itself? Stove manual says to ONLY use soap and warm water and I'm worried about ruining the whole thing by trying anything else. Is it necessary to get it all up? How do you do this without getting super stressed out?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:21 pm
You're better off not putting the grates in on self clean if you want to maintain the finish and not have a hard time placing the grates in and out on the tracks within the oven.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:23 pm
Here are clear simple instructions.
The processes are relatively simple but be ready to spend time on this project and use a strong arm.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47531

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You're better off not putting the grates in on self clean if you want to maintain the finish and not have a hard time placing the grates in and out on the tracks within the oven.

then how do I make them kosher? They are the ones that cover the entire stove top btw, not just over the burners (there are 3 of them).

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Here are clear simple instructions.
The processes are relatively simple but be ready to spend time on this project and use a strong arm.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47531

Thanks, the grates are way too big to fit in baggies. And I considered barkeepers friend for the stovetop but worried it may do damage (chip of whatever paint or finish is on there)- have you ever had this happen? The manual online says very clearly- on bold- multiple times- not to clean it with anything other than soap and water.

cm

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:28 pm
A steam cleaner is good for deep-cleaning a stovetop, and ammonia is the way to go for grease removal.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, the grates are way too big to fit in baggies. And I considered barkeepers friend for the stovetop but worried it may do damage (chip of whatever paint or finish is on there)- have you ever had this happen? The manual online says very clearly- on bold- multiple times- not to clean it with anything other than soap and water.

It won't chip. The soft cleanser works beautifully on stainless, enamel, porcelain. Does a beautiful job. But will need a few tries if gunked on.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
then how do I make them kosher? They are the ones that cover the entire stove top btw, not just over the burners (there are 3 of them).

Can you post a link of what you're referring to? Burners themselves don't need to be kashered. They get kashered every time the flame is turned on beneath them. I have 3 grates that cover the full top surface and hold 5 burners beneath them.

As for the enamel stovetop, it will surely ruin in the oven and won't necessarily be kashered anyway. Call a rav and find out if it's kasherable.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 11:56 pm
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kit.....77QF/
(not the exact stove but very very close)

how do you fit those grates in plastic bags?

I will try the barkeepers friend on the stove top itself.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:39 am
amother wrote:
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Ranges/Gas-Range/FPGF3077QF/
(not the exact stove but very very close)

how do you fit those grates in plastic bags?

I will try the barkeepers friend on the stove top itself.

You can put the grates into garbage bags and seal with twist ties and let it sit outside for 8 hours or buy the clothes storage Ziploc bags and do the same.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:42 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can put the grates into garbage bags and seal with twist ties and let it sit outside for 8 hours or buy the clothes storage Ziploc bags and do the same.

But don't I still need to burn it or whatever after to make it kosher? (Putting in oven on self-clean or extreme high heat?)

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
But don't I still need to burn it or whatever after to make it kosher? (Putting in oven on self-clean or extreme high heat?)

Speak to your LOR. I was told no need when using a treif stove (on vacation) and yes when using a year round kosher stove for pesach (which is why we bought an extra set of grates for pesach).

When we used to kasher our grates for pesach, we did it over the burners, with a brick on top to make it hot enough to glow. They still discolored. But we didn't put them in the oven, because we saw what happened to them.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 6:57 am
Btw if you're having a hard time with the grease and just want it done already and willing to use chemicals, put on elbow length gloves and a surgical mask and go outside (as long as it's not windy). Spray all oven pieces up with St Moritz. Seal in a garbage bag for an hour. Remove and scrub everything off. Be careful to stay covered - it can cause caustic burns.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions