Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Food stamps fur coats and jewelry
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:24 pm
It looks funny see the ladies I won’t say which neighborhood paying a big grocery bill with food stamps and theyre wearing fur and jewels.

https://www.vosizneias.com/312.....ange/

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:32 pm
With their bugaboo strollers... yu yu it's an old story!
To be fair, the coats and jewelry might be fake.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:33 pm
You mean they should sell their fur and jewels to pay for other things? I would assume they're gifts from parents or other wealthy relatives.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:39 pm
I'm not sure what rules could be in place to prevent this scenario. Often times a couple is legitimately below income and eligible. They also receive gifts from family. How can you stop this?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:48 pm
Welfare is a lifestyle for some people.
Subsidized housing (section 8), medical insurance, food stamps, WIC and other assistance with no intent of ever becoming independent.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:00 pm
It's not just one neighborhood. I don't begrudge people their kallah jewelry but imho it's incredibly stupid and makes a terrible impression to be flashing your bling when you're on food stamps. You're just begging for nasty comments, even if your bling is 100% cz.

We all know that sometimes people who were well off suffer reverses, even serious enough to have to resort to handouts. It happens. But for gosh sakes, don't go swanning around flashing your luxury goods and using food stamps. You don't have to go around dressed like a pauper but use a little common sense and tone it down, willya?

I once had a lady come schnorring for herself, wearing a fur coat. It may have been a thrift-shop find, a fake, a relic from more prosperous days, or a handout from the annual Coats for the Needy charity drive, but geez louise! What's the matter with you? Why should I give to someone who's got a fur coat? I don't have a fur coat myself.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:01 pm
I am sorry, this is a little offensive. I know many families who rely on government programs as part of their "lifestyle" with no chance of financial independence, at least until the kids grow up. Most of them are quite hard working and live extremely frugal lifestyles. There are a few who have the metzia finding savvy and talent to put together elegant wardrobes for pennies. Even fewer are those unfortunately unscrupulous people who have income off the books.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:20 pm
Don’t judge and focus on yourself and you will be happier

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:30 pm
Dumb thread! What is the point of this? More hate and loshon horah? Go change yourself before you try and change others. You are far from perfect. Banging head

itsmeima

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:33 pm
What frustrates me a lot more are people who choose to forget that they too were once on government programs ( food, housing, health care etc).

Last edited by itsmeima on Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:39 pm
Someone wrote to Rabbi Lapin, who has a blog, asking if it is wrong to slack off occasionally from work and collect benefits. He told them to open a phone book and explain to the random people there, whose taxes are paying for the benefits why they will have to be without some things in order to pay taxes for the benefits. Nobody wants to see anyone go hungry but it's not fair to tax people to help those who can afford food but would rather have something else.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:42 pm
itsmeima wrote:
What frustrates me a lot more are people who choose to forget that the government helped them (with food, housing, health care etc) for years...

What frustrates me more is whole communities that work off the books and collect government benifits but have lots of money to spend on luxuries. It's a way of life.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:49 pm
Lemme be blunt so you can understand.
We have very low income, we can barely scrap together some money to buy the minimum and afford the basics. My wardrobe consists from thrift shops or walmart. Bh I have a knack for finding nice metzias and dressing up well. With cheap walmart makeup , a sweet smile, outfitting myself in a neat way so I don't go out looking like a pauper. I even found a faux fur winter jacket (not in best condition).
I do wear $1-$5 jewelry I find in thrift shops so I feel good with myself. My motto is- if you look good, you feel good.
So please don't judge me when you see me purchasing with F.S., You never really know... I dont want to see

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
Lemme be blunt so you can understand.
We have very low income, we can barely scrap together some money to buy the minimum and afford the basics. My wardrobe consists from thrift shops or walmart. Bh I have a knack for finding nice metzias and dressing up well. With cheap walmart makeup , a sweet smile, outfitting myself in a neat way so I don't go out looking like a pauper. I even found a faux winter jacket (not in best condition).
I do wear $1-$5 jewelry I find in thrift shops so I feel good with myself. My motto is- if you look good, you feel good.
So please don't judge me when you see me purchasing with F.S., You never really know... I dont want to see

I am not sure why anyone would buy diamonds and furs if the Walmart fakes look just the same.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
What frustrates me more is whole communities that work off the books and collect government benifits but have lots of money to spend on luxuries. It's a way of life.

Just a note.. not defending but rather clarifying
1. Ita sociocultural
2. These communities lack of using other services such as Medicaid for the blind and disabled, jails, family court, community college, ans public school etc. Versus the property and sales tax results in a huge net benefit to the state and all other municipalities and other taxpayers. Many studies have been done on this
3. Many ppl who use Medicaid and Section 8 do not use foodstamps because there is an inyan of giving children food you purchased with earned money

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:02 pm
Um, I looked obviously Frum, I don't look very put together, but I do wear my diamond Yichud room earrings all the time. And you may see me at the grocery store using food stamps. Oh and if you are nosy enough you will see some Treif items in my basket. And if you are being even more nosey you will see that I pay with a SNAP card.

I am not shopping for myself. I am a service coordinator for a number of low income people who are disabled and many are homebound. I actually bring them food so that they can survive, as they don't have a family support system to do that for them. I go to food pantries on their behalf when their SNAP benefits don't cover everything and they need to eat.

Just another perspective and reason to be Dan Lekaf Zechus!

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:13 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
Um, I looked obviously Frum, I don't look very put together, but I do wear my diamond Yichud room earrings all the time. And you may see me at the grocery store using food stamps. Oh and if you are nosy enough you will see some Treif items in my basket. And if you are being even more nosey you will see that I pay with a SNAP card.

I am not shopping for myself. I am a service coordinator for a number of low income people who are disabled and many are homebound. I actually bring them food so that they can survive, as they don't have a family support system to do that for them. I go to food pantries on their behalf when their SNAP benefits don't cover everything and they need to eat.

Just another perspective and reason to be Dan Lekaf Zechus!

I would imagine that you are wearing some type of work ID so that it doesn't appear that a frum Jews buys treif.

Because of the way that the frum community as a whole uses benefits, we now have to fight for the chinuch of our children.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:17 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would imagine that you are wearing some type of work ID so that it doesn't appear that a frum Jews buys treif.

Because of the way that the frum community as a whole uses benefits, we now have to fight for the chinuch of our children.

Why should I wear a work ID to go to the grocery store? I only wear one where it is needed. I tend to shop in stores that Frum people don't go to, but on occasion I have seen a Frum person and explained that thus isn't for me.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
Just a note.. not defending but rather clarifying
1. Ita sociocultural
2. These communities lack of using other services such as Medicaid for the blind and disabled, jails, family court, community college, ans public school etc. Versus the property and sales tax results in a huge net benefit to the state and all other municipalities and other taxpayers. Many studies have been done on this
3. Many ppl who use Medicaid and Section 8 do not use foodstamps because there is an inyan of giving children food you purchased with earned money

Show one study to back up that they don't use Medicaid for the blind and disabled. The disabled are often educated at private schools at great cost to the government. The community is very good at grant writing to get all services available for the disabled which they should. They do use family courts even if they if they first go through a bais din. Jails house many frum people who get their kosher food at a greater expense than regular jail food.

I don't know what community you are saying they don't use food stamps, but stand by the register at the frum grocery store, and you will see people using food stamp benefit cards. You will also often see individuals using multiple cards.

In KJ more than 60% of all households receive food stamps with 93% on medicaid.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:21 pm
Please, do you think mothers on food stamps are slacking off? Not every mother is capable of earning adequate salary while raising kids without a nervous breakdown
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics