Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why are chasidishe weddings so expensive?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:24 pm
Why can’t we successfully implement rules to lower the costs of weddings.

Simple example: instead of receiving so much jewelry, the Kallah should get a bracelet and a ring. Or instead of buying a silver menorah, start off with a cheaper kind. There are so many expenses that don’t begin to make sense but we do them because that’s how things work.

How do we stop this cycle.

yersp

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 11:58 pm
I absolutely agree with you, however, I think you should move this thread to the chassidishe velt.
The predictor for future behavior is past relevant behavior and I can see how this thread will get out of control.

Best wishes for normal respectful responses

Aylat

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 2:27 am
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
-Gandhi

pesek zman

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 5:36 am
Interestingly you’re not referring to wedding Costs with your examples, but rather the requisite gifts

Cmon be nice

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 6:44 am
Some chassidic groups have already instituted rules for these kind of things

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:33 am
pesek zman wrote:
Interestingly you’re not referring to wedding Costs with your examples, but rather the requisite gifts

This. In my experience, in certain non-chassidic circles, the wedding itself is way more lavish than the typical chassidish wedding. Pre-wedding gifts are another story.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:43 am
The wedding itself, chassidish weddings are cheaper than non chassidish.
Satmer has implemented takanos and if you want to use their halls you must abide to the takanos.

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
The wedding itself, chassidish weddings are cheaper than non chassidish.
Satmer has implemented takanos and if you want to use their halls you must abide to the takanos.

I alwsys wondered about this. Are people 100% of the time so honest that they dont cheat when no one is looking? Who would know if a gift is given that isnt part of the takanos?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 7:49 am
I dont know how they know, but if they do find out, they have to pay a heavy knas.

crust

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:04 am
watergirl wrote:
I alwsys wondered about this. Are people 100% of the time so honest that they dont cheat when no one is looking? Who would know if a gift is given that isnt part of the takanos?

As with any good thing, I assume its everyone's choice if they want to make good use of it.

I was recently at a wedding in one of the takanos halls. You can't really fool that one.

There is a DJ system with prerecorded music so no musician and no singer (the DJ was horrible. I personally love nice music so I think its a real sacrifice to not have that)

Photographer is only (amateurs) through them (this wedding didn't even have the photographer)

Only a regular meal no shmorg etc.

I'm not sure a person that makes such a wedding is very interested in fooling the system by giving more gifts etc than absolutely needed.

crust

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
I dont know how they know, but if they do find out, they have to pay a heavy knas.

I never knew this. Do you mind to explain? If who finds out what? Which chassidus?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:10 am
These are tekanos by satmer. Every hall has takanos, if you want to use their hall you must follow the tekanos. I guess if the hall manager finds out that you're not following, you get a knas.

watergirl

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:11 am
crust wrote:
As with any good thing, I assume its everyone's choice if they want to make good use of it.

I was recently at a wedding in one of the takanos halls. You can't really fool that one.

There is a DJ system with prerecorded music so no musician and no singer (the DJ was horrible. I personally love nice music so I think its a real sacrifice to not have that)

Photographer is only (amateurs) through them (this wedding didn't even have the photographer)

Only a regular meal no shmorg etc.

I'm not sure a person that makes such a wedding is very interested in fooling the system by giving more gifts etc than absolutely needed.

But who would know if gifts were given that arent on the takana list?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:12 am
Many many many cheap ones, including with takkanos I personally don't see how people keep, but bh they do.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 8:26 am
We made a takana wedding. Not chassidish. If we were to use real flowers, we would need tp pay an extra $1000 to the hall on top of the florist.
We were happy to use the silk.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 9:43 am
I don't know if it's by all chassidim, or certain ones, but by rebbish families, the kallah wears a headpice type of thing that costs 1,000+ just for weddng night!!! I cannot understand how people afford that.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
These are tekanos by satmer. Every hall has takanos, if you want to use their hall you must follow the tekanos. I guess if the hall manager finds out that you're not following, you get a knas.

This is only for the wedding itself.
Like if it ends past a certain time it's 1k every half hour

My parents, who were already retired, married off 3 children in a 1.5 year span. 2 dangers and a son. And followed the tekanos to the letter. And they didn't go into debt.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 10:13 am
Tzutzie wrote:
This is only for the wedding itself.
Like if it ends past a certain time it's 1k every half hour

My parents, who were already retired, married off 3 children in a 1.5 year span. 2 dangers and a son. And followed the tekanos to the letter. And they didn't go into debt.

LOL

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 10:25 am
amother wrote:
I don't know if it's by all chassidim, or certain ones, but by rebbish families, the kallah wears a headpice type of thing that costs 1,000+ just for weddng night!!! I cannot understand how people afford that.

Yeah. I’m chasidish and NEVER heard of it. Mine came with the gown. It costed $0.00. Nice try LOL

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Dec 21 2018, 10:28 am
crust wrote:

This this this.

I was having this argument with my sister. Satmar is revisiting the whole tekanos thing and wants to revise it. Like a max to pay for dresses and stuff like that.
I was really upset about that.
For people who want to spend more, they will anyway find a way to trow money at weddings, Sheva bruchas bar mitzvah, bris, upsheren, kiddush.... whatever.
(My nieces parents made an extravagant ladies kiddush for her first granddaughter.
She bought $250 flowers and put a note onto it as if my nephew baught it. My assumption is it costed at least 20k. It was beyond lavish and elaborate. I have never before seen anything like it. It looked like the 5M$ wedding pictures you see on Instagram. Some poeple are crazy)

For myself, I'd like to spend more on certain things and less on others. I do not need someone to tell me where I can spend this amount of $$ and that amount of $$.

Someone likes nice dresses, others flowers and a third likes live music.

Stupid poeple will be stupid.

You can't feed someone 'seichel'
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics