Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Computer in living room or bedroom ?

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:37 pm
I am moving to a new apartment and I'm conflicted about where to set up a desk with a computer. I use it for work and my kids watch shows on it. It has always been in my bedroom because I don't think it looks nice to have it in full view in a living room when people come over. However, the new place has a bigger living room with more room for a computer. I like the idea of the kids watching in the living room instead of being in my bedroom/personal space.

If you came over to visit someone, would you find it aesthetically unpleasing to see a computer and desk in the living room instead of just couch etc? Does it make it look unclassy? I do care about how it looks.

Thanks.

flowerpower

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:38 pm
Living room hands down!

Snow White

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:50 pm
Living room. I’ve been to many houses where computer is in living room.

zaq

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:53 pm
I have never been offended, socially or esthetically, by a computer in the living room as long as mine hostess isn’t on it while pretending to be talking to me.

IMO a computer in the bedroom , like a TV, is a bad idea, and if it’s a choice between there and the LR, in the LR it goes. I would suggest getting a cabinet for it so you can shut it away for Shabbat and YT (and company!) but if not, you can cover it with a tablecloth or throw if you feel its presence detracts from the atmosphere of Shabbat.

I know a number of people whose LRs are also their home offices who throw a sheet over the whole gesheft just before Shabbat. I know people who have nice computer armoires that they close up, and one person who used to dismantle her whole computer setup and stash it in her closet, then reassemble the whole system when Shabbat was out.

dankbar

Post Sat, Dec 22 2018, 11:59 pm
Depends if you want people to see a computer when they walk in? Many schools make you sign that you have no computer

pesek zman

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 12:23 am
Why not just get a laptop that you can put away?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:28 am
dankbar wrote:
Depends if you want people to see a computer when they walk in? Many schools make you sign that you have no computer
Im going to assume that the OP is not part of that community as she mentioned that her kids watch on the computer.

Redbird

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:34 am
If you want to be able to keep an eye on your kids when they are on the computer, the LR might be more convenient.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:34 am
I would vote for the living room setup as long as you can keep the computer area neat and organized. A proper computer desk would probably be a good idea.

Another thing to consider is that your children will need to use the computer for schoolwork as they get older and having it out in the open will make monitoring it easier. Also, if they have friends over to work or play on the computer then you'll probably feel better not having them in your bedroom.

teachkids

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 6:56 am
Living room definitely in terms of supervision. Would you consider buying a new desk that has a top you can pull over the computer?

mo5

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:07 am
I have a small cupboard where the computer sits with all of its paraphernalia.
Close the cupboard and it’s a pretty wooden armoire.
Hides the mess!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:08 am
Aniother vote for the living room. If you house it in a computer armoire, nobody will see it when the armoire is closed.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 11:17 am
I love the computer in the wardrobe look. As your kids get older, you'll appreciate it if it has a nice lock on it, too.

Personally, I found that when I had my computer in my bedroom, even if the computer was turned off, it made my head feel weird. It's hard to explain, kind of like a white noise, but at a different frequency. Since I moved the computer into the living room, I sleep a lot better.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:
I am moving to a new apartment and I'm conflicted about where to set up a desk with a computer. I use it for work and my kids watch shows on it. It has always been in my bedroom because I don't think it looks nice to have it in full view in a living room when people come over. However, the new place has a bigger living room with more room for a computer. I like the idea of the kids watching in the living room instead of being in my bedroom/personal space.

If you came over to visit someone, would you find it aesthetically unpleasing to see a computer and desk in the living room instead of just couch etc? Does it make it look unclassy? I do care about how it looks.

Thanks.

Forget about how it looks, all the rabbis have said it should be treated with the same laws as yichud, it should be put in a public place..,l

salamanca

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 7:54 pm
Living Room. Not even a question.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:27 pm
so interesting- I do it bedroom. my kids can't use it without coming in to my bedroom. If O go on at night, its obvious to my husband... I felt like living room was LESS public. If not for the public aspect I probably wouldn't do bedroom. Its not right by the beds though, I h ave a big room thats weirdly shaped.

krembo

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 10:42 pm
You're better off having it out in a public area as your kids get older. Much easier to monitor that way.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 10:46 pm
If the kids will be using it definitely living room. I want my kids using a computer in a public place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics