Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear Tubes

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 3:45 pm
My son recently got tubes and Bh has been doing much better since.
He went for a follow up and the ENT found one of the tubes blocked and cleared the blockage (by suctioning it out) I was told to use ear drops for 5 days after this.

That was a week ago, now DS is having a ton of drainage oozing out of his ears. I was advised to put in ear drops when this happens but his ears are so full of fluid that the ear drops pool and can’t get in.

He also developed a low fever, is irritable, and can’t sleep.

Anyone have experience with this?

SYA

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 5:39 pm
Contact the ENT.
An ear infection is still possible with tubes.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 6:09 pm
My DS had an ear infection literally the day after tubes were inserted and he was oozing green stuff out of his ears and crying. Your regular pediatrician can check his ears as well to see if he has an infection.

Jk2018

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:28 pm
The tubes are not for preventing infections, they are for preventing complications of infections in kids more prone to infections such as permanent damage to the tympanic membrane.
Sounds like he has an active infection. Take cotton balls since cotton is very absorbent. Hold the cotton balls to the ear strongly for a few seconds each one till there is no more pus. After that you apply the antibiotic drops so it actually goes in. Apply 5 drops twice a day for a few days even after the pus clears out. Do this everytime there is major drainage. No need to go to doctor each time there's an infection because he doesn't need to prescribe the oral abx since there are tubes.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:40 pm
The issue is that he’s so full of fluid I can’t get the drops in. Usually I have no problem getting them in.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
The issue is that he’s so full of fluid I can’t get the drops in. Usually I have no problem getting them in.

The stuff coming out is good. That means the tubes are doing the job and draining the fluid properly. Call your pediatrician and explain what the issue is. They may say to wait a few days before administering the drops

amh

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 9:16 pm
I had an similiar issue as well... I made emergency appt with ENT and he drained it. He also told me the drainage was good bec it was a sign the tubes were working but I couldn't even put the drops in until after the ENT auctioned it out. I wouldn't definitely call him. My ENT told me he was happy I called...
Hatzlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics